Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Premiership player
5 time All Australian (incl. Captain)
One of, if not the best defender of a generation.
Contracted to Tigers for 2021.

If he wants to be traded next year we MUST demand a first round pick, or NO DEAL.

31 years old, hasn't played for two years, coming off a knee reconstruction.

Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Yeah but you won't get a first rounder for a guy who hasn't played in two years, whoever he is.
Rance is a magnificent specimen. Who knows, he could play good footy for another 3 - 4 years. I'd hate for him to be suddenly playing top footy against us and we gave him away for virtually nothing.

My point is that we do need to be firmer at trade negotiations. We give blokes away too cheaply. My open would be "we want your first and second round picks"". Then let's see where that goes.

If Footscray (or any club) think he's worth getting then he's worth something to them.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Rance is a magnificent specimen. Who knows, he could play good footy for another 3 - 4 years. I'd hate for him to be suddenly playing top footy against us and we gave him away for virtually nothing.

My point is that we do need to be firmer at trade negotiations. We give blokes away too cheaply. My open would be "we want your first and second round picks"". Then let's see where that goes.

If Footscray (or any club) think he's worth getting then he's worth something to them.

Yeah, I understand the argument QD. I don't think ambit claims fool anyone these days, but I'm not an AFL trader.

Reactions: 1 user

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Yeah, I understand the argument QD. I don't think ambit claims fool anyone these days, but I'm not an AFL trader.
True. And I'd hate to see Richmond as despised at the trade table as Dodo/Essendrugs.

In the case of Rance though, he's been a once in a generation player, and if somebody wants him bad enough and pay a good price, ""leave your money on the fridge".
;)

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
The fascinating thing about a possible Rance trade that is different from our recent trading of depth players is whether Rance will command some sort of bidding war. If he's set on the Scraggers it might be a redundant thought, but imagine 3-4 clubs lining up for him. I reckon a first rounder could be in the offing in that scenario.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I think I have missed something here. I wasn't aware of the Footscray link. Seems contrary to Rancey's earlier thoughts.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not sure that follows, ant.

Sam Docherty missed pretty much two years and is flying.

But I do reckon Rance's age is a factor.

Oh, he could come back and have two great years with whoever, no doubt. But this is the thing - it's risk management. Age, injury, two years out of the system, questions over the departure from the playing group at Richmond. Against that, a champion who is also an obsessed fitness freak and workaholic.

My bet is no-one will give up a first rounder for Rance, I'll be wrapt if the team got a deal like that done though.

On Butts and Lloyd - fringe players who didn't have great years prior to their departure - Lloyd had a good year last year and Butts has started great at St Kilda, but could have been a different story for either. Clubs will always balance potential gain against potential non-performance. If you can only get a second rounder as compo for Ellis - dual premiership player who played nearly all games and finals since 2017, then you are not going to get second rounders for Butts or Lloyd. Sorry, that's the reality.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Rance will ge the same as the Saint Stephens - damaged goods so worth bugger all

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
If you can only get a second rounder as compo for Ellis - dual premiership player who played nearly all games and finals since 2017, then you are not going to get second rounders for Butts or Lloyd.
Surely you're not using the farcical Ellis compensation as an exemplar for fairness and worth? That decision was beyond a joke, much like it was with Franklin (pick 19/unders), Frawley (pick 3/gross overs), Sylvia (pick 23/overs) and Motlop (pick 19/shocking overs).

For the record, at the time I thought Lloyd was third-round material and Butler was second-round material.
My bet is no-one will give up a first rounder for Rance, I'll be wrapt if the team got a deal like that done though.
With Rance, I reckon you could narrow his suitors down to those in the premiership window or those looking for an injection of winning culture. There may be enough of them to create some sort of a contest for his services... let's hope so.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Surely you're not using the farcical Ellis compensation as an exemplar for fairness and worth? That decision was beyond a joke, much like it was with Franklin (pick 19/unders), Frawley (pick 3/gross overs), Sylvia (pick 23/overs) and Motlop (pick 19/shocking overs).

For the record, at the time I thought Lloyd was third-round material and Butler was second-round material.

With Rance, I reckon you could narrow his suitors down to those in the premiership window or those looking for an injection of winning culture. There may be enough of them to create some sort of a contest for his services... let's hope so.

Yeah, using it as an example. Compo picks are a lottery for sure, agree on that.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Just spoke to him.
It's Footscray or Footscray.
He loves Bevo and Simon Beasley.
He thinks he can fit nicely next to Donald Bradman in the backline.
He hates Jack's Guts.
And he reckons Tigers play to rough.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Yeah i'd try and get something decent for him, if not let him walk to the open market. Loved the bloke but he left us over a rift apparently so, I'm a tigers supporter, not a rance supporter.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Starting to feel his absence.

Off field maybe but on field right now he'd make no difference we are being slaughtered in the middle and forward thirds.

As great as he was on field I think Rances biggest influence was off field around the club, he provided a lot of the buzz and energy around the place and the levity with his clown antics.

Those guys can be irreplaceable.

Reactions: 2 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Rance won't play for RFC again. The players have seen and will continue to see to that.
Rance transgressed the "Richmond Man" ethos in too serious a way for him to be accepted back by the current playing list.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Rance won't play for RFC again. The players have seen and will continue to see to that.
Rance transgressed the "Richmond Man" ethos in too serious a way for him to be accepted back by the current playing list.
I have not the slightest idea of any such transgression.