Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I heard on the radio today that in the NFL an ACL recovery is 5-6 months (without LARS), which is half what we would normally go for.
I'm not a medical or biomechanics expert, so not sure what the load on the body would be in both sports, but it does make us look conservative.
BT read a text message from a surgeon however which was hugely critical of Richmond for accelerating his rehab, and said that the early work would compromise the strength of the graft. The follow up to that was we might as well play him, as there's no benefit in holding back until next year as the "damage" to the rehab is now done and can't be reversed.

BT ehh..... trusting anything he said like trusting my mother-in-law :confused:

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Science is science. Frankly, it doesn’t care about your opinions.

Dale Morris is 1 case study. Doctors have access to 1000’s of case studies and can match Rance against similar profiles, including the specific injury type.

Don’t buy into the slot machine media’s desire to spin this story into a drama. Their job, literally, is to exploit your fears and grab your attention, nothing more.

No offence, but you’re being ridiculous if you’re forming strong emotional opinions about a topic based on 1 case and zero knowledge of anything else.

Balme didn’t say Rance won’t play. He said Rance won’t play IF there is an increased risk by returning early.

I’m telling you guys, the club will know the answer to that question based on scientific data.

If the data says there’s no elevated risk to return now compared to returning next year (or if there’s a 1% difference in risk), I don’t want to see everyone in here criticising the club based on nothing but sheer ignorance and media-driven drama.

My point is you should trust the medical world’s consensus more than the media’s attempts to generate discussion. To do otherwise is to be the modern equivalent of a flat earther throwing stones at Galileo’s telescope because Bible stories.

Just faith in the club’s decision either way, they know what they’re doing.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Since the round 13 loss to the Crows, the backline (sans Rance) the past 5 weeks has kept sides to..

Rnd 15 - 70 pts (Saints)

Rnd 16 - 58 pts (Suns)

Rnd 17 -
67 pts (Giants)

Rnd 18 -
63 pts (Power)

Rnd 19 -
66 pts (Pies)
---------------------------------------
Average:
64.8 against

Do we need even need him if there's any risk?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I heard on the radio today that in the NFL an ACL recovery is 5-6 months (without LARS), which is half what we would normally go for.
I'm not a medical or biomechanics expert, so not sure what the load on the body would be in both sports, but it does make us look conservative.
BT read a text message from a surgeon however which was hugely critical of Richmond for accelerating his rehab, and said that the early work would compromise the strength of the graft. The follow up to that was we might as well play him, as there's no benefit in holding back until next year as the "damage" to the rehab is now done and can't be reversed.

This is a bit of a myth I think. Most articles I read state 6 months as MINIMUM time for recovery, then the time required to get match fit, so typically 9 months. There may be a couple of exceptions. On average they are less conservative in NFL it seems but that may be just as much due to the season dates than anything else. Also NFL is more of a straight line game, everything is in front of you so requires less repetitive stress on the (unnatural) sideways twisting of the knee.

Here's some examples of real life situations for quarterbacks (guys who do alot more twisting and turning than most in NFL):

Can't really see any who have come back within 5 months which is what Rance would have needed to come back by to give him time (very optimistically) to build match fitness to then play finals. The club seems to be making it pretty clear now that he will not be considered for a return this year. I fully expected this to be the case as I think there would be a high chance of finishing Rance's career trying to get him back playing before acceptances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Since the round 13 loss to the Crows, the backline (sans Rance) the past 5 weeks has kept sides to..

Rnd 15 - 70 pts (Saints)

Rnd 16 - 58 pts (Suns)

Rnd 17 -
67 pts (Giants)

Rnd 18 -
63 pts (Power)

Rnd 19 -
66 pts (Pies)
---------------------------------------
Average:
64.8 against

Do we need even need him if there's any risk?

We have lost 2 games for the year when Astbury and Grimes have played together- the Pies and Roos. i think we have won 12.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I doubt Rance will be playing again in 2019.

Balmey nigh on said as much.

The club will not want to risk him, the RFC is conservative with injury management these days and the defence has held up.

With Chol running arouns as second ruck it has given the extra option of having a tall (ruck) drop back across Half Back during play to block holes and assist with the high balls coming in.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
I think Ch7 has an exclusive interview with The Rancid One 2night on the news.
Prob in sport at 6-40pm at a guess.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I think Ch7 has an exclusive interview with The Rancid One 2night on the news.
Prob in sport at 6-40pm at a guess.
On Channel 10 news tonight they aired an interview with Rance, (may have been from a radio station interview), next Friday is D-Day where he meets his surgeon. He will be putting his hand up but also has to consider the club as a whole and his mates.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Nick R just said rance should be a selfish bastard and play because the chance may never come again. Bob M said no he should sit out we will challenge again. What to doooooooooooooooooooooo!!!???

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Of course we will challenge again. We'll (hopefully) be in a better position re injuries next year, Stack/Baker/Shai will be even better as will Lynch. Cotchin, who knows, but with Ross/Shai/Graham in midfield we'll be even stronger next year I reckon. Grimes/Astbury/Vlas still have a few years left. Even Houli will go round again. Lynch, George, Rioli plus Riewoldt up front, stronger than this year.

TBH I think we'll be a stronger side next year than this. Add Rance back in as well and hey presto, instant multiple flags.

So suck it up Alex, you have to wait til next mate.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
On Channel 10 news tonight they aired an interview with Rance, (may have been from a radio station interview), next Friday is D-Day where he meets his surgeon. He will be putting his hand up but also has to consider the club as a whole and his mates.
The interview was on Triple M.
He is meeting up with surgeon then discussing results with the club.
Rance wants to play but club will have final call.