2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Is that an indication that Elijah is "enjoying" the GC a little bit too much??
Correct. Very good source. Got read the riot act.

I believe he's improved, but is a bit of an ongoing concern.

He's slipped under the radar E. Hollands. Nobody talks much about his lack of progress - knee reco not withstanding. That was a while ago now.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Correct. Very good source. Got read the riot act.

I believe he's improved, but is a bit of an ongoing concern.

He's slipped under the radar E. Hollands. Nobody talks much about his lack of progress - knee reco not withstanding. That was a while ago now.

watched GC VFL on the weekend.

neither Hollands or Andrews looked very AFL to me.

early days, yes.

prelisted academy freebie tall sandy brock looked miles ahead of first rounder Andrews to me.

Suns recruiting seems a fair way back?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
watched GC VFL on the weekend.

neither Hollands or Andrews looked very AFL to me.

early days, yes.

prelisted academy freebie tall sandy brock looked miles ahead of first rounder Andrews to me.

Suns recruiting seems a fair way back?
Lot of people on this thread liked Mac Andrew but I thought he was a big risk. But yes, early days still though.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Lot of people on this thread liked Mac Andrew but I thought he was a big risk. But yes, early days still though.
And to think they passed up on Gibcus who had the runs on the board and far less risky.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
And they wonder why they still havent played finals. Their list management is horrible.
You're right. It lacks cohesion and a sense of long term planning.
I thought they'd turned it around but last year was very odd

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
And they wonder why they still havent played finals. Their list management is horrible.
Our 1st round drafting has been poor also notwithstanding the Fiora, Tambling and JON mistakes of yesteryear.

More recently - Conca, Lennon, Corey Ellis and Higgins were all busts. RCD not looking likely either. That's 5 first rounders that should be in our best 18 now if we got them right.

We've been saved by later round and our rookie drafting from having the microscope placed fairly and squarely on our recruiting record.

Gibcus looks the best pick since Vlossy in 2012. 10 years between 1st round wins is a long time

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
More recently - Conca, Lennon, Corey Ellis and Higgins were all busts. RCD not looking likely either. That's 5 first rounders that should be in our best 18 now if we got them right.

Gibcus looks the best pick since Vlossy in 2012. 10 years between 1st round wins is a long time
Lennon, Ellis, absolute busts, no debate there. I agree on RCD too. But Conca and Higgins? Busts? Ludicrous. Conca played 150 games, 100 for a top side. 2018 had a great season as a defensive mid in the standout best side in the comp. One of our toughest players of recent times IMO. No star, and a crock, but not a bust.

Higgins also, 20 games for the best side in the comp in 2018 his debut year, amazing, good in 19 until his serious brain injury. One of the talks of the comp right now at St K. That is not a bust.

For reference, check this from a couple of years ago on success rates of various picks. Conca at 150 games is 15% above the curve for his draft pick (123 games).

As I've always said, its a numbers game, there are first rounders and first rounders, picks 1 and 2 is very different to 5 and 6 is very different to 17 and 18. This is stark and interesting reading, picks 1 and 2 are the closest thing to bankers, (guaranteed 100 gamer, 70% chance 200 gamer). pretty good odds 3 to 5. fair drop 6 to 20, then another fair drop beyond 20. Interesting, there isn't much difference in odds off success as measured by likelihood of drafting a 100 or 200 gamer in the 21-30 (35% and 13%) and 31-50 ranges (33% and 15%). This analysis was done for all drafts since 93. It was a raffle early years, I'd like to see 2000 onwards.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Lennon, Ellis, absolute busts, no debate there. I agree on RCD too. But Conca and Higgins? Busts? Ludicrous. Conca played 150 games, 100 for a top side. 2018 had a great season as a defensive mid in the standout best side in the comp. One of our toughest players of recent times IMO. No star, and a crock, but not a bust.

Higgins also, 20 games for the best side in the comp in 2018 his debut year, amazing, good in 19 until his serious brain injury. One of the talks of the comp right now at St K. That is not a bust.

For reference, check this from a couple of years ago on success rates of various picks. Conca at 150 games is 25% above the curve for his draft pick (123 games).

As I've always said, its a numbers game, there are first rounders and first rounders, picks 1 and 2 is very different to 5 and 6 is very different to 17 and 18. This is stark and interesting reading, picks 1 and 2 are the closest thing to bankers, (guaranteed 100 gamer, 70% chance 200 gamer). pretty good odds 3 to 5. fair drop 6 to 20, then another fair drop beyond 20. Interesting, there isn't much difference in odds off success as measured by likelihood of drafting a 100 or 200 gamer in the 21-30 (35% and 13%) and 31-50 ranges (33% and 15%). This analysis was done for all drafts since 93. It was a raffle early years, I'd like to see 2000 onwards.

Conca is a bust pick when you consider the next 4 picks in the draft were Heppell, Caddy, Prestia and Lynch. If comparing him to pick 40 then fair enough but at pick 6 it was a mistake.

Frank got cute taking a favorite instead of the obvious choice and he ended being a poor choice.

I didn't include Vickery who we grabbed at 8 either as I reckon he gave us good service and then the compo pick we got for him turned into Bolton so that was a massive win. Yet Ziebell was the next choice after Vickery so if splitting hairs that was a mistake also.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Conca is a bust pick when you consider the next 4 picks in the draft were Heppell, Caddy, Prestia and Lynch.
Its pointless and bad analysis to cherry pick with hindsight. On the flipside, for example, have a look at some of the players taken before Jack and Shai. Its about strike rate over time compared to other clubs.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Its pointless and bad analysis to cherry pick with hindsight. On the flipside, for example, have a look at some of the players taken before Jack and Shai. Its about strike rate over time compared to other clubs.
That's my original point. I'm not cherry picking. Our 1st round draft picks in-between Vlaustin and Gibcus have been woeful. Over a 10 year period only Rioli can be consider a senior player.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
That's my original point. I'm not cherry picking. Our 1st round draft picks in-between Vlaustin and Gibcus have been woeful. Over a 10 year period only Rioli can be consider a senior player.
Original point had Conca. Ok so you're suddenly knocking off 2 years. Higgins not a senior player? There's one that doesn't fit We traded out our 20 first rounder for last draft so there's another. Woeful based on what? The fact a few players were busts? Every side has a lot of busts, its about how many and how often and how it compares to the competition.

And we've been way above the curve for second rounders, Balta and Bolton both above expectations and their cohort even if they were first round.

Drafting is comparative and big picture. I'm trying to be objective. You're cherry picking with perfect hindsight.

Reactions: 2 users