Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Anytime we veer into politics on this forum Jack, and it seems to be a regular occurrence these days, I take a deep breath and try to keep things practical.

Those who deal in binary social and political discussion kind of bore me. Emotional / primal bias shows a lack of real intellect. A bit like that discussion on another thread where some argue men are hardwired to have sex with anything that moves while others say blokes can and should be better than that.

I'd like to think we've evolved enough as a species to apply a level of decency and respect to all whom we encounter. As an optimist, I think, in general, we manage to do that, especially here in Victoria.

I love footy, Jack. Not sure when it bit me but I remember dreading going to primary school on a Monday after we'd been towelled up by the Bombers or the Blues or, Heaven forbid, the Magpies. Horrible days.

I know it's a sport here in Victoria to give the AFL a whack. Probably stems back to the likes of Wayne Jackson (can't trust those South Australians), Ian Collins (actually a bit of a prick) and Ross Oakley (RIP Fitzroy). But the efforts of AFL House to get the 2020 season up and running, and to manage a fair competition with no asterisk over the premiership, deserves kudos. I think the place is, essentially, full of good eggs.

Cheap shots at the AFL are a bit tedious. No, the AFL is not beyond scrutiny. Of course it's not. But you'd have to be pretty cynical not to admire a well run competition that engrosses a nation year in, year out.

But back to the essence of your conundrum.

I had a long career in advertising that stretched from the 1980s until recently. Long lunches with media players were often illuminating (if you could remember them).

One time I had a national client who wanted to cancel their advertising on 3AW. It was, the marketing manager said, because every time someone rang into the station they would spout conservative nonsense that, in his opinion, was not aligned with the values of his business.

At one lunch, I spoke to 3AW about our client's concerns and learned a valuable lesson: "Hah, common knowledge that less than 5% of radio listeners bother to pick up the phone and dial in. Not even remotely representative of our audience or the broader community. But it makes for good radio."

So much of the anti social noise we hear today is generated by a handful of humourless losers looking for attention.

Our local Auskick, which our youngest boy attends, is awash with girls and kids of every cultural and religious background.

If white bread Aussies have an issue with 'diversity' and 'inclusion' today, they'll shrivel up like prunes in the sun with what tomorrow's footy will look like.

Tough titties to them. It's unstoppable because it's what we are as a nation. I don't think negotiation is required ... what will be will be!
Awesome post, 8. We're all in this together. Better get used to it.

My 2 cents.

The AFL did a brilliant job in getting the 2020 season completed.
That said, they still suck.
Couldn't care less about Jackson, Oakley or polo boy.
Constant rule changes (generally without any serious analysis or trialing)
Match Review Clown makes knee jerk charges based on media hyperbole
Draw seems less than equitable
Don't start me on umpiring

Other than my beefs with the AFL, support your post 100% brother. Keep up the good work :cool:

Reactions: 6 users
How do you rationalise claims of 'inclusion' with the AFL recently revising its gender policy in order to exclude Hannah Mouncey from playing first grade in the ACT, where she has played previously?
Haven't actually followed the Mouncey matter, Lee. From afar it seems complex?

The only thing I can offer is that I saw a picture of her the other day and she looked significantly bigger than the other players in the frame. But then it's also fair to say Lance Franklin is much bigger than Liam Baker.

I assume Mouncey is not excluded from playing football altogether?

I assume Mouncey is not excluded from playing football altogether?
She can play reserves grade but not first grade (where she has played previously).

Interesting Biden has already rammed through an edict that says if a sporting organisation receives federal funding, it can't stand in the way of the Mounceys of this world.

Locked in: Richmond premiership legend Alex Rance to play footy in WA (paywalled)​

Richmond premiership star Alex Rance is locked in for his footy comeback in WA this year, pending border restrictions.

The five-time All-Australian will play back-to-back matches for Perth Football League C2-Grade outfit Swan Valley in rounds four and five, scheduled for May 1 and 8.

