2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Considering we didn't make finals last yearn barely fell into the eight this year. I wouldn't be calling that sustained dominance. We had a massive four year burst with some mediocrity before n after that burst.
We are ten years in with three flags and missed the finals twice. That’s an era of dominance.

Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I came on the draft thread expecting to read about the draft but seems trades have taken over.
All I can say is that after last years trade and draft period there was a lot of angst that we had taken a lot of flankers and not enough true midfielders. We are now adding a couple of quality midfielders this year plus we have blooded one in Sonsie who looks like he could be a quality long term mid.
We have also got the long term key backs in place in Balta and Gibcus.
Quite rightly the focus now in posts is on KPF stocks and I would be staggered if the fact that we need long term renewal in that area was news to Blair Hartley. I am sure he has his eye on someone, probably this time next year. I also think we will see Samson Ryan starting to emerge as a ruck/forward in 2023.
Never underestimate the pulling power of the tigers as a destination club.

Reactions: 9 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
The issue for me is cap space, there are other issues but thats the main one. Yes he might come good, probably won't but might. And even if he does come good, he won't be that good. Half a mill-odd for 2 or 3 years=odd is significant and could easily be the difference between retaining a good player, maybe 2, and not.
And it could mean we miss out on a gun at pick 7 or with any picks that are used to satisfy GWS, that's the lure here, Bowes is the steak knives. The salary cap issues surely being overstated given there was room for Logue. Some clearly unhappy about spending cold hard cash on top 10 picks but this is an opening I never thought possible, could be a once in a blue moon opportunity. It guarantees Jefferson at a bare minimum, could get you a sniff at Cadman, maybe it could be split even further leaving us with Keeler as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I’m actually pro Bowes deal. But a couple of points

1) You don’t do it to get Cadman at 7, he’s gone and no one splits.
2) If you do it are GWS going to want 7, 12 and 19 anyway?

What do you actually keep out of the haul? Next years first MUST stay with us.

Reactions: 3 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006

If the mandate is next year's first being wrapped up in cotton wool then we give GWS 12 & 19 plus sweeteners, we then go to work with pick 7 and see if we can squeeze in 2 quality players, I'm seeing some depth, I think Jefferson might drift, we could perhaps then recalibrate the pick to his precise value & perhaps grab another pick which puts us in the frame for Keeler. Pick 7 will be hugely popular, this is the range for Busslinger so we're bound to get enquiries.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Logue probably worth a pick in the 20-30 range.

If he's such a peripheral part then he would probably be keen to stay in the system for another couple of years, especially with a team in the finals frame. Not such a hard sell from my perspective, I certainly wouldn't fear any pitch from North Melbourne or West Coast.
So we'd be thinking we'll have either 19 or 30 available to trade for Logue had he chosen us?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Having witnessed the RFC go from cellar dweller to powerhouse I don't feel any need or inclination to copy Geelong or any other team for that matter, the steps for sustained dominance have already been put on display. You don't go & change your formula because a team won a flag after a decade trying.
Here here! Let's not forget this time last yr we were laughing our heads off at them for failing yet again, now they win a flag we should copy them? Our list strategy was set long ago so no need to deviate from that now. Doing so would set us back as we'd need a reset to do that.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

x2. It all depends on what GWS want to do a deal. That will decide weather or not we can get it all done or not. Bowes would also have to accept his deal being spread over 3-4 yrs as well. As above we'd have to get GWS deal(s) done 1st & word up GC on what we can give them so they don't go & deal with someone else before our deal is ready to hand over to them for it. I do believe our team are the best, if not among the best in the business & we'll need them to be if it can be done.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Not sure, but that would be the range for Logue.
I am only guessing. but if we'd enquired about Logue we must be thinking that we'll have 1 of those left after he GWS deal(s) are done. Could be well wide of the mark but trying to see a hint of what that deal could be.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I am only guessing. but if we'd enquired about Logue we must be thinking that we'll have 1 of those left after he GWS deal(s) are done. Could be well wide of the mark but trying to see a hint of what that deal could be.
I'm hoping we're active this trade period, there's always a window to improve your draft capital, splitting picks can earn you some mileage, for our particular needs I think it's possible we can walk away with a couple of promising talls.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I'm hoping we're active this trade period, there's always a window to improve your draft capital, splitting picks can earn you some mileage, for our particular needs I think it's possible we can walk away with a couple of promising talls.
We've got Rutten, get TT & JH & manage to get a KPF from the Draft (which Jack has mentioned on 360 is our target) would be a ripping off season.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We went the draft last year and look to be going predominately the trade route this year. That looks to be a safer list building option than hitting the draft two years in a row.
With Edwards & Lambert retired, Cotchin playing his last season and an injury prone Prestia, Taranto & Hopper are no brainers.

It's typical of the AFL to announce at the last minute the prospect of salary dumping, it's something the club probably hadn't planned for.

Would be good to somehow get a future round 1 pick for the 2023 draft. Could that happen as part of the Hopper and Taranto deal? Could we get GWS's 2023 future round 1 pick for our picks 12, 19, 30 Soldo and another player? What is Soldo worth?
Or another way to get a future round 1 pick, Graham to the Crows. Is Graham worth a future round 1 pick?

The 2023 draft is said to have a few good talls, 2 first round picks would put us in a good position to select a couple of them.

2022 midfielders (Taranto & Hopper), 2023 a couple of talls seems like a pretty good trade and draft strategy.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Reported with confidence Bowes is on $825K for each of next two years. Yikes.

Even if he agrees to pad it out over another year or two, you can't be bringing a player in that you have no need for on-field on that coin. If make it a longer contract it arguably makes it a bigger/longer noose.

It suits clubs with heaps of cap space, who are in rebuild. Not us just after you have low-balled (with correct discussions) two all time club legends so you can compete for a flag next year.

Club killer.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Even if he agrees to pad it out over another year or two, you can't be bringing a player in that you have no need for on-field on that coin. If make it a longer contract it arguably makes it a bigger/longer noose.

It suits clubs with heaps of cap space, who are in rebuild. Not us just after you have low-balled (with correct discussions) two all time club legends so you can compete for a flag next year.

Club killer.
Do they also want a pick coming back their way, as has been suggested ?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Club killer.
Bowes on 825k wow. Who's Bowes manager, he played Hawthorn and AFL wonder boy Mark Evans and the Suns like a violin if it's true, even if it is back-ended.
The Suns are laughing stock they gave away Peter Wright to the Bombers for a future 4th round pick and he kicks over 50 goals this season.

Last edited:

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Bowes on 825k wow. Who's his Bowes manager, he played Hawthorn and AFL wonder boy Mark Evans and the Suns like a violin if it's true, even if it is back-ended.
The Suns are laughing stock they gave away Peter Wright to the Bombers for a future 4th round pick and he kicks over 50 goals this season.
Just incredible whichever way you look at it. Was it 5 years? Even if he was on $1 for the first 2 or 3 it's still OTT. what were they thinking? I can't think of a case of player overpayment that comes close.