2024 Richmond Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Richmond Coach

yeahnomaybe

Tiger Cub
Oct 18, 2022
Unfortunately there is no real way to know how a first time coach will turn out. I was at a luncheon with one of th guys who was on the selection group of Brendon Bolton at Carlton. The praise he heaped on Bolton was almost sickening. The only thing he didn't say BB could do was cure cancer. I asked him a simple question based on a scenario of the Blues going on a losing streak with things generally going backwards and how long the club would stick fat. He genuinely never thought of that scenario, it was all blue sky with continual improvement leading to a tilt at a premiership. I saw him after Bolton got sacked and he said they completely misread his strengths and weaknesses and admitted he was a far better assistant.
Silvagni was the reason why Bolton was unsuccessful at Carlton

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
And yet last year we were the highest scoring team in the Comp. Something has gone terribly wrong in trying to balance up our offence and defence
Lynch out hasn't helped one bit along with Jr's form & injury.

Reactions: 1 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Not sure I would want an existing head coach or one that has been unable to cut it at another club so would prefer if we went for an up and coming coach to take us forward. There has to be one about with innovated ideas to make us great again. I would be prepared to take a couple of years of pain in the Dimma mould to get success again
Carr sounds like our man.

Reactions: 5 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Dimma was only a assistant for 4 years .
I just wonder how some of the player's would react to Grigg.
He wouldn't be my first preference,but certainly wouldn't be my last
I have no idea on Grigga's coaching crudentials.
If he gets the gig though, forget about AstonMartin leaving.
IIRC Asto is good mates with our Premiership Ruckman (still sounds funny!).
Although, could Grigga tell Dusty what to do in a Coach/Player scenario?

Big if, of course.

Also need to factor in the massive bill for fumigating Grigga as he would have to go through a DSP.

What is that? A De Salting Procedure!;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
A lot of clubs have moved to rolling contracts where you can be dismissed at any stage with three months notice and no pay out. No actual deal in terms of years, you are just employed until you aren't. Not sure if we have gone down this road but I'd be surprised if we haven't because even senior coaches are going that way.

You have to inform your assistants of what is happening with them a month out from the end of the season
Thanks for that info TBR (y)

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Not sure who would be best for 2024, but we need a really strong type wh is prepared to break a few habits and totally disregard the biggest of reputations among our playing group. The dynasty was great, but it is also nearly three seasons gone.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Both Collingwood and Port are using the central corridor and achieving great results.
Don’t have to be young and inexperienced as both Fly and Hinkley have been around for years. Have to be innovative and have the cattle to execute that style you want to play.
Agree we’ve been stuck with an outdated game plan. But it suits our list until a major overhaul is done at years end.

Big differences in the way they are setting up defensively and how they defend when they have the ball.

When I say a young coach I don't mean in age, I mean in experience. Someone like Hinkley, Hardwick, McRae etc were when they started.

Our ideal candidate should be someone who has been an assistant coach and has coached their own second tier team and been successful. That's going to give you a 40 something year old who is ready to go.

So we just lost by 10 points to one of the premiership favourites who are playing full of confidence, whilst ours is shattered, cos we were out coached but we need to gut our list and start again?

You have to look at the list profile.

Port had 12 guys 24 or under on Sunday, including Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis. That's a premiership midfield core. They had 2 guys over 30.

We had 9 24 or under Bolton and Balta but no quality pure midfielders of note. We had 7 guys over 30.

Those lists are going in opposite directions.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
You have to look at the list profile.

Port had 12 guys 24 or under on Sunday, including Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis. That's a premiership midfield core. They had 2 guys over 30.

We had 9 24 or under Bolton and Balta but no quality pure midfielders of note. We had 7 guys over 30.

