Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Any religious zealot is a nutjob IMO. Any religion that subjugates one or the other sex should be ridiculed.

Plenty of evidence that JW men in particular are a misogynistic, domineering bunch.

Rance is tying his cart to that group. Despite him being my favourite player of all time I have little respect for his choice of religion and I'd have no qualms in telling hm that if he comes knocking on my door.
Maybe the joint AFL/AFLW training session was the last straw....

Reactions: 1 user
we won the GF without him on the field for the entire year.
heavily doctrinated people like JWs justify decisions for the good of themselves and 'god' in the hope of resurrection. because if they don't, in the case of JWs, they don't have a chance to live again and will stay dead forever. they're fear mongers.. join us or die forever .. heavy ..
great footballer, crap theologian ..

we won the GF without him on the field for the entire year.
heavily doctrinated people like JWs justify decisions for the good of themselves and 'god' in the hope of resurrection. because if they don't, in the case of JWs, they don't have a chance to live again and will stay dead forever. they're fear mongers.. join us or die forever .. heavy ..
great footballer, crap theologian ..
Yeah but only 144,000 live again, you would want to hold a winning ticket

Really, how?

The only thing this did was prevent us drafting another kid in the National Draft, at pick 70 ish.

How about the 800+ salary he was on
We could've traded.
Its all well and good he decided to retire, but the opportunity to grab someone with the freed up cash has disadvantaged us.
Crouch Cotchin Prestia
Wines Cotchin Castagnafield.

How about the 800+ salary he was on
We could've traded.
Its all well and good he decided to retire, but the opportunity to grab someone with the freed up cash has disadvantaged us.
Crouch Cotchin Prestia
Wines Cotchin Castagnafield.

I doubt we would have traded in players. We had no obvious needs to spend that sort of money on. That 800k you talk about will be put to better use resigning our own players. We are going to need it if we want to keep Stack and Pickett.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolute champion.

There will always be time for religion but time runs out for football.

Very surprising decision especially considering the hurt he felt not being out there in our recent premiership triumph and the fact he has done everything in his rehab and so far this preseason to ensure he was more than ready for 2020.

Anyone noticed some goosebrain on the Horks BF forum mentioning that Rancey's retirement could be PED related?

Not unreasonable for footy fans to discuss the possibility among themselves IMO. I'm far from convinced e.g. Franklin being ruled out of an entire finals series on vague mental illness grounds wasn't something else.

Look at it at face value - after training obsessively for nine months to recover from a knee injury, Rance up and leaves after the draft in seeming contradiction of the club's team-first ethos, but remains on the list for a possible return. Not everyone is aware of Rance's quirky character, and being a champion who is built like a god only adds fuel.

If it wasn't Rancey and his possible retirement hadn't been publicly floated months earlier, I'd be suspicious.

Not unreasonable for footy fans to discuss the possibility among themselves IMO. I'm far from convinced e.g. Franklin being ruled out of an entire finals series on vague mental illness grounds wasn't something else.

Look at it at face value - after training obsessively for nine months to recover from a knee injury, Rance up and leaves after the draft in seeming contradiction of the club's team-first ethos, but remains on the list for a possible return. Not everyone is aware of Rance's quirky character, and being a champion who is built like a god only adds fuel.

If it wasn't Rancey and his possible retirement hadn't been publicly floated months earlier, I'd be suspicious.

his possible retirement was floated years earlier, right up until he re-signed in June 2015 (4 year deal)

his possible retirement was floated years earlier, right up until he re-signed in June 2015 (4 year deal)

Yes, that was headline news and everyone remembers it. I hadn't seen the more subtle suggestions that he could retire "at the end of 2019" until yesterday.

I guess he has no need to maintain that amazing physique in retirement. Would be interesting If he did happen to return in tip-top shape.

We recovered to win a flag when Griffiths retired..........................

