Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Of course Rance wants to play.
Just reckon the Club is going to be ultra-conservative with him.
He would have to do something rather remarkable to get back into match day form before the finals.
Has to be cherry ripe for September if he is to be selected.
Can't go selecting him half match fit and expecting him to be tear the game apart.
Going to be a tough decision all round.

If Thompson can get back a fortnight after rupturing a groyster

Surely 20 weeks is excessively pissweak for a little knee cord?

Rance is a champ and the rules are different.

If Richmond hold him back against medical advice and we lose a gf by a kick

We'll never be able to think about anything else, forever.

Hi guys its been a long time since i posted.

For various reasons i stayed away ( mainly the constant abuse, put downs ) and being the volatile type it was better to stay away and come back when i was ready.

I still came on the site ( looks great ) and read the posts after game day. Some things haven't changed though.

Anyway so back on Rance.

My view is he should not be risked.

1. Rance has a number of years left. I would hate him to come back and re-injure himself and miss another year.
2. The affect on morale if he were to come back on the eve of finals or even in a final and hurts himself what effect would it have on the team? We saw how we struggled for a period of time and now it appears the backline is settled and playing good footy together in sinc.
3. Grimes. He has become Rance and doing a great job playing the role that Rance has done so well for so long and its like having Rance out there , as when you hear Grimes talk he often speaks about Rance, the role he has played mentoring him and the other group of backman ( its like having another coach out there) could that have an unsettling affect to Grimes game ( for a while ? ).
4. He is too valuable a commodity to the Club , to himself and to his team mates. Sometimes you have to lok at the bigger picture.

Come back Rance, re set, get your body right, confidence in the knee and have that desire, fire in the belly to inspire this group to a tilt for a premiership in 2020.

Keep doing what you are doing coaching and assisting Grimes and the other defenders , inspire them to achieve greatness this year as you are / will be a Tiger great.

My thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
Your thoughts are probably in the majority Waiting but there is no guarantee we will seriously challenge next year.

What about the motivational effect of Rancey training with the boys in September, or the effect on opposition coaches and players.

I'm more of a carpe diem type mindset.

Reactions: 1 user
No guarantees works both ways really. We could not challenge after this year, his knee could go in the first 5 mins of a prelim.

The more astute posters were comparing the RFC 2016 season a mirror of the Cats 2006. The reset before the era of dominance. You'd bet we're in a position to challenge over the next 5 or so years.

As a team we emotionally dropped the bundle when Rance did his ACL round 1. It took a while to shake it. The emotional hit if Rance were to redo his knee during our campaign this year has more chance of derailing our premiership of ruining run this year than his inclusion at this late change would make it a certainty.

Grimes and Co have done a great job of readjusting to play without him. The belief we couldn't win a GF without Rance is without the window throuought the AFL world. His inclusion now would be a feel good story, not a necessity.

Let's not risk him for his sake and the teams sake.

Reactions: 3 users
The issue is difference in risk. A no risk option doesn't exist.

As a team we emotionally dropped the bundle when Rance did his ACL round 1. It took a while to shake it. The emotional hit if Rance were to redo his knee during our campaign this year has more chance of derailing our premiership of ruining run this year than his inclusion at this late change would make it a certainty.

Disagree. If it happens a second time, it wouldn't have anywhere near the same emotional impact as the first time. The team has now adjusted and proven they can do it without him.

Let's not risk him for his sake and the teams sake.

Are there any other non-medical reasons to not play him? If the surgeon says the difference in risk is negligible, then what reasons exist for thinking he should sit on the sidelines?

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any other non-medical reasons to not play him? If the surgeon says the difference in risk is negligible, then what reasons exist for thinking he should sit on the sidelines?

The fact that he hasn't played a game of football since round 1?

The fact that he hasn't played a game of football since round 1?

A week in the VFL and I'd very confidently back Alex Rance to contribute more than the 6th/7th defender he'd replace, especially with a view to building him up for the Grand Final.

All my ladder predictions have us playing West Coast in the GF.

The only other team with two genuinely menacing talls.