Those lists are going in opposite directions.
Port have done well to get a few really talented young players, undoubtedly.

if you go to 25yo- guys who should still be at their peak for at least the next 5 year- it changes to 13 for them, 12 for us, and suddenly adds to our list the best midfielder on the park on Sunday.

also, of our 7 over 30, i reckon we could easily replace Riewoldt and Cotch, with say Cumberland (or Gibcus) and Sonsie, and not really lose a lot- especially on Sunday's performance. Pickett likewise.
Our oldies (except for Broad) (and Dusty at times) arent really giving us a heap, but they are inflating our experience stats.
(be interesting to see those averages with Gibcus and Sonsie in for Jack and Cotch, and for them Boak and Dixon in for say Lord and Evans. I doubt the results change much but suddenly we look a lot younger, and vice versa.)

But that isnt to take anything away from Port- if can get Hardwick on board in 2024, and retire Dixon, they should probably be raging flag favourites.

and for us, our list undoubtedly needs some changes, but they are going to be forced upon us, starting with 2 of the greatest retiring, but i dont reckon we need to
BURN IT DOWN

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Port have done well to get a few really talented young players, undoubtedly.

if you go to 25yo- guys who should still be at their peak for at least the next 5 year- it changes to 13 for them, 12 for us, and suddenly adds to our list the best midfielder on the park on Sunday.

also, of our 7 over 30, i reckon we could easily replace Riewoldt and Cotch, with say Cumberland (or Gibcus) and Sonsie, and not really lose a lot- especially on Sunday's performance. Pickett likewise.
Our oldies (except for Broad) (and Dusty at times) arent really giving us a heap, but they are inflating our experience stats.
(be interesting to see those averages with Gibcus and Sonsie in for Jack and Cotch, and for them Boak and Dixon in for say Lord and Evans. I doubt the results change much but suddenly we look a lot younger, and vice versa.)

But that isnt to take anything away from Port- if can get Hardwick on board in 2024, and retire Dixon, they should probably be raging flag favourites.

and for us, our list undoubtedly needs some changes, but they are going to be forced upon us, starting with 2 of the greatest retiring, but i dont reckon we need to
BURN IT DOWN

25 year olds having 5 years of peak is a stretch, the average age of a premiership player is 27. We had 4 30 year olds in 2020, 3 in 2019 and 0 in 2017.

I think you are looking at a game result rather than a premiership list there. Yes you could replace an ageing Riewoldt and Cotchin with Cumberland and Sonsie but are Cumberland and Sonsie capable of being 300 game pillars of multiple premierships? Highly unlikely I'd say.

To be a premiership team we need a blue chip midfield and at least one elite quality forward and two elite quality defenders as an absolute minimum.

So where are we at with that? Ryan maybe, Gibcus probably, Balta who knows? I can't see any semblance of a blue chip midfield on our list right now, so we either have the young talent on our list that is going to come through or we have a lot of work to do.

Don't count Taranto and Hopper, by the time we have the likes of Gibcus and Ryan and whoever else is going to form a premiership team getting to the 100 plus game window that premiership teams need (average 127 games), then they are going to be late 20s. If they are playing in our next flag it will be as flankers and part time midfielders, they won't be the core. The time for them to do that is now.

As for burning it down it all comes back to where we think we are at. If we think we have the list to contend again now and this season was an aberration caused by injury etc, then we tweak it, top up, bring in a free agent and try to challenge again.

If we accept this run is over and our next tilt is going to take 3 or 4 years to build for then we need to look at our list and assess where it is at in terms of players who will enter that 25-27 year old peak in that time frame.

If it is the latter option (which I believe) then we are in poor shape and need to cut and draft heavily for the next few seasons, if it is the former then we are trying to emulate something only one club has ever achieved while a whole heap have failed. As Sir Humphrey Appleby would say, a very courageous decision indeed.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Our ideal candidate should be someone who has been an assistant coach and has coached their own second tier team and been successful. That's going to give you a 40 something year old who is ready to go.
Do you have anyone in mind?

For me Newman fits that criteria.

Reactions: 4 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
How many prospective coaches would be on the initial list, 10, 12, 15 maybe.

Leppa
Yze
Carr
Newman
Grigg
McQualter
Graham
Giansiracusa
Burns
Hansen
Knights
Cox