I did post a few months ago that i feared he'd retire when he first did his knee, bearing in mind he had contemplated it a few years ago. I certainly didn't expect it considering how hard he's worked to get himself back.

I'm not sure where the critics are cominbg from regarding "how the club has handled it"!

How exactly was the club to handle it?

He's apparently voiced a desire to retire, the club has asked him to go away and think about it before making a final decision, and he's done that.

The club has accepted his decision and wished him well. What else exactly is the club to do?

In relation to what we could have done with the money or who we could have recruited, that would involve dropping him off the list and for mine i'd be very uncomfortable seeing that happen just yet. We don't need another mid, and there was very little in terms of key position stocks, and in my mind there isa chance, though maybe slight that the greatest key defender to play the game could walk back in the door half way through 2020 and say "hey - i'm back"!

At 30 years of age as we speak, i'd be leaving him on the list next year as well. He is a prodigeous talent and if the hunger returned, you can bet your sweet (_*_) that we won't be in a position to draft him, and if we were, Gillam McCockless would change the rules so we couldn't anyway.

The critics of Rance's reasoning seem to be stepping around just how much time and energy football takes up from the individual. Yes they are living the dream we'd all love to live but a lot of hard work goes into it as well. He have his reasons, and for mine they were pretty sound. As others have mentioned, i just hope it occurs to him that you are a long time retired, so maybe giving another "few" years to the game returns as an option.

I look at what happened with Isreal Falou and i wonder whether this has weighed in on his decision ?

Prior to Rance, the best key defender in my book was David Dench, dfended well and was a springboard into attack. You can throw up the octapus Silvagni who should have been umpired out of the game for his tactics or Matthew Scarlett who was definitely a great player, but who rarely played on a good forward during the second half of his career. In the first half of his career, he did play on the better forwards and defended them very well, whilst still attacking.

In Rance's case, he has played on the best forwards, and defended them along with pretty much everyone else's opponent whilst attacking like no other key defender ever has. His defense of other player's opponents was particulary noticeable before we rose as a power. For a few years there he was a wall when everyone else was struggling. To slot him back in with the evolution of an already very good Dylan Grimes and the rest of the back unit was a mouth watering prospect for all of us!

I think that's the thing that's so hard to accept. We've all been thinking "How hard will we be to score against with the great man back"? and now we will never know, or may never know.

At the end of the day, we as supporters don't personally own his life. If this is his choice, then we have to respect that and wish him the best. What he's given us over his career has been unbelievable. He gave us a few heart palputations early in the piece but in a sense that's made the journey with him all the sweeter.

I don't know how we can do anything but wish him all the best and thank him for unbelievable memories whilst holding some hope that some time this season, we see him hitting the training track again for a return and push for the 2020 flag.

Reactions: 14 users
Frick

"In Rance's case, he has played on the best forwards, and defended them along with pretty much everyone else's opponent whilst attacking like no other key defender ever has. His defense of other player's opponents was particulary noticeable before we rose as a power. For a few years there he was a wall when everyone else was struggling."

Absolutely. Beautifully summed up. This is Rance's legacy and how we should be remembering him. I will never forget Rance energizer-bunnying around our backline repelling everything by himself.

Reactions: 3 users
I doubt we would have traded in players. We had no obvious needs to spend that sort of money on. That 800k you talk about will be put to better use resigning our own players. We are going to need it if we want to keep Stack and Pickett.

Yes cash from retiring gun players had been earmarked for recontracting younger players anyway. Guys like Crouch and Wines would have demanded fairly long contracts and what else would we have needed to give up to secure them? We have some excellent prospective youngsters coming through.

Those 2 own the club otherwise both of them would be on $200 bucks playing for Subiaco.
The max Pickett will ever earn is 250-300
And i can't see offers more then 500 for Stack. If freo wasnt in the comp, i would even say 350.
They arent players that can go club to club and still preform. Its more to do with the environment.

Reactions: 1 users