2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
This thread reminds me of the one on triple premiership player Dion Prestia at the end of 2016
Let’s be clear here. We are not Carlton, we don’t throw deals at every out of contract player going around. Our targets are few and far between in the last 6 years. Nankervis, Prestia, Caddy, Lynch … that’s about it. Now Taranto and Hopper.
We target specific players for specific reasons and our record is very good in this space.
Prestia was GC's second best mid & came tinsel wrapped with Josh Caddy, 2 picks used & a host of A grade talent to compliment him. Taranto was probably GWS's 4th best mid, he isn't much of a damaging forward either, certainly not a player who would be tough to match up on. These two aren't comparable, not from a playing perspective & not from an age demographic of our current squad.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Petracca isnt the benchmark.

Prestia-like trade is. It was a minority were stoked with 6 for dion.

12 and 19 on points is around 6 isnt it?

Plus the guts is all about balance and roles,

And Dusty, tarranto, hopper, cotchy, dion and shai is probably the 2nd best balanced midfield that weve ever had, if not the best

Happy to agree to disagree

This is it ezy. We aren't buying the 2021/22 version of Taranto. We are buying the 2019 version of TT. Contrary to what bullus says, TT didn't get moved out of the middle because he was their 4th best midfielder, but because he had flexibility which a lot of the others didn't. Its the same reason why Cameron played Coniglio forward for so much of last year, they could play forward.

The player ware buying is this one. TT season from 2019 (when he was their B&F and their best in a GF), compared to prestia from last season. We are buying another Dion, totally agree with you there.

1664789306928.png

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
HARRY LEMMEY

Club:
West Adelaide/South Australia

Position: Key forward

Size: 199cm, 93kg

Champion Data player comparison: Brody Mihocek

Champion Data says: Lemmey’s marking was a strength across his seven SANFL 18’s matches last season, rated above average for both marks and forward 50 marks among key forwards.

Foxfooty.com.au says: Arguably the top key-position prospect of this year’s class, Lemmey looms as a player that will be taken at the pointy end of the draft. He had a taste of SANFL league action last year, featuring in two matches late in the season and kicking one goal in each game. He’s a terrific size for a key forward, but he also possesses a great skill set, highlighted by his excellent kicking ability. Recruiters are keen to see Lemmey make the most of his athleticism and mobility by spending more time in the ruck this season. All things going to plan, he’s likely to join Aaron Francis, Izak Rankine, Will Day and Riley Thilthorpe as West Adelaide products to be taken in the first round. Oh, and he’s a Crows fan.

So he has gone from top 10 draft pick to 30 - 50 range.

Just shows how fixated people are on the now and forgetting what a player has done throughout their junior career. You don’t lose ability. Similar trajectory to Sonsie.

If we have a pick in the 30’s and he is still on the board you have to pull the trigger.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Prestia was GC's second best mid & came tinsel wrapped with Josh Caddy, 2 picks used & a host of A grade talent to compliment him. Taranto was probably GWS's 4th best mid, he isn't much of a damaging forward either, certainly not a player who would be tough to match up on. These two aren't comparable, not from a playing perspective & not from an age demographic of our current squad.
Yes we know your opinion on Taranto as a player and there are many of us who disagree.
You have also missed my point which is we target very few players and when we do we are invariably successful. I also wasn’t comparing Prestia to Taranto as players but comparing the attitude to them and their trade value, which is eerily the same from some. It’s all very well to say Prestia was the suns 2nd best bid now but to many this time 6 years ago he was an over priced midget
The point is that we are not a club who throws mud at a wall and hopes some of it sticks. We selectively target players to fit needs.
I’m happy to back a successful track record but also I believe both Taranto and Hopper are very good all round footballers who are going to make a big difference to our team.
Time will tell.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
HARRY LEMMEY

Club:
West Adelaide/South Australia

Position: Key forward

Size: 199cm, 93kg

Champion Data player comparison: Brody Mihocek

Champion Data says: Lemmey’s marking was a strength across his seven SANFL 18’s matches last season, rated above average for both marks and forward 50 marks among key forwards.

Foxfooty.com.au says: Arguably the top key-position prospect of this year’s class, Lemmey looms as a player that will be taken at the pointy end of the draft. He had a taste of SANFL league action last year, featuring in two matches late in the season and kicking one goal in each game. He’s a terrific size for a key forward, but he also possesses a great skill set, highlighted by his excellent kicking ability. Recruiters are keen to see Lemmey make the most of his athleticism and mobility by spending more time in the ruck this season. All things going to plan, he’s likely to join Aaron Francis, Izak Rankine, Will Day and Riley Thilthorpe as West Adelaide products to be taken in the first round. Oh, and he’s a Crows fan.

