2024 Richmond Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Richmond Coach

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Troy Chaplin should be interviewed
Not against that at all, great reputation at Punt rd for his footy nous and obviously has been part of great success at another basket case club when he arrived.

Not fussed at all who or what type of coach we go with , plenty of big hyped coaches have failed ( Carlton :ROFLMAO: ) and then there’s been Clarko type stories of success .

Definitely keen for a refresh

Reactions: 3 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
The new coach is going to have patience and be prepared and CAPABLE of rebuilding the list and team.
With draft picks a rarity for RFC, there is not going to be any quick fix to this situation.
Richmond's overall list has some glaring deficiencies and it's going to take some time to address and rectify these.
Get the right coach (for example, a McRae type) and get lucky with whatever selections Richmond has in the next couple of drafts and you never know, the Club might be able to turn its on-ground fortunes around in two to three years.

Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
If we go for an experienced coach I am absolutely in for Buckley.
If we go for a rookie coach I would be in for Chris Newman.

Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Macrae has to be the model. In a successful system and has coached his own side.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I hope Luke Hodge puts his hand up.

I would like to see the club focus on former players who have not coached at the top level.

Hodge is a hard man with a hugely successful career as a footballer and leader of footballers, who imo would come in with a great deal to offer, which makes him comparable to any of the current assistants. Knows the game that well.

Sorry that some don’t even want him to apply!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I would like to see the club focus on former players who have not coached at the top level.

Hodge is a hard man with a hugely successful career as a footballer and leader of footballers, who imo would come in with more to offer than
any of the current assistants. Knows the game that well.

Sorry that some don’t even want him to apply!
Taking on as senior coach a guy , no matter how good a player he was, who hasn’t coached at all is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 12 users

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
Buckley is the man. One kick away from a premiership with an average list. He just talks sense in the media and has had time to analyse the trends and learn from previous mistakes.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Buckley is the man. One kick away from a premiership with an average list. He just talks sense in the media and has had time to analyse the trends and learn from previous mistakes.
Unfinished business?

Last edited:

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
For me its Buckley.

Took Collingwood to a multiple finals appearances. The knock on him was he was too controlling. I would think a year away would have provided him great learnings.

• Wow

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Taking on as senior coach a guy , no matter how good a player he was, who hasn’t coached at all is a recipe for disaster.

He coached a little in Brisbane and hasn’t been out of the game since his retirement.

That experience, looking and evaluating different teams and different strategies, (as well as he has) suggests a very high footy i q. Have seen nothing to suggest he lacks leadership or management skills.
But I would expect the selection committee to look into these issues and can see that they might find flaws.

Not unusually the group of current assistant coaches don’t seem to offer up an outstanding coach, who is obviously next in line.

Can be sure that despite your conservative position, that if Hodge does put up his hand, he will be interviewed.
B Gale would certainly see to that.

• Dislike

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
the club will say they're after the best available but i wonder what type of coach they want

1. a long time but sucessful assistant (like hardwick was)
2. someone who has coached their own team (like mcrae)
3. recycled experienced senior coach