It will be a massive boost for the competition, which celebrates its centenary this year.

The 31-year-old has a link with the club through cousin and close mate David Ellard, who recently signed as playing-coach.

The Melbourne-based Rance is hopeful of playing the minimum amount of games required to qualify for finals, which is five in a full 18-round season.

He plans to make up the rest of the games later in the season.

Ellard, who played 63 AFL matches with Carlton to go with 38 in the WAFL, retired from Swan Districts at the end of 2019.

He returned to his junior club, adding a wealth of experience.

Fellow former WAFL player Mathew Aitchison has also signed in a playing and development coach role.

Ellard and Rance remain close and have long talked about playing together for the first time since their Swan Districts colts days more than a decade ago, when their super team won the 2007 premiership.

That team also featured Nic Naitanui, Michael Walters, Clancee Pearce, Lewis Jetta, Neville Jetta, Jeff Garlett and Chris Yarran, thrashing Claremont by 64 points in the decider at Subiaco Oval.

Rance, one of the game’s greatest modern-day defenders, played the last of his 200 AFL games in the opening round of 2019 against Carlton, when he sustained a season-ending knee injury.

He announced his shock retirement in December that year and hasn’t played at any level since.

The Perth Football League is planning to return to a full season after last year’s shortened nine-round competition due to coronavirus.

The opening round of the season is set for April 10, while the grand final days will be on September 4 (women’s), September 11 (B-E Grade) and September 18 (A Grade).

Rance won’t be the only big-name player running around this year with former Western Bulldogs defender Ryan Hargrave signing with Gosnells and ex-Essendon swingman Kyle Hardingham taking over as playing-coach at his junior club Bullcreek-Leeming.

Reactions: 1 user
Stacks of ex AFL blokes go back to local footy to play with mates, incredibly standard move.
From that perspective yes.

I guess I naively bought into the chatter about it being some sort of stepping stone back to the AFL.

If Hannah/Calum Mouncey wants to play football why doesn't she play against the men like he used to do when he was younger.

He was a brute of a cricketer putting one player in hospital and having another player retired hurt in one spell of bowling as a 17 year old.

He was also capable of playing against men as a junior such was his build at that age.

Callum grew up with all the benefits that testosterone brings to build a large male frame it is unfair for Hannah now to take hormone tablets to lower her testosterone

and play against women.

If Hannah/Calum Mouncey wants to play football why doesn't she play against the men like he used to do when he was younger.

He was a brute of a cricketer putting one player in hospital and having another player retired hurt in one spell of bowling as a 17 year old.

He was also capable of playing against men as a junior such was his build at that age.

Callum grew up with all the benefits that testosterone brings to build a large male frame it is unfair for Hannah now to take hormone tablets to lower her testosterone and play against women.
Maybe there's a US sport she can play.

Reactions: 1 user
I reckon Rance would be as flat as a biscuit to be compared to those two.
Standard media procedure. Anyone who's ever pulled on a jumper at AFL level is instantly a big name player. Evolve further to the competence level of having actually played a good game n it's superstar guaranteed.

Standard media procedure. Anyone who's ever pulled on a jumper at AFL level is instantly a big name player. Evolve further to the competence level of having actually played a good game n it's superstar guaranteed.
Apparently he is training the house down.

Just on the superstar that was Alex Rance , it’s still hard to fathom that we would lose him and still be able to win the next 2 flags

Reactions: 2 users
Just on the superstar that was Alex Rance , it’s still hard to fathom that we would lose him and still be able to win the next 2 flags
Nobody even noticed he was missing. That's the advantage of having 21 scrubbers in the team playing uncontrolled chaos footy plus a Dusty one to add a modicum of polish.
We lose a Nank a Shedda, Presty, Bash, Grub, *smile* or a Tross n Cotch. No-one notices, we just fill the holes with more nuffers n scrubbers n let the Dusty one save us.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users