Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Your views are very black and white 123. Plenty of grey in the bring Rance back for the finals debate.

The only genuine no risk option is for him to retire. We’re comparing risk percentages, not avoiding risk altogether.
I'm arguing the risks of including Rance in this years final race will have on our chances to win it. It's higher risk than reward for me.

I’m arguing against the team getting rattled if he went down again. I think they’d cope perfectly fine, because they’ve already proven it.

We’d be losing a bonus weapon as opposed to losing a core, essential structural element. Big difference is psychology.

Aren’t you more bullish about the team’s ability to cope without him now compared to earlier in the year? Wouldn’t the team feel the same?
I'm arguing that it will rattle the team. Maybe not as much, maybe in a different way, but it will have an effect. This time we won't have the luxury of a a long season to allows us to refocus and get back into gear.

From a position of form / best 22, I’ll very confidently back Alex to prove he’s best 22 by the Grand Final. He’d be 6th/7th man.

I’m sure the new backline could learn to cope.
Individual, yeah, best handful. Would his inclusion into the team today make the team play better from day 1, no, I don't think so. May only take a week or two but finals footy is finals footy. You put your best team out there, not your best individuals. Probably one of the main reasons we lost the prelim last year.

What i dont get is the absence of understanding of what a champion Rance is and what champions can do in big moments 3/4 fit.

Some of us remember Martin's performance in last year's prelim.

Reactions: 1 user
george_large.0.0.jpg

Nick R just said rance should be a selfish bastard and play because the chance may never come again. Bob M said no he should sit out we will challenge again. What to doooooooooooooooooooooo!!!???
Plenty of players have thought that finals n flags would roll around year after year. Most find to their horror and regret that often you only get one chance, many don't even get that.

Bobs Bulldogs still challenging themselves to get back into finals contention after their 2016 flag, every chance they may not win their third for another fifty or sixty years. Just like last time.
There's still another scenario with Tross that seems to have been lost in the discussions. Always depending of course on Tross getting the all clear from the surgeon. There's a chance that he might become a priceless emergency for us.
If he gets the all clear and gets some change of direction running etc over the next few weeks. He could perhaps play interchange in a magoos final or two to gain some match fitness without overly risking himself and be on standby if either Grub or *smile* get injured later in our finals campaign. Bloody auto censor, Astbury.

Tony Sheahan claiming Alex Rance is considering retirement at end of year. Want to go travelling with his wife in 2020. Is this Sheahan bloke any good?

• Haha
Googling Sheahan suggests that he went to the Tom Browne school of journalism, if you make enough wild claims you’ll get one right eventually.

Tony Sheahan claiming Alex Rance is considering retirement at end of year. Want to go travelling with his wife in 2020. Is this Sheahan bloke any good?
If this is anywhere near the mark, then you'd think Tross would be putting everything into one last crack at a flag......................................... Oh wait.

The Tigers will do what's right for the Tigers whether Rance decides he wants to call it quits at the end of the year or not. There's no way Rance will be physically and mentally ready to play AFL finals footy within 5 months of a knee reconstruction. He would be a liability and Tigers just wouldn't be that dumb or desperate to take such a risk. Balmey is on the money and has already hinted at the club's view.

Rance is contracted to 2021.if he does decide not to continue, which would be a great shame, he would open up a bit of salary cap space I'd imagine and maybe that would allow us to recruit another big name on a 2 year deal.

It's not the end of the world, whatever the outcome is, but playing again this year won't be Rance's decision.

We,ll have to remember this call from Sheahan when Rancey saddles up in 2020.

Interesting if true ,

If he has lost the hunger to continue on top of the injury , from a strictly football point of view ,retirement may not be as bad as it initially sounds

Be sad though

Desperate to play and desperate to retire. I'm guessing one of these ain't true

• Haha
The no risk option is not to play him. If we can make the Grand Final without Rance playing a full game all year then where's the risk of playing the Grand Final without him?

Disagree with your disagreement. By bringing him back the club has signalled to the team that they think we need to rick a Rance return for a better chance to win. Losing him again would carry a fair bit of baggage

Antman said it best. Hasn't played all year. Hasn't played with the new backline setup. New backline haven't played with Rance for a year
Has he played footy before? FFS u make him sound like a liability.

By bringing him back where?

PRE medicos just making stuff up again.

I'm arguing that it will rattle the team. Maybe not as much, maybe in a different way, but it will have an effect. This time we won't have the luxury of a a long season to allows us to refocus and get back into gear.

How fragile are they? Rattle the team bringing back the best defender of the modern era?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Still has 2 years left on his contract. Would be giving up well over a million dollars..
Wanna be some holiday. o_O
Methinks he should take one at season's end & get ready for 2020.