AFLW 2021 Game day thread Tigers games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW 2021 Game day thread Tigers games

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Went to the game.

Simple really: beaten by a better team, but a bit more analysis is justified.

Our marking has got better and we were better at handling the ball, but Brisbane were of a different class. They were simply far more skilful when the ball hit the ground.

When a Richmond player had possession they seemed to have few, if any, options to move the ball forward. Brisbane players presented and were far better at owning territory, so many of our kicks out of defence went directly to Brisbane players as they were in the right place on the ground and we weren't.

The Richmond players were consistently out-run by faster Brisbane players. We are not a quick side.

The defence held up quite well for a lot of the game and this is something they are going to have to do week after week.

When you look at the likes of North Melbourne you can see the better sides have improved a lot, we are running to stand still at the moment.

Having the disrupted pre-season and no VFLW games last year I think is quite a disadvantage for a team trying to make up ground on the better teams. I just hope that now that training is back to normal and they are playing games there will be big improvements.

Don't hold out a lot of hope against Melbourne next week but we really really need to get a win this year.

Any idea of the fixture, on the Footy Live app it claims we play Melbourne twice, but on the AFLW web site they only have 2 rounds showing and the club website has 3 rounds with StKilda in 2 weeks time.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Ella has genuine footy skills. Cordner was great but as for the rest...Katie Brennan is almost as overrated as Mona Hope. Gun at lower levels, does zero at AFLW level. Sabrina F is a relic from suburban woman’s footy where big slow girls could dominate on size alone. But like Men’s footy you have to be athletic these days and the Lions have that in spades.
so for all the recruits we bought in we are still hopeless.
Sabrina F
1612132477022.png

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
We're are only missing pace fitness and class. She'll be right.

as in, we have slow, unfit, crude outfit?

only saw the highlights, which didnt soar very high.

the match report I read suggested the women are attempting the mens brand, but lack the skill and pace to execute?

I agree with Ghost29, what ive seen of Brennan suggests she has the same PR people as Mo Hope.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
as in, we have slow, unfit, crude outfit?

only saw the highlights, which didnt soar very high.

the match report I read suggested the women are attempting the mens brand, but lack the skill and pace to execute?

I agree with Ghost29, what ive seen of Brennan suggests she has the same PR people as Mo Hope.
Further to Brennan, I think she needs to move behind the ball. CHB then play a kick behind the play wherever the play is...you can get away with that loose structure in girls footy. She will get heaps of the ball and probably dominate. Key forward is not and never will be her bag.

Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Further again on Sabrina, I would play her as “bear in the square”. Too slow for the ruck but as a one out key forward she may do alright. But then need some fast small forwards to get the crumb.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Absolutely astounded that they are persisting with Brennan as a forward.

Disappointed.

The think tank down there isn't on the right track game plan wise and recruiting wise.

I missed the game as I was working and I'm not looking forward to watching the replay tonight.

I will though, because that's what supporters do.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Further again on Sabrina, I would play her as “bear in the square”. Too slow for the ruck but as a one out key forward she may do alright. But then need some fast small forwards to get the crumb.

Yeah it was very evident that when Frederick and Brennan didn't take the mark (they competed though and stopped the Brisbane defenders taking intercept marks) but when the ball hit the ground, we were nowhere. Thats one of the reasons why I'd have thrown Conti forward. The girl that was tagging her was probably best on ground and was having an impact forward of centre, so they either drag her back into the defensive half or you leave Conti to go to someone else. She's good with ball on the ground and a very smart player and we were missing that when the ball came to ground from the marking contest. We really struggled to lock the ball inside our F50 so we could get repeat looks at the goals.

They'd do well to watch what the mens team did in 2017.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah it was very evident that when Frederick and Brennan didn't take the mark (they competed though and stopped the Brisbane defenders taking intercept marks) but when the ball hit the ground, we were nowhere. Thats one of the reasons why I'd have thrown Conti forward. The girl that was tagging her was probably best on ground and was having an impact forward of centre, so they either drag her back into the defensive half or you leave Conti to go to someone else. She's good with ball on the ground and a very smart player and we were missing that when the ball came to ground from the marking contest. We really struggled to lock the ball inside our F50 so we could get repeat looks at the goals.

They'd do well to watch what the mens team did in 2017.
If Conti was up forward we wouldn't have got the ball down there at all.

It is so frustrating and disappointing - Brennan has always been over rated and Frederick was finished when she was still at Brisbane.

Disappointed.

The think tank down there isn't on the right track game plan wise and recruiting wise.

