500K extra for that hack? / Ben Holland sues Richmond [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

500K extra for that hack? / Ben Holland sues Richmond [Merged]

mopsy fraser

EAT 'EM ALIVE!
May 10, 2006
geelong
Re: 500K extra for that hack?

TIGEREXTRA said:
According to Eddie on SEN, it does not paid if he was paid or not.

We better hope that they havent stuffed up here, because I dont want this club branded a cheat and be banned from any drafts!!
fair enough,but demetriou gave us the all clear in 2003 so i don`t think the afl will weigh back into it.

and i remember gaspar was offered business mentoring from casey to stay with us when freo offered him a better deal than we did.
and what about pratt offering judd incentives to sign,he promised him opportunities for after his career finished also.

so it must be ok because no-one tries to be quiet about it.
i remember both gaspar and pratt talking about it openly to the media.

and that`s all holland was offered,opportunities to invest in property deals and stuff,not actual money.
all clubs do this sort of thing anyway,it`s just another perk for footy players being involved in this industry.
they are surrounded by successful businessmen so it`s only natural they would be given help with business opportunities.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

mopsy fraser said:
fair enough,but demetriou gave us the all clear in 2003 so i don`t think the afl will weigh back into it.

and i remember gaspar was offered business mentoring from casey to stay with us when freo offered him a better deal than we did.
and what about pratt offering judd incentives to sign,he promised him opportunities for after his career finished also.

i remember both gaspar and pratt talking about it to openly to the media.

and that`s all holland was offered,opportunities to invest in property deals and stuff,not actual money.
all clubs do this sort of thing anyway,it`s just another perk for footy players being involved in this industry.
they are surrounded by successful businessmen so it`s only natural they would be given help with business opportunities.

If there's no signed contract then it's all over for Cement Legs.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

Skills said:
I should have taken the time to support any challenge against CC;

Most here would know my opinion about CC. I'm glad I didn't vote for him and I wonder how those who were so personal about that fact at the time will feel if our club is dragged through the mire.

I'm confident in my own mind, no matter what the legal eagles conjure up, that Dutchy wouldn't make these claims if there wasn't some substance to them.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007

This case is going to be heard in the Supreme Court. An outcome could take two years, easily. Would the AFL act sooner and investigate it? And if so could we be punished, if indeed there's substance to it, sooner rather than later? Or will the stench of this thing hang around for as long as it takes in court?

mopsy fraser

EAT 'EM ALIVE!
May 10, 2006
geelong

Six Pack said:
This case is going to be heard in the Supreme Court. An outcome could take two years, easily. Would the AFL act sooner and investigate it? And if so could we be punished, if indeed there's substance to it, sooner rather than later? Or will the stench of this thing hang around for as long as it takes in court?
according to demetriou it was already dealt with in 2003.
so the afl were fine with it back then.

mopsy fraser

EAT 'EM ALIVE!
May 10, 2006
geelong

mopsy fraser said:

i remember both gaspar and pratt talking about it openly to the media.

this is a quote from pratt when they were trying to woo chris judd....

"We have a lot to offer, the least of which is money," Pratt said.
"He has got to look at beyond his football career because that only lasts 10 years, the rest of his life goes for a long time.
"But we can offer him a job and he can become anything"

the afl didn`t say boo about this so i can`t see how we could be in strife for something the afl regarded as resolved in 2003.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007

But the case will hang around cos the Supreme Court can take years to deal with stuff.

mopsy fraser

EAT 'EM ALIVE!
May 10, 2006
geelong

Six Pack said:
But the case will hang around cos the Supreme Court can take years to deal with stuff.
yeah but i mean in relation to possible penalties from the afl.

i think a few hundred thousand dollar payout from a court case is the least of our worries.

losing draft picks is our main concern,but i think we are sweet.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Six Pack said:

Waiting for us to win a flag and then take it away from us ;D

PhilMaylinsLover

Tiger Cub
Aug 21, 2004

In the case of being found guilty, I can't see the club losing draft picks.

Why?

Carlton were found to have systematically rorted the cap from 1994 to 2001 and were in fact penalised THREE times in that period. (Richmond have never been in breach even when teams came clean in the mid 90's and fessed up without fear of punishment)

What really irked the AFL was that the Blues cheated the cap WHILE under a suspended sentence for previous breaches while also refusing to co-operate with the investigations team.

Don't think the RFC will cop anywhere near the punishment that the Underbelly boys did.. Maybe a huge fine and the loss of a pre-season pick, IMHO

mopsy fraser

EAT 'EM ALIVE!
May 10, 2006
geelong

PhilMaylinsLover said:
In the case of being found guilty, I can't see the club losing draft picks.

Why?

Carlton were found to have systematically rorted the cap from 1994 to 2001 and were in fact penalised THREE times in that period. (Richmond have never been in breach even when teams came clean in the mid 90's and fessed up without fear of punishment)
What really irked the AFL was that the Blues cheated the cap WHILE under a suspended sentence for previous breaches while also refusing to co-operate with the investigations team.

Don't think the RFC will cop anywhere near the punishment that the Underbelly boys did.. Maybe a huge fine and the loss of a pre-season pick, IMHO
i think you will find that we were way over the cap in the 90`s and did fess up when that moratorium was on.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Re: Ben Holland sues Richmond for over $500k.

Can't the club sue Holland for falsely impersonating a footballer :police:

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Mopsy I think you might have misunderstood Demetriou giving us the all clear in 2003. We approached him based on being able to do something to match Adeliade's offer but Demetriou advised there was nothing he could do to help - that is his version of the matter being not finalised. Not that he OK'd the deal.

The Pratt comment you highlighted however is very interesting and surely could be used evidence or to assist a Tiger defence.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Frawley on Foxtel was quite interesting.

Frawley admitted that he had accquired a couple of properties down at Sandhurst through Clinton but was quick to add that he had also lost some money on Casey investments and called it "buyer beware". Said that if Richmond were guilty then every club in the AFL would have misdemeanors.

Getting bucketed by Benny Holland topped off Spud Regals week. He come off his push bike this week grazed half his body then got home and found that both he and his wife's cars had been broken into.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

My take on this (and correct me if I am wrong with the timelines)

2001 - RFC offer Holland 800k over 3 years and AFC offer him $1.25m and for some reason Holland stays at RFC
2002 - RFC met with Fonz explain how we kept Holland and what we proposed to give him. Fonz says sorry cannot do that and RFC don't.
2003 - RFC trade Holland to MFC
2004 - Holland approaches RFC and says hey how about what you own me. RFC say bad luck.
2007/2008 - Holland takes high court action

Is this correct?

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

SCOOP said:
Frawley on Foxtel was quite interesting.

Frawley admitted that he had accquired a couple of properties down at Sandhurst through Clinton but was quick to add that he had also lost some money on Casey investments and called it "buyer beware". Said that if Richmond were guilty then every club in the AFL would have misdemeanors.

Getting bucketed by Benny Holland topped off Spud Regals week. He come off his push bike this week grazed half his body then got home and found that both he and his wife's cars had been broken into.

I remember Browny being flown around in a helicopter with Clinton looking at property when he first came to RFC. It was reported in the media a number of times that Clinton had offered players advice etc on property investments.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne

Mr Pumblechook said:
Why did Holland wait 7 years, until now, to do anything about it?

Regardless, Frawley's evidence could be key here, especially if he agrees with Holland.
Holland probably wanted to wait until his afl career is nearly over.Agree Frawley's evidence will be critical.