AFL360 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL360

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I think that's just something we have to learn to live with, we can't expect the TV broadcasters to tip in a hundred and fifty million bucks a season and not have the chance to play ads when people are actually stuck watching them.

The only alternatives are for all TV coverage to go to subscription based or take less in media rights and everyone pays $120 to sit in the outer.
Back in '95, the big wigs from Foxtel visited my ad agency to spruik the new service.

While there was lots of hubris surrounding its launch, Australians at the time were really sceptical about paying for content that was previously free. From the pollies (anti-siphoning legislation) to the advertising industry (will the audience be there and what will be its quality?) to the ordinary punter (it costs how much?), Foxtel was starting from a long way back.

It was really only when Galaxy fell over a few years later that Foxtel found its feet but it's never been an easy road for subscription TV in this country.

Anyway, I asked just one question at the presentation back in '95: after the two year moratorium on advertising had passed, would Foxtel begin showing ads?

No, came the reply. If we did that, we'd lose our competitive advantage. Hmm ...

In Australia, we're not accustomed to paying for broadcast content if we have to watch ads, too. It's a kind of double-dipping and the audience here doesn't like it.

Aussies have embraced catch-up TV, in part, because they can skip through the ads. Catch-up perfectly meets the needs of most Australians. If there is one thing we don't like, it's being pissed on and told it's raining.

As an adman, I can tell you it's getting harder and harder to reach our audiences. As a punter, I love being able to sidestep the ads!

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It's quite impressive that a cartoon character has made it all the way onto real-life television as a co-host.

1615256237940.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Just watched Dermott's take on the Williams bump. I reckon if someone pulled an axe out of their sock and planted it in an opponent's back, Derm would argue he should be let off cause he didn't use a gun.
I reckon Dermie should donate his brain to the sports brain bank, he gives every indication that he's been hit in the head too many times. Either that or it's the Irish coming out in him.............aplogies to our Irish brothers and sisters.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think that's just something we have to learn to live with, we can't expect the TV broadcasters to tip in a hundred and fifty million bucks a season and not have the chance to play ads when people are actually stuck watching them.

I agree, but then, when you are the TV station asking for more ad time between goals, it is then more than a bit rich to complain about the length of the game.

If we have to live with the extra time between goals, then they have to live with the longer total length of the game.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry, Murdoch is getting precisely none of my money thanks.

DS
The problem is that if you can't get to our games and they are not on free to air TV then the only way you can watch live is via a Murdoch product. Or does the AFL have a live stream product available in Australia?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I agree, but then, when you are the TV station asking for more ad time between goals, it is then more than a bit rich to complain about the length of the game.

If we have to live with the extra time between goals, then they have to live with the longer total length of the game.

DS
It's not the TV stations that are complaining about the length of the game is it? I thought it was just media plonkers like Whateley and Robbo that were whining (and doing Gil and SHocking's bidding).

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The problem is that if you can't get to our games and they are not on free to air TV then the only way you can watch live is via a Murdoch product. Or does the AFL have a live stream product available in Australia?

The only choice I have is to go to a pub, which indirectly gives funds to Murdoch but I suppose the oligopoly which is the media means one mob will have exclusive rights.

I thought it was numpties on TV shows mentioned above who were complaining? I don't watch any of the AFL shows, just the actual footy.

DS

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The only choice I have is to go to a pub, which indirectly gives funds to Murdoch but I suppose the oligopoly which is the media means one mob will have exclusive rights.

I thought it was numpties on TV shows mentioned above who were complaining? I don't watch any of the AFL shows, just the actual footy.

DS
Yes you're right it is some of the media hacks including those who work for TV stations complaining about the length of the game. I was more referring to the those that run/own the TV stations; I reckon the longer a game goes the more chance they get for advertising so not sure it would bother them.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure your theory about the AFL pushing it holds water though. If they were to cut the game time you would assume the media rights would also reduce, so they would be doing themselves out of money. The only way it would make sense from an AFL viewpoint was to go to 16 minute quarters and play a full home and away 34 round season.
Yeah you could be right about that. There is a perception that the AFL wants to shorten the quarters and many were surprised that they went back to 20 minute quarters this season.

Maybe the perception comes from the shorter quarters allowing them to cram more games into the "Festivals of Football" that they had last year. You'd think the AFL would love to have footy on every day/night of the week and the only way they could do that is via shorter quarters.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I reckon Dermie should donate his brain to the sports brain bank, he gives every indication that he's been hit in the head too many times. Either that or it's the Irish coming out in him.............aplogies to our Irish brothers and sisters.
Tigerman, damn you!

You've just insulted the Irish folk with just over a week before St Patrick's Day.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Tigerman, damn you!

You've just insulted the Irish folk with just over a week before St Patrick's Day.
Bernie, I'll buy them all a Guinness at the races tomorrow week. And I'll shout the bar if Shout The Bar wins the All Star Mile on Saturday.
Now being serious, Arcadia Queen will bolt in if the track is ok, 10 to 15 mm of rain is forecast most likely in the afternoon and evening.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Bernie, I'll buy them all a Guinness at the races tomorrow week. And I'll shout the bar if Shout The Bar wins the All Star Mile on Saturday.
Now being serious, Arcadia Queen will bolt in if the track is ok, 10 to 15 mm of rain is forecast most likely in the afternoon and evening.

You might be the Prime Candidate ahead of the 17th!

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Jack on tonight and handled the obligatory Dimma's private life questions as the media professional he's become!

Also showed a promo of 'One Night in Brisbane' which airs at 7.30 this Thursday featuring Jack and Dimma looking back and looking forward.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Jack on tonight and handled the obligatory Dimma's private life questions as the media professional he's become!

Also showed a promo of 'One Night in Brisbane' which airs at 7.30 this Thursday featuring Jack and Dimma looking back and looking forward.
Agree. Does Daddy Long Legs or any Racistwood fan realise that 2018 PF loss turned out to be a blessing in disguise as Jack said.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Heh heh heh... that stupid drunk made the statement that we’d had a controversy free off season without much attention.

Hah hah hah ... must have written that article the other day, made other commentary etc about Dimma in his drunken sleep then.

Geezuz he’s a moron.

Reactions: 4 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Heh heh heh... that stupid drunk made the statement that we’d had a controversy free off season without much attention.

Hah hah hah ... must have written that article the other day, made other commentary etc about Dimma in his drunken sleep then.

Geezuz he’s a moron.
Yeah that was just a truly bizarre statement. You need to keep your eye on Big Nose when Robbo is ranting. He usually looks like a passenger on a plane with one engine on fire.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users