I missed the game as I was working and I'm not looking forward to watching the replay tonight.

Lots of "tried hard", "it will click soon", "plenty of positives" and other platitudes. Like watching the men in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I will be surprised if we win a game. The AFLW is the inverse of the AFLM.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I didn't see the game. But I did have to laugh when I read the report.

First bit was about how much the girls have improved last year....great I thought.

Then said we went down "narrowly"....great effort.

Then said the margin was 29 points....hmm, ok not my definition of narrow but I guess better than some of the margins last year.

Then gave me the score. We kicked 1 goal and they kicked 5.11....seems pretty 2020 like to me.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I didn't see the game. But I did have to laugh when I read the report.

First bit was about how much the girls have improved last year....great I thought.

Then said we went down "narrowly"....great effort.

Then said the margin was 29 points....hmm, ok not my definition of narrow but I guess better than some of the margins last year.

Then gave me the score. We kicked 1 goal and they kicked 5.11....seems pretty 2020 like to me.

I couldnt see any difference in skill.
Really poor skills.
And our highly marketed players are average at best.
Really disappointed.

tommystigers

Demetriou, McLachlan, Dillon. Just why?
Oct 6, 2004
It's supposed to be her key asset, marking. She doesn't mark the ball. We don't have crumbers. There isn't a spot for her in the team on her past 7 games.

tommystigers

Demetriou, McLachlan, Dillon. Just why?
Oct 6, 2004
really? Brisbane are hardly a powerhouse. We are paying dearly for our original botched list management.
Did you watch last year JB? Absolutely diabolical it was. We had Conti and Wakefield and a couple of cameos each week and that was it.
It's not at a level to compete but it is nowhere near the lack of football skill and headless chooks that it was. As I said a low base. Conti was tagged out of the game and had no impact but Mackenzie and Cordner were good. There is something to work with. Last year there was nothing. So yeah, an improvement.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'd agree an improvement.

One very big issue is that you tag Conti out of the game and there is no-one else, we need other options in the centre or opposition teams can tag Conti, even put 2 players on her, and we're stuffed.

DS

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Sheehan recruited all her mates and players that were good when she was playing 10 years ago. As the women's game has evolved she is still living in the past. She has f'd it up completely. Outside of Ellie and Conti both of which cost us pick 1 every decision has been woeful.

1. Grace Campbell one of our best players traded for a pack of chips
2. Grace Egan - we didn't even pre-list and now playing well at the scum.
3. A first rounder traded for Frederick and Hosking - both look average
4. Sophie Molan - a top 10 pick that looks a mile off it.

Our whole program is f'd until we get someone in that knows what they are doing

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Did not watch this game but have watched snippets of some other games.
Firstly, good on the girls and women who want to play AFl. By all means do so.
Secondly, for me and me alone perhaps, I do not find the game edifying or even watchable.
For those who do, good on you, watch and enjoy.
Thirdly, the skill level is not that good, especially at ground level.
Not for one moment would I put down the females who wish to play, it just at this stage anyway, not for me.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
There’s been improvement, that is true, but they look slow, all of them , not just Frederick. Won’t win many, if any, games unless they quicken up a bit.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Disappointed.

I generally like Bennet as a commentator, but had to laugh when he described Fredericks and Brennan as our ‘twin towers’. Fredericks is tall, but Brennan is 174 cms.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If Conti was up forward we wouldn't have got the ball down there at all.

It is so frustrating and disappointing - Brennan has always been over rated and Frederick was finished when she was still at Brisbane.

Lots of "tried hard", "it will click soon", "plenty of positives" and other platitudes. Like watching the men in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I will be surprised if we win a game. The AFLW is the inverse of the AFLM.

Conti wasn't touching it though. She had like 3 possessions in the 1st half not sure how many second, so when we did get it down there it wasn't directly due to her. She was really well held, so defo not a knock on her, she's clearly our best player hence why Brisbane tagged her so tightly, but we could have moved her around a bit more to try and get her involved in the game as clearly she wasn't impacting in the middle.

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Managed to make it through the first half and the last half of the north/cats game prior. Much better than last year and much better than the cats. I’ll take that. Still 10 years away from a good comp, but ya gotta start somewhere.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Further again on Sabrina, I would play her as “bear in the square”.
Haarrrgh. Bloke called Larry Donahue played that role for Newcomb footy club after he finished at Geelol. Thunderous thighs n a massive arse, he'd lead from the goal square to maximum 35 out and there wasn't a full back in the Bellarine league could stop him.
Plugga was the last bloke at AFL level could do that, but there's been plenty at lower levels could dominate comps.