So he has gone from top 10 draft pick to 30 - 50 range.

Just shows how fixated people are on the now and forgetting what a player has done throughout their junior career. You don’t lose ability. Similar trajectory to Sonsie.

If we have a pick in the 30’s and he is still on the board you have to pull the trigger.
You’d have to give it some serious thought. I won’t be surprised if there’s a club/s that still have him rated higher than 30 and he ends up going before that or at least somewhere close to it ie 30-35 or so.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
You’d have to give it some serious thought. I won’t be surprised if there’s a club/s that still have him rated higher than 30 and he ends up going before that or at least somewhere close to it ie 30-35 or so.
What has been the knock on him?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Yes we know your opinion on Taranto as a player and there are many of us who disagree.
You have also missed my point which is we target very few players and when we do we are invariably successful. I also wasn’t comparing Prestia to Taranto as players but comparing the attitude to them and their trade value, which is eerily the same from some. It’s all very well to say Prestia was the suns 2nd best bid now but to many this time 6 years ago he was an over priced midget
The point is that we are not a club who throws mud at a wall and hopes some of it sticks. We selectively target players to fit needs.
I’m happy to back a successful track record but also I believe both Taranto and Hopper are very good all round footballers who are going to make a big difference to our team.
Time will tell.
I always rated Prestia, never once did I suggest he wasn't A grade. He would have been a multiple B&F winner if not for Gaz, never ever an issue the player.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
What has been the knock on him?
Well beyond the simple fact that his performances haven’t been anything great this year - especially in the Champs - there’s a view amongst a lot of clubs that he lacks competitiveness. He gives up early in games if things aren’t going his way. They’re not sure if he’s capable of being “the man” up forward.

Mitigating some of the risk with him is that he can play down back as well, which is where he’s played mostly in the second half of the year at U/18 SANFL level. He’s been acceptable there but personally, I don’t think he’ll get away with playing down back at AFL level.

His skill set is high though ie marking, kicking, movement. You might take a punt on him on that basis and that he might take a while to develop.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
This is it ezy. We aren't buying the 2021/22 version of Taranto. We are buying the 2019 version of TT. Contrary to what bullus says, TT didn't get moved out of the middle because he was their 4th best midfielder, but because he had flexibility which a lot of the others didn't. Its the same reason why Cameron played Coniglio forward for so much of last year, they could play forward.

The player ware buying is this one. TT season from 2019 (when he was their B&F and their best in a GF), compared to prestia from last season. We are buying another Dion, totally agree with you there.

View attachment 16988
Disposal efficiency is the big red light, those numbers not amazing.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Well beyond the simple fact that his performances haven’t been anything great this year - especially in the Champs - there’s a view amongst a lot of clubs that he lacks competitiveness. He gives up early in games if things aren’t going his way. They’re not sure if he’s capable of being “the man” up forward.

Mitigating some of the risk with him is that he can play down back as well, which is where he’s played mostly in the second half of the year at U/18 SANFL level. He’s been acceptable there but personally, I don’t think he’ll get away with playing down back at AFL level.

His skill set is high though ie marking, kicking, movement. You might take a punt on him on that basis and that he might take a while to develop.
Just checked all the info/videos of him, and I reckon he could easily become the bargain of this draft. Plenty to like, lays a good tackle and smother also.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Ben Griffens MK2?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ben Griffens MK2?
One or two similarities maybe. Think Griffens was more athletic though.

I think Griffens was just starting to realise his potential when he started knocking himself out wasn’t he ? Whether he’d have actually fully realised that potential however, is another question.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Just checked all the info/videos of him, and I reckon he could easily become the bargain of this draft. Plenty to like, lays a good tackle and smother also.
His form last year was impressive, he kicks through the ball & can roost it a long way. There were a few times where he had to take the knocks, I don't think he's timid, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt given Darling & Frankin also had poor second years.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
One or two similarities maybe. Think Griffens was more athletic though.

I think Griffens was just starting to realise his potential when he started knocking himself out wasn’t he ? Whether he’d have actually fully realised that potential however, is another question.

A good player with some great skills who was just coming into his best form.

Suffered badly from concussion injuries, which forced his early retirement.
As I recall one of his last games was against St Kilda where he had what appeared to be a very minor collision to the back of his head that knocked him out cold.

Don’t appreciate much the way he is regularly disrespected on this site.

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I always rated Prestia, never once did I suggest he wasn't A grade. He would have been a multiple B&F winner if not for Gaz, never ever an issue the player.
My original post wasn’t directed at you specifically.
I also rated Prestia very highly as I do with Taranto