2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

He had an interrupted season, his form was solid after recovering from a foot injury. He's not a grunt inside mid, more a replacement for Cerra & Mundy. Can't find the video anymore but he did kick an 85 metre goal for Peel in his 25 disposal breakout game, he'll be fine in the long run.
I don’t think he will be that grunt inside mid either. Never did and don’t think the Dockers do either.

Cerra is a good comparison. However Cerra in his under 18 year had some excellent contested ball percentages, something that MJ didn’t. And Cerras game at the top level is far from contested inside beast. But he can get his own ball when needed.

That’s the knock on MJ, and will ultimately determine whether he progresses to the level you expect him to. We didn’t see him improve this aspect in 2022 in the WAFL.

I don’t think he will be that grunt inside mid either. Never did and don’t think the Dockers do either.

Cerra is a good comparison. However Cerra in his under 18 year had some excellent contested ball percentages, something that MJ didn’t. And Cerras game at the top level is far from contested inside beast. But he can get his own ball when needed.

That’s the knock on MJ, and will ultimately determine whether he progresses to the level you expect him to. We didn’t see him improve this aspect in 2022 in the WAFL.
Averaged 17 touches at senior level, did ok in finals, solid ten game stretch considering he had an interrupted year. Peel coach has been giving him praise, Fremantle smart for locking him in until 2025. He'll be fine, particularly when he adds some mass to his 191cm frame, currently 80kg, I think he'll be a unit in due course. Can also kick well on both sides, much like Hewett, this will go along way to helping him succeed at the top level.

I don’t watch the juniors like others do on here. And I respect their dedication and reporting back on this forum.

But I do know that a number of recruiters had question marks on him being able to get his own ball at the top level. Not to the extent of being a clearance beast, but many clubs need to see players have the ability to win some of their own ball in a contested situation.

Whether he develops this area of his game enough to be a top three midfielder for his club will be the big question. Not sure he’s got there just yet. The WAFL probably doesn’t help him here either.

Agree with you on Erasmus.

Yeah wafl seems like an outside game?

Averaged 17 touches at senior level, did ok in finals, solid ten game stretch considering he had an interrupted year. Peel coach has been giving him praise, Fremantle smart for locking him in until 2025. He'll be fine, particularly when he adds some mass to his 191cm frame, currently 80kg, I think he'll be a unit in due course. Can also kick well on both sides, much like Hewett, this will go along way to helping him succeed at the top level.
All good. I’m not challenging your personal assessment of him.

Just giving reason as to why he dropped and the knocks on him. Sounds like he didn’t address these in 2022.

There was a reason he dropped in the draft.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I would still take Gibcus, particularly given our dwindling tall stocks.
Didn’t make myself clear. I was actually comparing Erasamus to MJ.
At the time I would have taken Erasamus instead of Gibcus also.

Now we have gone down a different path with GWS but if we had Erasamus we may have kept our picks this year and our first next.

Last edited:
Didn’t make myself clear. I was actually comparing Erasamus to MJ.
At the time I would have taken Erasmus instead of Gibcus also.

Now we have gone down a different path with GWS but if we had Erasamus we may have kept our picks this year and our first next.
I think Gibcus & Johnson tapped into the strength of the draft but you could mount an argument for Erasmus & Van Rooyen, time will tell on those combinations. I'm pleased with Gibcus, I still think there's plenty of upside.

I think Gibcus & Johnson tapped into the strength of the draft but you could mount an argument for Erasmus & Van Rooyen, time will tell on those combinations. I'm pleased with Gibcus, I still think there's plenty of upside.
We had to take Van Rooyen at one of the teen picks along with Gibcus. Changes the entire list build.

Reactions: 2 users
We had to take Van Rooyen at one of the teen picks along with Gibcus. Changes the entire list build.
JVR at best is a Jay Schulz type and more than likely won’t make it. We were right to bypass him but we should have gone Lohmann instead of Brown. Another Clarke Clusterf#&$. Added to an already long list.

I can see why Hartley, Livingston and Dimma were happy to trade 4 early picks for Taranto and Hopper given Clarke‘s history of butchering them

Brisbane‘s young talent is far in advance of ours. Umpire and ARC cheats won’t be required to beat us in finals up there in the future

Last edited:
I think I would still take Gibcus, particularly given our dwindling tall stocks.
My now disappeared post from last night was,

… I didn’t make my self clear. I was suggesting that Erasamus was to be preferred to MJ, rather than Gibcus.

But I guess in a choice between Erasmus and Gibicus I would still have gone for Erasamus.

That may have meant that this year we wouldn’t have gone so hard for two mids from GWS but that we would also have retained next years first rounder.

Last edited:
Let’s see what he does at AFL level first before being too disappointed. Obviously Richmond and other clubs including the W.A teams didn’t rate him too highly to slip that far.

My now disappeared post from last night was,

… I didn’t make my self clear. I was suggesting that Erasamus was to be preferred to MJ, rather than Gibcus.

But I guess in a choice between Erasmus and Gibicus I would still have gone for Gibicus.

That may have meant that this year we wouldn’t have gone so hard for two mids from GWS but that we would also have retained next years first rounder.
Had Gibcus gone before our pick,we would of went Hobbs .

Had Gibcus gone before our pick,we would of went Hobbs .
I very much doubt that. Hobbs no where near the player Erasamus is.

Have a sense that Dimma would have liked Hobbs but every selection over the past two seasons (since 666 and the stand rule introduction) has focused on disposal.

Hobbs is behind most on that criteria.

As it turned out we could have taken both Erasamus and Johnson last year and taken our picks towards a Hollands plus another tall this last draft van Es? and an additional tall next.

I think the value in each post rule change draft is going to slip and slide to an even greater extent than in the past, this as a result of the ongoing impact of COVID and similar virus infection.

Just maybe the Clubs focus should and has already turned almost entirely to speed and skill and away from size, taking those who may succeed,- before those who may fill a need, but who have become more and more speculative because of age and COVID interrupted development (and resulting unknown quality)?

It seems our team took such an approach this year, certainly with our limited hand, and that it was the right way to go with a hidden gem in Young balancing things up at the end.

Last edited: