500K extra for that hack? / Ben Holland sues Richmond [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

500K extra for that hack? / Ben Holland sues Richmond [Merged]

itsintheblood

Tiger Superstar
Dec 16, 2004
Melbourne
Re: 500K extra for that hack?

IanG said:
Yet according to the barrister on KB's show, Paul Ehrlich, the fact that he wasn't paid may mean it can't be caught under the cap.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to interpretation according to the rules of the AFL. What a barrister says may not be what the AFL rules were meant to mean.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Heh heh heh........we tried to cheat the salary cap and haven't been able to make the top 8 since.

hellenictiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Melbourne

IanG said:
Yet according to the barrister on KB's show, Paul Ehrlich, the fact that he wasn't paid may mean it can't be caught under the cap.

We may not have breached the cap but, at the end of the day, if the court finds Clinton Casey owes Ben Holland x amount because of an agreement they had, then that is added on our salary cap for that year.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

IanG said:

But what happens if the court orders the club to pay out? Is this included in the cap? If so, is it deemed to be included back when the liability arose or now? Plenty of technicalities to work through before we rely on that argument I would think.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

I would think it would be included in the cap for the year it was paid.

Zoso

Tiger Superstar
Mar 3, 2004

This scrub should be paying us back the money we paid him for the *smile* he served up.

Uncordinated asshat.

Gordietiger

The Rolls Royce!
Apr 14, 2004

The question that has to be is asked and no answer forthcoming as yet is " Why was Demetriou involved with dealings between the club and player and what did he know about any undisclosed arrangements if they did in fact exist? He seems very reluctant to say anything at this stage-almost like he is wishing it would go away....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

stripes17

Tiger Superstar
Mar 9, 2004
Victoria

BrisTiger24 said:
Apparently we are counter-suing for breach of contract. Our argument is that Holland had a contractual obligation to perform as a professional footballer during the 3 year term. We have strong evidence to demonstrate that what he served up for the three years was not what would be expected of a professional footballer but more what would be expected of a slow, over-sized float at mardi gras.

:rofl :rofl :rofl Love it!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Way to many half statements and guesstimations going on at the moment.
Ben gets offered the chance to ply his trade as a podiatrist at Casey's old folks farms.
What did Ben expect a quick fortnightly visit to prune the toenails of sixty or seventy pensioners at fifty bucks a pop?
Ben was invited to invest in property developments or share packages at groundfloor entry prices so he could sell a few years later in boom times and reap the profit. Doesn't everyone wish they could get in on the groundfloor and make a killing? As long as the initial purchase is done at market price there's nothing wrong with copping a bit of inside advice.
Did Ben actually bother to purchase one of these packages that were alluded to or is he still waiting for Uncle Clinton to give him a couple for free?

Ben would have signed stat dec's regarding all the payments due to him from RFC. Did he knowingly perjure himself in signing these legal documents?
Strange how this rears it's ugly head when Bens career is dragging to a close and the AFL virtually has no hold over his future career.
His manager who is now conducting his legal actions would have been a party to the alleged out of cap payments and false statements on legal documents. Hope he's no longer licenced to manage AFL players.

We won last years spoon and got back doored by Cartoon over first pick in the draft and now it looks like we may get back doored by a former player and former El Presidente for life.
Looks like there is going to be some interesting reading and discussions going on over the next few months.
Wonder if Dimi and the boys will drag out the sledgehammer on rumour and innuendo or wait for a year or two till the legal stoush is sorted.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

TigerMasochist said:
Way to many half statements and guesstimations going on at the moment.

But you still added to them. :hihi

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Re: Ben Holland sues Richmond for over $500k.

Where does this put Miller. He aligned himself heavily with Casey. Could be interesting to see if he is named in all this and if so does that put his role at the club in jeopardy

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Shows how worthless players are nowadays hey. Let's play for the money not the club. ::)

Where's the contract Cement Legs?

mopsy fraser

EAT 'EM ALIVE!
May 10, 2006
geelong

hellenictiger said:
They got it wrong on SEN. Demetriou is implying that he knew of the deal only when Richmond asked for assistance, he didnt mean he knew that we gave under the table offerings to Holland.

The story seems to be, Adelaide gave a big offer.
We couldnt match it.
We went to the AFL (Demetriou) and asked for help. They cant give any.
For unknown reasons Holland signs with us (because he was promised under the table offers).
Holland wasnt paid for these.
He takes action.
The AFL (Demetriou) ask for a please explain, as far as they knew the problem was resolved a long time ago.
I do think we have alot to worry about, thats why we have a legal team on the job. Casey was the Richmond president and Ben Holland was a Richmond player when this happened. According to Holland there where other Richmond people present in the dealings. The club will be punished because this is a breach of the cap...if true
it isn`t a breach of the cap because he didn`t get paid.

i don`t think he has a leg to stand on to be honest.

and this won`t affect the players at all.

zips

The NEW Tigers of SAME OLD, SAME OLD!
Apr 19, 2004

gustiger12 said:
Where does this put Miller. He aligned himself heavily with Casey. Could be interesting to see if he is named in all this and if so does that put his role at the club in jeopardy
When did Miller actually start with us? Was he even there at the end of 2001? :don't know

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

If this was a verbal agreement between Casey and Cement Legs, it shows how stupid he is to accept that as a guarantee.

Shows our pathetic drafting again..................yeah let's pick him because his brother's good at Hawthorn.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003

1.33m for 3 years in 2001 numbers.I thought Adelaide were smarter than that.

Lol at Nutcasey and his under-the-table stuff.

TIGEREXTRA

Tiger Legend
Jun 20, 2004
Melbourne

mopsy fraser said:
it isn`t a breach of the cap because he didn`t get paid.

i don`t think he has a leg to stand on to be honest.

and this won`t affect the players at all.

According to Eddie on SEN, it does not paid if he was paid or not.

We better hope that they havent stuffed up here, because I dont want this club branded a cheat and be banned from any drafts!!

Skills

Tiger Champion
Apr 19, 2004
Inner City

Make no mistake; This issue will have a huge bearing on the future of the Richmond FC; Short term, if the club is found to be in breach of the salary cap, our coach will be the first to realise his objectives to rebuild the team will be serioulsy hampered. Our efforts in the last 5 years to re structure the list and build for the future will be put on hold - Infact, I see most of these efforts as a waste of time;
Look at Carlton in 2002; Bottom of the ladder, very little leadership or genuine talent on their list; 5-6 years on and they are still struggling! Carlton's integrity and brand was severely tarnished during this period; The recovery process has been slow and marred by solid years of poor results;

But, focussing back on the Tigers, it makes you wonder just how bad things were being managed under the Casey regime. I'd be very keen to here Phantom's take on the Holland issue which has surfaced. In July 2004, perhaps I should have stopped to sign his petition. It was a cold & wet Saturday night outside Telstra Dome; I should have taken the time to support any challenge against CC; Greg Miller called each one of the names collected in that petition in the weeks that followed - They all should have hang up the phone;

Last week, our Captain took it upon himself to complete his relieving duties outside a Police complex; That was embarrasing; We were told, the matter was handled well. We lost last week and we all moved on from Kane's one week suspension.

Last night, the biggest football story was the allegations made by Holland and his intent to sue the Richmond FC. On the eve of a match against the Pies - a clash rarely missed by myself - I was horrified; The parrallels drawn of Carlton's Elliot & Richmond's Casey - in a similar period of the game - simply illustrate the demise of two Victorian Football clubs;

For the first time in almost 28 years, I'll be staying home this weekend and not watching Richmond vs Collingwood. If Richmond are penalised, we will find it impossible to move on without draft picks, a tarnished brand and footballers who aren't being payed correctly.