2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Or we could draft the next Paddy Dow , Richard Tambling or Toumpas

The way im looking at this / these trades is we just missed out on a top 2 finish with the stupid games we lost
Crows , norf , Gold Coast etc

taranto & Hopper would have made a difference and i have no doubt these 2 boys are good enough to play 7-8 years similar to Prestia who is now about to enter his 7th year with richmond
Those were reaches & the result of poor recruiting. Dow at 3 was a farce but typical of SOS thinking he's a maverick, worst eye for mids I can recall. Toumpas was a last minute switcheroo after Wines had been pencilled in for most of the season. Tambling was the result of Terry Wallace's penchant for outside runners, that list the equal of SOS in the field of draft butchery.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Those were reaches & the result of poor recruiting. Dow at 3 was a farce but typical of SOS thinking he's a maverick, worst eye for mids I can recall. Toumpas was a last minute switcheroo after Wines had been pencilled in for most of the season. Tambling was the result of Terry Wallace's penchant for outside runners, that list the equal of SOS in the field of draft butchery.
Top 5 picks are sacred imo but with where Richmond is at the moment i dont believe #13 + #21 (what these picks will become) is too much to give up for a player like Taranto for 7-8 years whilst we are still in our window.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Top 5 picks are sacred imo but with where Richmond is at the moment i dont believe #13 + #21 (what these picks will become) is too much to give up for a player like Taranto for 7-8 years whilst we are still in our window.
We shall see, Riewoldt was pick 13, Rance pick 18, these picks already have some historical context. I think there will be some value in this range & even if you examine the RFC busts you will find a couple of Brownlow medalists coming in a pick later.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I'm actually expecting pick 30 to be traded for Hopper, don't think we'll be a big player this year (or next year for that matter).
Any chance we can trade a fringe best 22 for a lower pick? I suppose it all depends on who we want to keep and not yet delist.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
We shall see, Riewoldt was pick 13, Rance pick 18, these picks already have some historical context. I think there will be some value in this range & even if you examine the RFC busts you will find a couple of Brownlow medalists coming in a pick later.
True but with more recent we also have had more busts.

I just think with where we are at now with Dusty , Shai , Prestia , Grimes , Jack , Lynch etc we are in our window and 2 players like Taranto & Hopper could be the difference in winning a flag or coming 4th

But worse case scenario they keep us competitive and a finals player allowing Richmond to keep our younger players from moving
We were never getting a player like Taranto for pick #13 but its the #19 that is making it look overs if that 19 was 24 we all would have said its a good deal.

Dylan Shiel went for #9 + #11 with a 2nd back from what i can remember and Cerra #6+3rd
If we were holding a pick like #6/#7 that would have been a straight swap.

Now who do we take with pick #84 ;-)

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Any chance we can trade a fringe best 22 for a lower pick? I suppose it all depends on who we want to keep and not yet delist.
I wouldn't expect too much interest in our cattle, RCD better as a hold, Soldo worth half of Grundy's value & that is unlikely to be anything beyond a mid teens pick. I think Francis Jackson did a stellar job creating value, Clarke has struggled a bit in this department.

• Haha

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I'm actually expecting pick 30 to be traded for Hopper, don't think we'll be a big player this year (or next year for that matter).
Me too, plus Soldo with two years salary to boot. It will be down to the wire but I think Blair will get it done.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
True but with more recent we also have had more busts.

I just think with where we are at now with Dusty , Shai , Prestia , Grimes , Jack , Lynch etc we are in our window and 2 players like Taranto & Hopper could be the difference in winning a flag or coming 4th

But worse case scenario they keep us competitive and a finals player allowing Richmond to keep our younger players from moving
We were never getting a player like Taranto for pick #13 but its the #19 that is making it look overs if that 19 was 24 we all would have said its a good deal.

Dylan Shiel went for #9 + #11 with a 2nd back from what i can remember and Cerra #6+3rd
If we were holding a pick like #6/#7 that would have been a straight swap.

Now who do we take with pick #84 ;-)
The worst case scenario is actually having two players who follow a similar path to Shiel, Treloar, Smith, Scully, Setterfield, O'Rourke, Williams etc.

The best case scenario is Steele or Adams but what makes these deals exceptional is they didn't break the bank either. Losing two top 20 picks usually doesn't end well, particularly when dealing with the Greater Western Swindle.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
That's overs, can't wait for the Hopper highway robbery.

Ill swap 2 late first rounders for a 24 yo fit classy contested proven mid any year, in any draft

If i could future trade forever and trade away the early draft for that type every year (when ever our contention window us open - not in full bottom out rebuild), id push the button.

The draft is a lottery. Weve swapped 2 tickets for top prize imho,

And im a punter

I'll bet both nuts we get a better 7 years out of Taranto (24-31)

Than brisbane do out of both ashcroft and fletcher (18-25)

As always, im comfortable being wrong

Last edited:

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Ill swap 2 late first rounders for a 24 yo fit classy contested proven mid any year, in any draft

If i could future trade forever and trade away the early draft for that type every year, id push the button.

And im a punter
We'll have to agree to disagree, nothing screams classy to me, a good honest & hardworking mid yes but if the expectation is that he'll become the next Petracca then I suspect there will be some disappointment emanating from the house of PRE.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This thread reminds me of the one on triple premiership player Dion Prestia at the end of 2016
Let’s be clear here. We are not Carlton, we don’t throw deals at every out of contract player going around. Our targets are few and far between in the last 6 years. Nankervis, Prestia, Caddy, Lynch … that’s about it. Now Taranto and Hopper.
We target specific players for specific reasons and our record is very good in this space.

Reactions: 6 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

If i could future trade forever and trade away the early draft for that type every year (when ever our contention window us open - not in full bottom out rebuild), id push the button.

And im a punter

I'll bet both nuts we get a better 7 years out of Taranto (24-31)

Than brisbane do out of both ashcroft and fletcher (18-25)

As always, im comfortable being wrong
From a historical perspective the Duke of Spook’s post probably encapsulates your thoughts there.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
We'll have to agree to disagree, nothing screams classy to me, a good honest & hardworking mid yes but if the expectation is that he'll become the next Petracca then I suspect there will be some disappointment emanating from the house of PRE.

Petracca isnt the benchmark.

Prestia-like trade is. It was a minority were stoked with 6 for dion.

12 and 19 on points is around 6 isnt it?

Plus the guts is all about balance and roles,

And Dusty, tarranto, hopper, cotchy, dion and shai is probably the 2nd best balanced midfield that weve ever had, if not the best

Happy to agree to disagree

Last edited: