Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Who knows what goes on in Alex's head. But to put in all the work, for one final tilt (and I think it would have been no surprise in fact expected for him to retire at end of 2020), only to pull the pin in late Dec.....ya just shake ya head. Goodbye to the FB GOAT.

Any chance it's some sort of response to being pressured into aborting the comeback? The timing is extremely odd.

Reactions: 1 users

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
Any chance it's some sort of response to being pressured into aborting the comeback? The timing is extremely odd.
I wonder whether actually he'd made up his mind during his rehab early this year that he'd retire, and was doing everything in his power to get back and help the boys win a flag so he felt he hadn't let the side down by getting injured. When he couldn't get back, maybe he wavered and was thinking of going on, but we won the flag without him so he then felt he could retire.

Reactions: 4 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
interesting the words "spiritual growth" came before "family"... chalk one down for Jehovah ..
good luck to him, what a star .. the Armageddon outta here Full Back !

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
He’s retired due to religious beliefs and family.
Religion has a lot to answer for.

Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Devastated. Has a few years left in him and you are a long time retired. Has many years to ponder the meaning of life. Reckon he'll regret jumping off the juggernaut this early.

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Maybe he was told he's not an automatic inclusion into the team and he'd have to fight his way back into the Premiership defence.

In all seriousness, this is a lot easier to accept because we won the flag without him last year despite everyone saying we couldn't do it without Rance. Had we missed out, this news would have hurt a lot more.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I wonder whether actually he'd made up his mind during his rehab early this year that he'd retire, and was doing everything in his power to get back and help the boys win a flag so he felt he hadn't let the side down by getting injured. When he couldn't get back, maybe he wavered and was thinking of going on, but we won the flag without him so he then felt he could retire.

Mmmm, mission accomplished. So a month ago he has an arthroscope, a fortnight ago he turns up for pre-season training.

In the past he's requested (and been given) extra time off in this period. It seems like a very sudden about-face.

I don't like having to metaphorically probe the mind of Alex Rance for answers!

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Really poor timing for the club, but the guys a champ and I'm sure he agonized over this for ages.

Thanks for all the fantastic memories, the 2017 premiership and the joy you brought the club. Enjoy retirement Tross.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Maybe just maybe , he also feels he won’t be the same player ,

Before the injury there were a few little signs, throw in the knee injury to recover from , his age ,

Just a guess obviously, but it might also be part of the decision

Reactions: 2 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Just one of those guys for whom footy was not the be all and end all. I still want to see him in a Fawlty Towers style show set in footy club.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Not a big rap for any type of religion as I just think they're all cults in some way, shape or form.
I do however respect everyone's right to believe what they wanna believe.

Rancey's mob apparently gave him special dispensation to play professional sport which is something they particularly abhor.
I reckon they could've put the squeeze on him to pull the pin.

Also, don't be surprised if he turns up at Essendon as a development coach:(

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
This decision could rock the club.
He always wanted to leave before his time but why now.
We could've help him by trading him outside of victoria.
Like others have said this decision could have made our drafting and trading Totally different.
Anyway Wish all the best..

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Rance has always been a weird cat , didn't need him this year same next year .
Well played Alex ! time to move on great chance for another young player ...

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
In all seriousness, this is a lot easier to accept because we won the flag without him last year despite everyone saying we couldn't do it without Rance. Had we missed out, this news would have hurt a lot more.

I agree Baloo, mentally it's easier to accept due to Alex missing all bar one game, us winning the flag, and the knowledge that we appear to be a club with the ability to rise above adversity and mostly these days, make great decisions for the future.
In a funny way it's sort of exciting to see what happens next!