Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Agree, I sense a sizeable ego at play here.

Of most interest to me is how we will utilise Grimes and Vlastuin to share the load. We also need Balta up and running back there.

astbury one year older on those knees and Houli might slow a little.

We are a Grimes injury away from some issues down back.

His knee injury didn't flk up our season this year, but this decision will bend us over next year.
People were saying Balta wasnt performing well at training and the next option is Carthwaite.
Maybe Moore can move back

Whichever way you spin it the timing is horrible. Why couldn’t this decision have been made 2 months ago to allow us an extra spot on the list?

Rance will forever be a great of the club but this isn’t his finest hour.

Reactions: 6 users
Terrible news. So disappointing - decision & timing. Silly choice by him in my view - he’s 30 & you’re a long time retired. Surely his religion could have waited for 2-3 more years. Selfishly, we’ve been robbed of seeing our greatest ever defender for 2-3 more seasons too. Shame & a waste on his behalf.

Still a great list though plus opportunity knocks for Noah Balta - he’ll be fine & even more incentive for him to get fit & develop under Leppitsch in the same way Rance did.

Reactions: 2 users
Whichever way you spin it the timing is horrible. Why couldn’t this decision have been made 2 months ago to allow us an extra spot on the list?

Rance will forever be a great of the club but this isn’t his finest hour.
Well with the new rules I think we will have a list spot available (ie like when Grigga retired) but the timing is such that we couldn't fill it during the draft season, and we have to use the SSP or mid-season draft instead.

Reactions: 1 users
Was critical of Griffiths' timing, even while understanding the opportunity that presented given his history of concussions. Same standard needs to be applied here.

The feting of his career can come later. Unless the knee is no good, this isn't his finest hour.

Hold him to the same standards as Richo then who also retired after the trade/draft period.

These guys are competitive beasts, driven to be the best they can be. If Rance has come to the realisation that he couldn't, for whatever reason, be the best he could be, then it's right for him to stand down. The fact Rance at 80% would probably still be in the top 10 defenders in the AFL is our problem to deal with, not Rance's.

He's a natural for a media gig. This year showed that coaching is also something he'd excel at. But it seems like Rance has his heart set on door knocking at least for the short term.

Reactions: 3 users
Sadly all good things come to an end. Fortunately at Tigerland new opportunities open up and given the coaching staff am confident that they may even "reinvent" a player like CCJ or RCD to fill such a gap. Always great memories of Rancey who even in the bad years gave 110%. At least he went out at the top.

Hold him to the same standards as Richo then who also retired after the trade/draft period.

These guys are competitive beasts, driven to be the best they can be. If Rance has come to the realisation that he couldn't, for whatever reason, be the best he could be, then it's right for him to stand down. The fact Rance at 80% would probably still be in the top 10 defenders in the AFL is our problem to deal with, not Rance's.

Richo retired ahead of the draft and was further back in his recovery. We were in full-tilt rebuild mode anyway.

Yeah it's our issue to deal with and we have no choice but to accept Rance's decision. It would help if the timing was explained. Perhaps the club's "be yourself" mantra has come back to bite it.

Reactions: 1 user

He's a natural for a media gig. This year showed that coaching is also something he'd excel at. But it seems like Rance has his heart set on door knocking at least for the short term.

First off, gotta thank the man for everything he has done. He is arguably the biggest influence that changed this clubs toxic and disgusting culture to being the most outstanding in the league currently. His approach literally made us the the club of brothers and (Excuse the wanky term) 'Wellness". There is no way this club is the one it is today without the pefect combination of Dimma, Cotchin & Rance. Onfield and offield, no other 3 have had a bigger impact on Richmond since the 70's. Thanks for everything Mr sexiest man in the world - Alex Rance.

Now to the footy me - So disappointing to hear he has retired, especially so close to Xmas. I can understand that his choice is his choice, but for a Jehovah you would think the timing might have been 'not Xmas' time - even Santa can't fix this whole in my heart & was sad to tell my son this morning. The timing is very confusing. To miss an entire season, do all the rehab and get back to being almost full health on the back of another flag run. Why retire now & after the draft etc? The club must be regretting not targeting a key back with all those picks now.

If he were to take on a media gig, that would not sit well for me. Can retire young, healthy and mid-contract to spend more time with god and your family, but still be on the telly talking footy and getting paid. Not sure if the 2 narratives can co-exist .

Now for the other conversation - With that money, do we enter the Grundy sweep-stakes? The ultimate replacement.

Richo retired ahead of the draft and was further back in his recovery. We were in full-tilt rebuild mode anyway.
Yeah, you're right. He retired after trade, before draft.

Yeah it's our issue to deal with and we have no choice but to accept Rance's decision. It would help if the timing was explained. Perhaps the club's "be yourself" mantra has come back to bite it.
Rance mentions the timing in his video interview with Richo. Said he didn't want his knee to be a factor in his retirement. It's now that he considers himself no longer injured that he could make the decision based on what was important to him. i.e. retirement wasnt forced on him.

Not a big rap for any type of religion as I just think they're all cults in some way, shape or form.
I do however respect everyone's right to believe what they wanna believe.

Rancey's mob apparently gave him special dispensation to play professional sport which is something they particularly abhor.
I reckon they could've put the squeeze on him to pull the pin.

I think you may very well be on the money. Melbourne recently hosted the International Convention for Jehovah's Witness, less than a month later Rancey has called it quits.

Sad end to his career but all the best to Rancey and his family.

My God, what a privilege it has been to watch him play Football! We should all be so grateful that he was ours.

His duels with Buddy were the highlight of any season for me. The only defender that could beat him fair and square - one on one. In the same class as the Carey -Jackovic battles.
Can’t criticise the timing without all the facts -which I feel we’re missing right now. But one thing this club loves is a challenge -I reckon we’ll go ok in 2020 without him. Chance for the youngsters to make an impression.

Nagging wife. They get you in the end. We should have traded him to Carlton ala Yarran style.

Rance mentions the timing in his video interview with Richo. Said he didn't want his knee to be a factor in his retirement. It's now that he considers himself no longer injured that he could make the decision based on what was important to him. i.e. retirement wasnt forced on him.

So he's fully recovered but worried about doing the knee again?

He's not making a strong case!

There is some silver lining here:

- We could potentially unearth another player with the SSP;

- We can now jiggle some TPP's around and front-end others contracts such as Cotch or Jack to make up Rancy's 2020 salary, freeing up even more cap space for 2021(could have around $1.6 million available for 2021)

I think you may very well be on the money. Melbourne recently hosted the International Convention for Jehovah's Witness, less than a month later Rancey has called it quits.
That makes more sense

Reactions: 1 user