I think the only reason the door is being kept ajar is the possibility that Rance could just be asked to sit on Kennedy.

Not intercept. Not break to spoil.

If you look at Astbury, he just runs his lines. He has the turning circle of the QE2.

He does absolutely nothing that could see his troublesome knee be asked to cash a cheque he cannot pay.

Forget about Goldsack or Morris. Could the template be his old comrade in arms?

I think Rance is possibly in line to play the gorilla minder. Astbury to take the other tall and Grimes to stay as goal keeper intercept.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
All my ladder predictions have us playing West Coast in the GF.

The only other team with two genuinely menacing talls.

I think the only reason the door is being kept ajar is the possibility that Rance could just be asked to sit on Kennedy.

Not intercept. Not break to spoil.

If you look at Astbury, he just runs his lines. He has the turning circle of the QE2.

He does absolutely nothing that could see his troublesome knee be asked to cash a cheque he cannot pay.

Forget about Goldsack or Morris. Could the template be his old comrade in arms?

I think Rance is possibly in line to play the gorilla minder. Astbury to take the other tall and Grimes to stay as goal keeper intercept.
Richmond has no one other than Rance who can match up well on Kennedy

A week in the VFL and I'd very confidently back Alex Rance to contribute more than the 6th/7th defender he'd replace, especially with a view to building him up for the Grand Final.

Fair enough Kid. I think that given Alex has only been doing straight line running til now (if reports are to be believed) he won't play in the VFL until he starts doing full drills and contested work - there are three VFL rounds remaining before finals IIRC. Can't see it happening myself, but hey, stranger things have happened.

The issue is difference in risk. A no risk option doesn't exist.
The no risk option is not to play him. If we can make the Grand Final without Rance playing a full game all year then where's the risk of playing the Grand Final without him?

Disagree. If it happens a second time, it wouldn't have anywhere near the same emotional impact as the first time. The team has now adjusted and proven they can do it without him.
Disagree with your disagreement. By bringing him back the club has signalled to the team that they think we need to rick a Rance return for a better chance to win. Losing him again would carry a fair bit of baggage

Antman said it best. Hasn't played all year. Hasn't played with the new backline setup. New backline haven't played with Rance for a year

The no risk option is not to play him. If we can make the Grand Final without Rance playing a full game all year then where's the risk of playing the Grand Final without him?

That’s not a no risk option. It’s deferring the risk until Round 1 next year.

There’s a risk he’ll re-injure himself in Round 1.

The difference in risk is the issue, and only Alex and his surgeon will know the answer.

The only genuine no risk option is for him to retire. We’re comparing risk percentages, not avoiding risk altogether.

Disagree with your disagreement. By bringing him back the club has signalled to the team that they think we need to rick a Rance return for a better chance to win. Losing him again would carry a fair bit of baggage
I’m arguing against the team getting rattled if he went down again. I think they’d cope perfectly fine, because they’ve already proven it.

We’d be losing a bonus weapon as opposed to losing a core, essential structural element. Big difference is psychology.

Aren’t you more bullish about the team’s ability to cope without him now compared to earlier in the year? Wouldn’t the team feel the same?

Antman said it best. Hasn't played all year. Hasn't played with the new backline setup. New backline haven't played with Rance for a year

From a position of form / best 22, I’ll very confidently back Alex to prove he’s best 22 by the Grand Final. He’d be 6th/7th man.

I’m sure the new backline could learn to cope.

These concerns amount to the greatest problem of the century... “how can we fit Alex Rance in as a bonus player?”

If the surgeon provides good news and this is our biggest issue leading into finals... make sure you have your ticket ready!

If we can make the Grand Final without Rance playing a full game all year then where's the risk of playing the Grand Final without him

Losing by a point after Short *smile* himself and his opponent kicks a goal in the final 10 seconds?

I totally get the risk averse argument about team balance and longevity and I'll trust the fitness blokes and the coaches. I have no say in the matter

What i dont get is the absence of understanding of what a champion Rance is and what champions can do in big moments 3/4 fit.