AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Anyone who thinks/thought you could have women’s professional AFL within a few years at a high standard was/is an idiot. It will be the kids growing up watching this on TV that will be the high standard, professional, entertaining footy players. In the interim, I’m happy to support our girls so that when it matters, we will have all of the right systems in place to have a successful, entertaining AFLW team.

Reactions: 7 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I've thought of a few options on moving the AFLW Board into Dyertribe... the question that I have is - should VFL News also be moved in light of RFCs view 'clubs win premierships'?

I'll start a poll with some options, as the top area may need to demote some child boards as it gets cluttered.

A yes from me

Reactions: 1 user

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I'd really like to like it, but it's very hard to watch. I imagine that's as bad as it gets though, we'll be better for the run.
Yep, we'll get better but how much better? Great to see them enjoying their sport but that was a similar low-scoring scramble game of AFLW that we've seen many times.... get ball, quick tackle, ball-up, get ball, quick tackle, etc., etc. only interrupted by Carlton's foot speed, marking and kicking skills. Most of the girls (on both sides) don't yet have the quick thinking, quick handball skills, knock on skills and foot speed to get the ball out of trouble into the clear at ball-ups or contests. To break clear of packs and approaching tacklers you must have powerful leg drive and that's where men have it over women because of our hormonal difference and generally stronger muscles. So as much as women want to play a similar game as men they will struggle to match the open look of the men's game and that's not being sexist, it's just biology. The women's game may look a lot better with fewer players on each side and only using three-quarters of the full size ground. Perhaps over time more talented women who are faster and stronger will join team lists so the full ground may be required but not at this stage.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yep, we'll get better but how much better? Great to see them enjoying their sport but that was a similar low-scoring scramble game of AFLW that we've seen many times.... get ball, quick tackle, ball-up, get ball, quick tackle, etc., etc. only interrupted by Carlton's foot speed, marking and kicking skills. Most of the girls (on both sides) don't yet have the quick thinking, quick handball skills, knock on skills and foot speed to get the ball out of trouble into the clear at ball-ups or contests. To break clear of packs and approaching tacklers you must have powerful leg drive and that's where men have it over women because of our hormonal difference and generally stronger muscles. So as much as women want to play a similar game as men they will struggle to match the open look of the men's game and that's not being sexist, it's just biology. The women's game may look a lot better with fewer players on each side and only using three-quarters of the full size ground. Perhaps over time more talented women who are faster and stronger will join team lists so the full ground may be required but not at this stage.
Agree. They might have to lighten the rules a bit for women's football (one example, use VFA style with less players on ground - no wings - and maybe reduce the playing ground too)

Feb 25, 2007
%ing bloody press just waiting to bring the tiger's down.

This game was never going to be a lock out but the press and the AFL built it up as such and now have great glee in lambasting us:

"The Tiger army failed to show up in full voice as Richmond’s AFLW coming out party was spoiled by Carlton before a modest turnout at Ikon Park last night
There was no reprise of the famous lock-out that kick-started the first season, 2017, when 24,568 crammed into the Blues’ spiritual home on a warm evening to watch the home side take on Collingwood.

The AFL had hoped there would be major turnout as this was the debut of powerhouse Richmond, a club with more than 100,000 members, but league officials had to be content with an official attendance of 15,337 in what was a Tigers’ home game"

Why don't they wait on other round 1 attendance figures to make judgement?, but what would the fun be in that? :rolleyes:

Average 2019 AFLW crowds were (6,626 per match) which was inflated by the 52,000 that attended the GF in Adelaide which was phenomenal,

It was a pro Richmond crowd. I would say 10K tigers and 5K blues. What a dumb article by the age. In 2017 it was the inaugural AFL women's league first ever game and it envolved blues v pies. Heck, even my niece went and she is a mad tigers fan.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just switched over to the GC & GWS game on Fox Footy and GC coach David Lake says we held the game up instead of trying to score.....paused for a bit and then:"I'll leave it that....I'll leave it that".

Geez, we seem to stink bad from all ends...Where did this goose come from?

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Which one, I'm abit of a fan. Have the latest Atlee Pine, just have to finish another book before getting into it.

The one I am reading right now is called the Simple truth. One of his older books I think from 1996. have read many of his books Bow Wow and love them. Anther good author is Barry Eisler BTW

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Just switched over to the GC & GWS game on Fox Footy and GC coach David Lake says we held the game up instead of trying to score.....paused for a bit and then:"I'll leave it that....I'll leave it that".

Geez, we seem to stink bad from all ends...Where did this goose come from?
Sounds like a Ross Lyon disciple.

• Haha

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I've thought of a few options on moving the AFLW Board into Dyertribe... the question that I have is - should VFL News also be moved in light of RFCs view 'clubs win premierships'?

I'll start a poll with some options, as the top area may need to demote some child boards as it gets cluttered.
IMO you should simply move this thread to the AFLW sub-board which should be same as the VFL sub-board (as it currently seems to be). Anyone who wants to discuss it (including me) can do it there and hopefully the "i gave it a half" type posting can be avoided.

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
The one I am reading right now is called the Simple truth. One of his older books I think from 1996. have read many of his books Bow Wow and love them. Anther good author is Barry Eisler BTW
Not read that one, seen it , but put it back and selected others. Enjoyed the Camel Club series, and Will Robie seires. Always sweat every year on the new Lee Child.

Apologies all for hijacking the AFLW thread....

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Not read that one, seen it , but put it back and selected others. Enjoyed the Camel Club series, and Will Robie seires. Always sweat every year on the new Lee Child.

Apologies all for hijacking the AFLW thread....
[/QUOTE

Another fave of mine is Lee Child also. Seems we have similar tastes.

No more from me as I don't want to hijack this thread either.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Are they relying on us to pull the crowds??
After last night's efforts, 15,000 now looks like 150,000.
The Quality of game especially from us was no more then a under 12's game.
We need time to bulid a side, half our team cant kick and cant mark.
We need time....

YES. 14 sides in the women's comp is just ludicrous. It just waters down the quality so much it becomes just so difficult to watch. It's highly contested and kudos to the desperation they show but until the majority of players can hit targets it's going to remain more like a game of scrum than a game of footy. Novelty factor has worn off. As much as I like having a Tiger team the AFL should have reduced the number of teams, not increased them, until, the game is mature enough to recruit players who grew up playing the game.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Women golfers and women tennis players have been playing those sports since they were 3/4/5 years of age. No wonder they are highly skilled. It will take the current 3/4/5 girls to fully learn the skills that are required in Aussie Rules.

It wasn't long ago women cricketers generally couldn't hit the ball to the boundary line. Now most can. Skill level has improved drastically.

Most sports now have a female pathway and the AFL had to have one aswell or lose ground.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The girls are Tigers, there's no question in my mind if I support them or not. Actually, there's no real choice when they wear the same jumpers and sing the same song.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
They should rethink the idea of playing home games at Princess Park.
I personally think that is a really poor decision.
Punt rd oval is big enough.
Shut the gates when there’s too many...