2023 Women's World Cup | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Women's World Cup

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah I think it will be interesting to see where it goes, but I think that needs to start at club level. How can they ensure that more eyes get onto womens football at club level. Whilst I felt watching last night like I was watching a game of football (it could have been men or women out there, the skill level was very good from both teams) its what happens now and how more people can watch the game. We are see the ridiculous sums of money being paid for mens footballs, meanwhile the world record transfer fee in the womens game is about US$600k (Keira Walsh to Barcelona last year), which I think is an indication of where the game is at financially.

If for example, you were an Arsenal / Man Utd / Man City fan, how do they get to a position where the same people watch both the men and the women? Double headers? Maybe that would work.

A remarkable stat on Spain is before this tournament, they had won 1 WC game from 7. Then they go on and win it, which is a huge jump forward. I don't see the Balkan states really pushing womens sport IMO, so I suspect we will see growth in western europe far more, and probably in South America. I think you could be right on Africa too. Physically they are perfect for the sport IMO, maybe we see the first WC winner from Africa coming in the womens game, which would be enormous for their continent IMO.
The former Yugoslavia is no stranger to women’s sport. They do produce strong basketball, volleyball, tennis, handball and track n field female ranks. along side their male counterparts. So not a stretch to foresee them getting more heavily involved in women’s football alongside their men’s programs.

Tying into this, I’ve never really understood why basketball has long been accepted as a perfectly normalised sporting activity for women, but soccer/football took so much longer to gain the same cultural acceptance. I wouldn’t say soccer/football is really anymore physically combative than basketball.

Jukes Extended 2.0

Tiger Cub
Jan 28, 2023
The Spaniard taking the penalty was never going to score. She looked scared.

Keepers are allowed, and to some extent expected, to be different.
Especially when the keeper was clearly off her line.
Poms played dirty against the Aussies and Spain, glad to see them lose.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Especially when the keeper was clearly off her line.
Poms played dirty against the Aussies and Spain, glad to see them lose.

Or maybe you don't know the rule (like most people that have stated this).

As per the FIFA rules, she must have at least 1 foot either touching, in line with or behind the goal line. Her right foot is above the goal line as shown in this picture.

Attachments

• 9d385d0e109b734e4c80ab31400d64d5855c52bf.jpg
    9d385d0e109b734e4c80ab31400d64d5855c52bf.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Have a look at the image I posted, she wasn't. Her right foot is above the goal line and thats whats allowed. Her whole body doesn't need to be on the line.
I did. I read that. Yours isn’t very clear, goal post covering the line. She might have started her right foot there, but she wouldn’t know if she dragged it off when concentrating on the kickers run up.
Look at the image I posted. Much clearer. “no ball” :giggle:
Not that it matters much now, Spain didn’t need it.
What’s old Pissy pants Piers have to say ….. or is he still celebrating Englands Ashes win :))

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Piers is an embarassment to England.

The image I posted is perfectly clear, the one you posted is one of those angles that tricks the mind, as RFC supporters we all know about that having seen the crap dribbled out after the screwjob at the Gabba last year.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Piers is an embarassment to England.

The image I posted is perfectly clear, the one you posted is one of those angles that tricks the mind, as RFC supporters we all know about that having seen the crap dribbled out after the screwjob at the Gabba last year.
Agree on pissy pants Piers.
Well it certainly tricked my mind. After doing a masters trigonometry study and calculation, I could see she was well off her line.
*edit* even before doing any calculations I could see she was off her line.
Maybe my image is correct and your tricks the mind. Seeing as the crossbar is covering the line. Have you got the VAR image? :giggle:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agree on pissy pants Piers.
Well it certainly tricked my mind. After doing a masters trigonometry study and calculation, I could see she was well off her line.
*edit* even before doing any calculations I could see she was off her line.
Maybe my image is correct and your tricks the mind. Seeing as the crossbar is covering the line. Have you got the VAR image? :giggle:

Pretty sure the one I posted was tghe VAR image haha, compared to the ones that are taken from behind the goal by the cameramen that photo was taken by the drone over the goal.

Who knows, if the AFL had one of those we might have managed to stop those pricks from Geelong winning the premiership last year.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I'd hazard a guess that Hermoso has played her last game for Spain.

Either she will retire (its hard to continue playing when the FA calls you a liar) after her side of the story is proven true, or they will say Rubiales side of the story is true and she will be blacklisted from being called up by Spain.

A very ugly conclusion to a terrific tournament by Spain. The Spanish FA have read the room very wrong IMO, and after a great win the players hold a lot of the cards right now.

Though this could have all been avoided (and this is the bit that Rubiales and the FA have missed), is why did Rubiales feel the need to "ask for a peck" as he has said. He wouldn't do that to the men, so why does he think a kiss on the lips is the correct way for the president of the FA to behave regardless of consent.

Iker Casillas was spot on when he said that this week should have been about celebrating their womens achievements but all thats being spoken about is this kiss.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

I'd hazard a guess that Hermoso has played her last game for Spain.

Either she will retire (its hard to continue playing when the FA calls you a liar) after her side of the story is proven true, or they will say Rubiales side of the story is true and she will be blacklisted from being called up by Spain.

A very ugly conclusion to a terrific tournament by Spain. The Spanish FA have read the room very wrong IMO, and after a great win the players hold a lot of the cards right now.

Though this could have all been avoided (and this is the bit that Rubiales and the FA have missed), is why did Rubiales feel the need to "ask for a peck" as he has said. He wouldn't do that to the men, so why does he think a kiss on the lips is the correct way for the president of the FA to behave regardless of consent.

Iker Casillas was spot on when he said that this week should have been about celebrating their womens achievements but all thats being spoken about is this kiss.
She felt 'vulnerable'.....FMD. Isn't this the woke?

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
WTF? Women feeling vulnerable when men force themselves on them is nothing to do with whatever you think woke is.
All other women that got a hard grasp in his hands along with a kiss didn't complain.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
All other women that got a hard grasp in his hands along with a kiss didn't complain.
He grabbed her face and planted one on her lips. How many others did he do that too?

And what has that got to do with woke?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

All the other women were kissed on the cheek, why did he feel the need to kiss her on the lips?

In terms of feeling vulnerable, what was she supposed to do? She was on a stage with millions of people watching, was she supposed to hit him? Push him over? Thats what she means by feeling vulnerable.

He says he kissed her like he kissed his kids, I kissed my kids (both girls) like that when they were under 10, but not since then.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
All the other women were kissed on the cheek, why did he feel the need to kiss her on the lips?

In terms of feeling vulnerable, what was she supposed to do? She was on a stage with millions of people watching, was she supposed to hit him? Push him over? Thats what she means by feeling vulnerable.

He says he kissed her like he kissed his kids, I kissed my kids (both girls) like that when they were under 10, but not since then.
Yeah OK, just thought she overreacted as an opportunity to gain attention. He says it was mutual and with consent. It's just terrible situations like this happen after a great win and now ends up in court.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah OK, just thought she overreacted as an opportunity to gain attention. He says it was mutual and with consent.
And she said it wasn't, but you automatically believe him over her?

This bloke, who felt the need to grab his crotch while celebrating the win?
rubiales-creep.jpg