Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
He’ll be back. Just a matter with who, Tigers, WC or Freo

Nah I don't think he'll be back. And if he does it will be a failed experiment after two years out of the game and 31 years old. I know Rance is some people's Superman but he's just a mere human.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
You know, 31yo, out of the game for 2 years, coming off an ACL. I'm not sure he'd make our starting 22 in 2021. Let me go to a cellar dweller team to help them along.
Still on contract so at least we might be able to scrounge a late draft pick in trade for him if he wanted to go to another club. I'm with you on this, two years out at his age n he wouldn't be earning any more than base payment n match fee. He'd be coming back purely for the love of the game, more than likely still handy but highly unlikely he'd get back to Tross man level.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Nah I don't think he'll be back. And if he does it will be a failed experiment after two years out of the game and 31 years old. I know Rance is some people's Superman but he's just a mere human.

After 2 years out of the game even moreso.

That is a significant hiatus..

He might be able to make it work at the RFC if he returned this year mid season but coming back in 2021 with 2 years out is asking a lot more.

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Listening to Rance talk on ABC/774 Radio early this evening he came across to me as being very reflective, keen to focus his energies in the best way possible for the best possible outcomes for more people than just himself. Alex is an a deep thinking fellow. His spirituality does seem to have a strong influence on him and the way he wants to manage his life.
That said, for some reason when I switched the radio off I thought to myself that there would be a good chance he could back to football in 2020, but it would be with another club. Reckon if he were to play again he would want to move into a new environment where he could challenge himself and help others come along for the ride.
Would prefer it were back at Richmond. It was just a sense I was left with after listening to him talk.
That’s how I see it too , and I’m also thinking he’d see the challenge in helping a freo or gc really climb the ladder more than step into another contender

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
In the old days this would be a distraction. The club now will roll on and not blink an eyelid. His salary is already being divided up amongst the players that would of been hard to re-sign otherwise.

Mappa

Tiger Superstar
Jul 3, 2009
Rance is retired ....... if he returns it will be with us...........to suggest he plays for someone else is pure invention on behalf of the listener

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Rance is retired ....... if he returns it will be with us...........to suggest he plays for someone else is pure invention on behalf of the listener

I agree, he is contracted to us for the next 2 years from memory, we would have to release him from the contract.

DS

Tigeronprowl

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dec 30, 2002
This quote from Rance tells me that if he ever plays at all it will be with us. It will have to be this year though as i believe the club wont take him back next year due to his age, time away from the game and the fact we will have all drafting plans and contract negotiations in place to go forward without him.

"I know that if I go back to playing for Richmond I am going to love it so much and it is going to consume my life and my balance is going to go out again so I am happy where I am at."

Tigeronprowl

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dec 30, 2002
This quote from Rance tells me that if he ever plays at all it will be with us. It will have to be this year though as i believe the club wont take him back next year due to his age, time away from the game and the fact we will have all drafting plans and contract negotiations in place to go forward without him.

"I know that if I go back to playing for Richmond I am going to love it so much and it is going to consume my life and my balance is going to go out again so I am happy where I am at."