2023 Women's World Cup | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Women's World Cup

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I think this deserves a separate thread from the Matildas thread, especially now that we're a week away and there are friendlies going on at the moment. Matildas v France at Marvel tomorrow night has been announced as a sellout. It will be a record crowd for a Matildas friendly on Australia soil.

Full schedule is as follows:

TODAY3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Do people think there is enough made of this coming to Aus?

Think, my humble soccer code ( women’s) , we have a great chance being the last 4.

We are good enough to get to the final.

We have the best player in the world. Holds the key to the cup!

Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Actually not many matches in Melbourne.

My understanding is that Football Australia didn't even make the effort to approach the VIC Government about getting access to bigger stadiums in Melbourne. Probably still a bit burnt by the experience of the 2022 mens world cup bid a decade ago, and because they probably always wanted the big games in Sydney.

Do people think there is enough made of this coming to Aus?

No, but that's not a surprise. This will change in about a week or 2 when people wake up to the enormity of this event. Can't wait til next Thursday.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
My understanding is that Football Australia didn't even make the effort to approach the VIC Government about getting access to bigger stadiums in Melbourne. Probably still a bit burnt by the experience of the 2022 mens world cup bid a decade ago, and because they probably always wanted the big games in Sydney.
in fairness i think FIFA's rules around access to stadium's and advertising in stadiums meant the chance of the MCG or Docklands being available were next to nil, regardless of the government's or the AFL's cooperation.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
in fairness i think FIFA's rules around access to stadium's and advertising in stadiums meant the chance of the MCG or Docklands being available were next to nil, regardless of the government's or the AFL's cooperation.

I mean, Marvel and the MCG are not appropriate stadiums for Football/Sokkah. And i think restricting the AAMI Park capacity at 30,000 all those years ago was a massive own goal by the VIC Govt/AFL.

However, the final should 100% have been at the MCG. And probably the Canada game as well. Yes, FIFA do have rules around access to stadiums. But the opening game being moved from Allianz to Accor stadium due to demand, despite the NRL State of Origin being held there 8 days prior, tells me that FIFA are flexible when they want to be.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I mean, Marvel and the MCG are not appropriate stadiums for Football/Sokkah. And i think restricting the AAMI Park capacity at 30,000 all those years ago was a massive own goal by the VIC Govt/AFL.

However, the final should 100% have been at the MCG. And probably the Canada game as well. Yes, FIFA do have rules around access to stadiums. But the opening game being moved from Allianz to Accor stadium due to demand, despite the NRL State of Origin being held there 8 days prior, tells me that FIFA are flexible when they want to be.

FIFA operate from an approved stadia model, so when assessing the World Cup bid (prior to granting the bid) they will approve a set group of stadia. Accor is a stadium that was already approved being as many (including the final) knock out games were already scheduled there, which is why FIFA were open to the venue change.

The biggest issue was that the bid didn't include either Marvel or the MCG so they couldn't move the Matildas game from AAMI once it was awarded to Melbourne.

Yes the build of AAMI was a massive own goal in not being able to expand the capacity.

It does however feel very strange that the "farewell" game from the Matildas before the world cup is being played at Marvel when their actual world cup game is being played at the much smaller AAMI.

BTW it is a bid bizarre that no-one seems to be aware this is going on. I haven't yet booked my flights and accomodation for the final, yet even looking today the costs are still cheap for a time period when an event is on. I mean Taylor Swift books some concerts in Melbourne and Sydney and the flight prices from Perth rise by $2k and hotel accommodation is exhausted yet less than a week out from the start of the world cup, and on final weekend I can still get flights into and out of Sydney for like $100.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It does however feel very strange that the "farewell" game from the Matildas before the world cup is being played at Marvel when their actual world cup game is being played at the much smaller AAMI.

My theory is that the VIC Govt realised they monumentally effed up when they saw the scale of the ticket sales last October and offered to host tonight's friendly in an attempt to save face.

BTW it is a bid bizarre that no-one seems to be aware this is going on. I haven't yet booked my flights and accomodation for the final, yet even looking today the costs are still cheap for a time period when an event is on. I mean Taylor Swift books some concerts in Melbourne and Sydney and the flight prices from Perth rise by $2k and hotel accommodation is exhausted yet less than a week out from the start of the world cup, and on final weekend I can still get flights into and out of Sydney for like $100.

I mean, isn't that a good thing? For the Round of 16, i have tickets to both games in Brisbane and Sydney on August 7. If we top the group we play in Sydney, if we are runners up, we play in Brisbane.

I purchased cheapie flights to Brisbane months ago. And I was planning on driving to Sydney had we topped the group. But if flights are still cheap, maybe I can still grab a last minute cheapie flight to Sydney.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Scored my ticket to the final. Now just need Kerr and Co to get us there.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
My theory is that the VIC Govt realised they monumentally effed up when they saw the scale of the ticket sales last October and offered to host tonight's friendly in an attempt to save face.

I mean, isn't that a good thing? For the Round of 16, i have tickets to both games in Brisbane and Sydney on August 7. If we top the group we play in Sydney, if we are runners up, we play in Brisbane.

I purchased cheapie flights to Brisbane months ago. And I was planning on driving to Sydney had we topped the group. But if flights are still cheap, maybe I can still grab a last minute cheapie flight to Sydney.
Its good for me as I haven't booked yet, but its not really indicative of high demand.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Mary Fowler scores after coming on as a sub, she really is Johnny on the spot when coming off the bench, Aust 1 - France 0

Reactions: 1 user