2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
So has Charlie Naish disappeared from being a potential AFL father son candidate?, in his early junior years' he supposedly showed signs of being better and tougher than Patrick, (which he would want to be), but I can't even see if he is still playing footy anywhere.

Stewlander

Tiger Cub
Jan 20, 2016
So has Charlie Naish disappeared from being a potential AFL father son candidate?, in his early junior years' he supposedly showed signs of being better and tougher than Patrick, (which he would want to be), but I can't even see if he is still playing footy anywhere.
Playing for Northern Knights as an underage player. Showing a bit which is promising!

Reactions: 1 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
He's for 2023 he plays for the northern knights and has played well in a couple of matches,he is taller than Patrick at 186cm ,l think he is playing school football at the moment .
Im sure the Tiges will be telling him what he needs to work on ,he is still quite skinny,l think he is 72kg.

Reactions: 2 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Itll certainly be one spot Bill.

Will Ashcroft is a certainty to go to Lions FS (if he nominates them which is highly likely) top 5.

I cant think of any FS who will go top 10.
Jasper Fletcher (lions academy/bris FS) gets 3 votes and plaudits everytime he plays, but isnt that good. Rookie at best.

Ditto Cooper Harvey (boomers boy). North will take him nostalogically, but 3rd round imo.

I havnt seen any first rounders in the Academys - someone may emerge for The Allies in the u 18 champs, but at this stage, no. Id imagine Nick Madden (gws academy) could be the first academy selection at this stage - enourmous mobile hardworking ruckman - youlle see him at first ruck for Allies.

So in summary - i expect our first pick will move back one spot
His family lives in Melbourne why would it be highly likely he selects lions , I bet he doesnt

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I mentioned this kid last year, but keep an eye on Elijah Hewett from Swan Districts.

Thoughts on George Wardlaw ? Needs to size up a bit, but otherwise he’s exactly what we need in our midfield. Warming to him.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Jaspa Fletcher at the Lions Academy - parents forgot an ‘R’ clearly. Not good with ‘E’ ‘s either.

Crazy kids….

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I mentioned this kid last year, but keep an eye on Elijah Hewett from Swan Districts.

Thoughts on George Wardlaw ? Needs to size up a bit, but otherwise he’s exactly what we need in our midfield. Warming to him.
He's expected to go early ,doubt he will be around the Tiges pick ,BUT a average champs might change that

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The club is desperate for a developing tall forward. Must draft one at all costs. Should be our priority.
Then recruit a seasoned contested mid or two with the money we accumulate through retirements.
I believe we are at critical juncture and am a little concerned with rumours I’m hearing of offering Jack and Trent another year. Unless it’s on dramatically reduced terms, we could find ourselves in no man’s land. They obviously provide leadership and quality on the field but it robs younger players of opportunities. Very tricky situation.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
The club is desperate for a developing tall forward. Must draft one at all costs. Should be our priority.
Then recruit a seasoned contested mid or two with the money we accumulate through retirements.
I believe we are at critical juncture and am a little concerned with rumours I’m hearing of offering Jack and Trent another year. Unless it’s on dramatically reduced terms, we could find ourselves in no man’s land. They obviously provide leadership and quality on the field but it robs younger players of opportunities. Very tricky situation.
By the looks of it there's hardly any worthy replacements for either Jack & Cotch.Ross and RCD have failed to take their chances.Ryan the only fwd and he looks miles away.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

What would you do with our forward line if Jack retires? Who plays there? I have no problem with Jack playing on, and I also don't really have a problem with Cotch playing on. They set standards and if our mids aren't hitting those standards, why do you want them to be gifted games?

If I'd heard Edwards in the same mix I'd be more concerned as I don't think he is playing good footy right now, but if we lost Shedda and Lambert to retirement this year I wouldn't be upset giving Jack and Cotch another year. We have plenty of others we can delist, like Aarts, Martyn to name 2. Add Parker and potentially RCD.

We only have a couple of good picks this year (3) so I'm not sure we want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Reactions: 9 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
What would you do with our forward line if Jack retires? Who plays there? I have no problem with Jack playing on, and I also don't really have a problem with Cotch playing on. They set standards and if our mids aren't hitting those standards, why do you want them to be gifted games?

If I'd heard Edwards in the same mix I'd be more concerned as I don't think he is playing good footy right now, but if we lost Shedda and Lambert to retirement this year I wouldn't be upset giving Jack and Cotch another year. We have plenty of others we can delist, like Aarts, Martyn to name 2. Add Parker and potentially RCD.

We only have a couple of good picks this year (3) so I'm not sure we want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
As I stated, we need to recruit some mids with the money we have available through retirements. Not saying I want Jack and Trent gone. Just highlighting the situation we’re in with lack of quality mids and how to rectify it quickly. We could also aim to recruit a tall forward but they’re rare as hens teeth. And expensive.
If we aim to maintain the status quo, we’ll find ourselves Ninethmond again very soon.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Midfield is the priority.

We have Balta who kicked 8 goals in 2.5 games earlier in the year in his first real go up forward. Air Gibcus might end up forward. Ryan has a future as a forward/ruck. Nyuon has a future down back. Even Miller might have one. It's doubtful Ross, RCD or Martyn have much of a future. Dow more likely, Sonsie yes, Clarke yes, but we'll still lack a power strike mid or two coming through (we had three of the best at our peak).

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
As I stated, we need to recruit some mids with the money we have available through retirements. Not saying I want Jack and Trent gone. Just highlighting the situation we’re in with lack of quality mids and how to rectify it quickly. We could also aim to draft a tall forward but they’re rare as hens teeth. And expensive.
If we aim to maintain the status quo, we’ll find ourselves Ninethmond again very soon.
Yeah agree and I don't think anyone is suggesting we keep the status quo, we need to continue to evolve the list whether that be through the draft, trade or free agency.

There are a number of mids we should enquire about that can support us, but just going back to the original concern I don't think adding an extra year for Cotch or Jack would make too much difference, particularly in Jacks case. In fact with Jack it could help, ie. Jack stays on for 2023, then we go after a FA someone like Himmelberg from the Giants who is a RFA at the end of 2023.

Reactions: 1 user