AFL360 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL360

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I don't watch this garbage because I don't have Foxtel but Ive read here something that peaks my interest and its the very same words that pricked my ears countless times over the weekend.

And that was numerous commentators including very recently retired players all lamenting the game is too long and the players are too tired with less rotations.

My advice is get used to hearing it and pay attention it will be on the agenda and be a talking point ongoing.

The AFL are shifty AF, and I bet London to a brick that this is an under the table AFL directive, they wont ever say it but they need the media lapdogs to throw the narrative out and push it and run with it to convince the masses of fans that it is after it was fine before Covid allowed them to Beta Test ideas for the future they cant wait to implement.

I said it last year and I'll stick by it, the AFL again will push for shorter games and they are going to use the media to do their bidding and brain washing as usual to convince the fans its what they want or is what is "best for the players"!!

That will allow for more games every week ( as Beta tested last season) thus, more ads and more revenue for the corporates and the AFL.

Then old mate Dangerflog will be rolled out with his script to say the games are too long.

Mince Whateley (luv it Redmond) and Russell are 2 of the biggest barrow pushers for the AFL along with Gils brother obviously.

I'm tipping its going to be the concern du'jour for the season on the merry go round "The game is too long"!!!

Watch how chicanery and psychology is utilised to implement unpopular changes against the popular will.

The more this is brought up in the AFL media the more certain I will be that this is the agenda.

I'm sure many will disagree and thats fine but thats how I'm seeing it unfold between the lines and just my two cents on it.

Reactions: 5 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Is this thread hidden?
I see when new posts show up in the “new posts” box, but when I go into DyerTribe there is no thread. I can only get into this thread by clicking on my alerts if someone quotes or likes a post
is anyone else having the same issue?

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Gotta say, the games have almost resemble an NFL game that goes on forever. I hate qtrs that go over 30mins and it’s seems most in this preseason are going over 32-33 mins. Far too long and utterly boring.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
His comments around the Williams suspension were bizarre. His 1st position was because Webster didn't want to deck him meant that he shouldn't be suspended.
Just on the Williams suspension, the manner of decision making around whether a hit is of low, medium or high impact seems to really miss the point about concussion injuries.
The present mode of classifying relies on whether the victim is knocked unconscious or whether instead he is able to get up and play on.
A concussion injury which is sustained as a result of a knock to the head is likely to be cumulative and so whether a player is able to get up and play on is more likely to be a reflection of his past history of concussions than anything else.
This particular bump was delivered directly to the head by Williams after running at speed for 5-10 meters and finally taking to the air immediately before impact.
To describe it as of medium rather than high impact is misguided and helps perpetuate the ongoing risk of post retirement tragedies like Shane Tuck.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Is this thread hidden?
I see when new posts show up in the “new posts” box, but when I go into DyerTribe there is no thread. I can only get into this thread by clicking on my alerts if someone quotes or likes a post
is anyone else having the same issue?
Do you have the thread starter on ignore?

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Just on the Williams suspension, the manner of decision making around whether a hit is of low, medium or high impact seems to really miss the point about concussion injuries.
The present mode of classifying relies on whether the victim is knocked unconscious or whether instead he is able to get up and play on.
A concussion injury which is sustained as a result of a knock to the head is likely to be cumulative and so whether a player is able to get up and play on is more likely to be a reflection of his past history of concussions than anything else.
This particular bump was delivered directly to the head by Williams after running at speed for 5-10 meters and finally taking to the air immediately before impact.
To describe it as of medium rather than high impact is misguided and helps perpetuate the ongoing risk of post retirement tragedies like Shane Tuck.
Specially with the footage of the player stumbling after 10 seconds of the hit.

Williams is extremely lucky its just 1 week and could easily have been 3

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Look forward to you bringing up the old Brereton quotes thread as the season goes on

Well, I'll give you an entree from last night as he was calling the GC v Blandbane game.

"You have to go to the well many times in order to get a good drink."

What ? Like you can't just have a good guzzle once ? What is he talking about ?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Totally agree and this is the biggest inconsistency with the AFL. It was also about the only thing I agreed with Robbo on, if you can avoid contact with the head and you choose not to, then there should be a minimum number of games, 1 is too little a penalty for something that they are apparently so hard on. I mean how many times do we have to hear that the head is sacrosanct but when actions don't follow, they just sound like hollow words. Williams could have easily bumped the shoulder, or not even engaged in contact (there really was no need), these are the ones they should be coming down hard on, rather than scream and yell about those like Cotchs in the prelim against GWS in 2017 which was a clear football act, the Williams hit was nothing to do with footy and more about imposing yourself and seeming "hard" in the early parts of the game.

Reactions: 1 user

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I dunno Craig, I'm not an AFL plant (assuming they haven't microchipped me without my knowledge of course), but I did share the feeling that the games seemed very long this week.

Will be interesting to see if that feeling remains after a few more games to get used to things being normal again.

Personally, with all the mechanisms we have now to stop time wasting I'd be open to considering set time quarters, maybe 30 minutes without any time on unless the game stops for a serious injury.
It did seem a little long but I think we'll all adapt back to "normal" length pretty quickly, TBR.

When we started playing 16 minute quarters it felt like it was over so quickly. I initially felt cheated out of game time but got used to it over a few weeks.

I think what some of us are feeling is the change back to 20 mins, coupled with the generally average quality of preseason games.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The show is rubbish.
Very hard to watch.
I went through the show in 10 minutes last night.
Im not interested what Petrecca has to say.. fast forward
Can't stand the old codger... fast forward
And Pinnocho's constant commentary on rules of the game, has done my head in.
He reckons the game is too long. If it's too long switch it off.
Robinson spent 10 minutes going on about the Williams bump.
Get over it....
The only reason i keep foxtel is that i can tape every game and i can rewind and fast forward during the game.
I can't remember the last commercial ive seen watching us play.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
The only reason i keep foxtel is that i can tape every game and i can rewind and fast forward during the game.
Kayo is heaps cheaper, similar features not all the same but pretty good coverage.

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
I dunno Craig, I'm not an AFL plant (assuming they haven't microchipped me without my knowledge of course), but I did share the feeling that the games seemed very long this week.

Will be interesting to see if that feeling remains after a few more games to get used to things being normal again.

Personally, with all the mechanisms we have now to stop time wasting I'd be open to considering set time quarters, maybe 30 minutes without any time on unless the game stops for a serious injury.

Nearly double the wait before restarting after each goal certainly contributes to that impression.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
That would be the 2020 Grand Final and it ruined the whole experience. If you're not watching games via Foxtel you are getting a second rate service.
No i fast forward
I pause the set shots and after the goals i rewind them to see how we set them up.
During a qtr doing that cuts out qtr time and 3 qtr time.
Foxtel only go to commercials on the breaks

Last edited: