2023 Women's World Cup | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Women's World Cup

sure, but countries where Football is, and always has been big...

and didn't see either of them do much at this Cup...
Sweden less than half the population of Australia. Consistent semi finalist in the women's game and regular knock out rounds in the men's.

Reactions: 1 user
So we boost funding and have a great soccer side, but none of them have anywhere to live.

We could call them the homlessyroos?

*note: i made the 180deg opposite argument on the macquarie stadium in tassie.

A question to those who understand this game;

England appear a class above spain to me; better coached; more disciplined; tougher.

Do they win?

So we boost funding and have a great soccer side, but none of them have anywhere to live.

We could call them the homlessyroos?

*note: i made the 180deg opposite argument on the macquarie stadium in tassie.

A question to those who understand this game;

England appear a class above spain to me; better coached; more disciplined; tougher.

Do they win?
I think Spain at their flamboyant best can beat England. But there is just so much difference between their best and their worst. Just not the same consistency as the English. And Spain are not quite at full strength. Due to disputes with the coaching staff, some of Spain's players boycotted the tournament.

• Love
I think Spain at their flamboyant best can beat England. But there is just so much difference between their best and their worst. Just not the same consistency as the English. And Spain are not quite at full strength. Due to disputes with the coaching staff, some of Spain's players boycotted the tournament.

Yeah that was my lay-observation; mercurial V clinical.

And i suspect that although it only takes one goal to win a game of soccer, it take discipline, consistency and unrelenting toughness (with a dash of mercurial) to win the big titles?

Same as any sport?

the rule that dictated willy tsonga and gael monfries are perennial quarter finalists but never won a slam.

Theres exceptions, of course.

But i think England comfortably. Ill say 3-1

Last edited:
Yeah that was my lay-observation; mercurial V clinical.

And i suspect that although it only takes one goal to win a game of soccer, it take discipline, consistency and unrelenting toughness (with a dash of mercurial) to win the big titles?

Same as any sport?

the rule that dictated willy tsonga and gael monfries never won a slam.

Theres exceptions, of course.

But i think England comfortably. Ill say 3-1
It can be the old rock/paper/scissors analogy too. Certain styles match up comparatively better in relation to others. I just wonder whether Sweden might have been a slightly better, more consistent match up against England. Either way, heart says Spain, head says England.

To win a single match you can be lucky. (red card on oppo, penalty, freak goal etc.)

To win a tournament you need to be a great team with few deficiencies. We saw how that little drop in class at the back killed the Matildas in two matches (Nigeria and England). Despite that we had some great chances to go 2-2 and that probably meant the 3rd goal for England doesn't happen as we were really pressing.

Anyone's game in the final.

Reactions: 1 users
It can be the old rock/paper/scissors analogy too. Certain styles match up comparatively better in relation to others. I just wonder whether Sweden might have been a slightly better, more consistent match up against England. Either way, heart says Spain, head says England.

Its a tough one really. It depends how the game style pans out IMO.

England have struggled this tournament to breakdown teams that have focused on defence 1st and ensured that the gaps between the midfield and the forwards is closed down. We like to play players in that spot, whether thats Toone, James or when Hemp drops deep. When that space is closed down, it takes those more dynamic players out of the game. Both Haiti and Nigeria, who we struggled against both played this style.

When sides have been a bit more open as they wanted to attack, such as China, Colombia and Australia we have played better and generally scored much easier.

Spain will play an attacking gameplan but they will try and do what England do and try and dominate possession, whichever one manages to win that possession play will probably win. I think Spain have a good attack, they have very good players forward of centre and have some very good mids who get the ball moving for them, but their defence IMO is a bit suspect. Their left centre half especially IMO is a weak link, which Russo will try and take advantage of, she loves to float towards that left centre half and use her strength to roll off her onto throughballs.

Its going to be an enticing game, I reckon either team could win, obviously hoping that England do, and I'm hoping our stronger defence is what gets us there. I think thats a major strength of ours, we've only conceded 3 goals this tournament, a penalty to China, a wonder / freak goal to Colombia and that wonder strike from Kerr, so defensively we are setup well, its just whether we can obtain that space in between defence and midfield where our playmakers like to sit in.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Past your bedtime Abe. Why post such *smile* on such a positive and transformative occasion? You really are a miserable old *smile*
Ahhhh. There it is. Some people just enjoy spending their entire lives being anally retentive about everything. Ya need to loosen up n let all the *smile* out once in a while, you'll feel a whole lot better about everything once it's happened. Just make sure you've got plenty of bog roll handy before ya start.

• Haha
Hunt unlucky to concede that penalty. Looked completely accidental but it was there.

Arnold again gets a hand on it but the shot was too good.

Mathildas looking the better team, but 0-1down. We seem to be stuffing up the final pass in front of goal.

Hunt unlucky to concede that penalty. Looked completely accidental but it was there.

Arnold again gets a hand on it but the shot was too good.

Mathildas looking the better team, but 0-1down. We seem to be stuffing up the final pass in front of goal.
Not sure we are looking the better team

I have a tough time watching these games. So much acting and throwing hands in the air to the ref.
Don't watch a men's match then. This match has been pretty physical with he Swedes doing most of the dirty work.

Unlucky Tillies. Shame we didn't get it tonight but they walk tall knowing theres a good chance they've changed the average Aussies perception of soccer in this country.

Paris here we come.