Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Bring back Torney
Could play Jase Torney.

Was one of the group of youngsters the Tigers had drafted in and around that 93, 94, 95 era with Merenda, Tape, Rogers.
Some good juniors we added to Butch Gale, Leon Cameron and Paul Broderick that lifted the club from 94 to 2001.

I liked him became a really good player for the Tigers off HB really developed well ...... then Spud let him go back to SA ......................

Was the best to wear the #29 since the great KB but has since been surpassed by a lad named Bolton that may very well become one of the best talents ever to play for the RFC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Could play Jase Torney.

Was one of the group of youngsters the Tigers had drafted in and around that 93, 94, 95 era with Merenda, Tape, Rogers.
Some good juniors we added to Butch Gale, Leon Cameron and Paul Broderick that lifted the club from 94 to 2001.

I liked him became a really good player for the Tigers off HB really developed well ...... then Spud let him go back to SA ......................

Was the best to wear the #29 since the great KB but has since been surpassed by a lad named Bolton that may very well become one of the best talents ever to play for the RFC.

yeah Torney was good. Stood up in the final we lost to the Lions at the Gabba - I was there.

Could play Jase Torney.

Todd Menagola was ok in 29.
He was my neighbour too

No. The AFL is a model of inclusivity. If Houli can manage to meet the demands of his religion and still play, so can (and has) Rance. If his religion is so imposing that it doesn't allow him to play professional football, that's a bummer - but entirely of his own doing.
The AFL is the most exclusive of environments. They are a typical left wing organisation like Uni’s. They crap on how “diverse” they are but the only true diversity is the diversity of thought. If you don’t sprout the approved thoughts you are unwelcome at the AFL.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
The AFL is the most exclusive of environments. They are a typical left wing organisation like Uni’s. They crap on how “diverse” they are but the only true diversity is the diversity of thought. If you don’t sprout the approved thoughts you are unwelcome at the AFL.
It's the 'no dickheads' policy. Not for everyone I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Just don't think that's a fair judgement, Ghost.

The AFL would have to be among the most pragmatic of organisations. It needs to appeal to the widest possible audience, and it wouldn't do that if it had niche values.

But also remember it is a not-for-profit organisation that pays no tax so relies on broad-based goodwill for continued government and community support.

I find the labels 'left', 'right' and 'centrist' lazy and unhelpful but, if any of them applied to the AFL, it would be 'centrist'. And, even then, that's such a subjective classification because what's considered centrist in Australia would be wildly different to what's considered centrist in China, Cuba, Russia or Bolivia.

The AFL would be disappointed if even one minority group didn't feel comfortable playing or supporting its game.

I reckon most people are good with that.

Reactions: 3 users
The AFL leans strongly left and makes no attempt to hide it. All the way with Sleepy J.

17CaWC16MW0097.jpg

It doesn't mean they don't love money.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Gill is clearly leaning to his right

Also if Trump was there he would have eaten the ball and taken a dump into his Depends

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Gill is clearly leaning to his right

Also if Trump was there he would have eaten the ball and taken a dump into his Depends
Pffft. Trump would've said "So you're playing games in China..." and Gil would've looked sick and turned his head away and down at an unnatural angle and had a quick snort from his shirt pocket to recover.

Pffft. Trump would've said "So you're playing games in China..." and Gil would've looked sick and turned his head away and down at an unnatural angle and had a quick snort from his shirt pocket to recover.

yeh, except trump and his family are famous for all the business they did in China. Trump loves China. And we won't mention that he endorsed the One China policy the day after he got the Trump trademark approved for the Chinese market.

Anyway, that Alex Rance was a hell of a player.

Just don't think that's a fair judgement, Ghost.

The AFL would have to be among the most pragmatic of organisations. It needs to appeal to the widest possible audience, and it wouldn't do that if it had niche values.

But also remember it is a not-for-profit organisation that pays no tax so relies on broad-based goodwill for continued government and community support.

I find the labels 'left', 'right' and 'centrist' lazy and unhelpful but, if any of them applied to the AFL, it would be 'centrist'. And, even then, that's such a subjective classification because what's considered centrist in Australia would be wildly different to what's considered centrist in China, Cuba, Russia or Bolivia.

The AFL would be disappointed if even one minority group didn't feel comfortable playing or supporting its game.

I reckon most people are good with that.

The AFL is largely supported in the state of Victoria. I like Victoria, 8, but I'm lonely.

Not to overlook my admiration of your post. How do we quantify support of this? How do we negotiate with those who don't support this?

The AFL is largely supported in the state of Victoria. I like Victoria, 8, but I'm lonely.

Not to overlook my admiration of your post. How do we quantify support of this? How do we negotiate with those who don't support this?
Anytime we veer into politics on this forum Jack, and it seems to be a regular occurrence these days, I take a deep breath and try to keep things practical.

Those who deal in binary social and political discussion kind of bore me. Emotional / primal bias shows a lack of real intellect. A bit like that discussion on another thread where some argue men are hardwired to have sex with anything that moves while others say blokes can and should be better than that.

I'd like to think we've evolved enough as a species to apply a level of decency and respect to all whom we encounter. As an optimist, I think, in general, we manage to do that, especially here in Victoria.

I love footy, Jack. Not sure when it bit me but I remember dreading going to primary school on a Monday after we'd been towelled up by the Bombers or the Blues or, Heaven forbid, the Magpies. Horrible days.

I know it's a sport here in Victoria to give the AFL a whack. Probably stems back to the likes of Wayne Jackson (can't trust those South Australians), Ian Collins (actually a bit of a prick) and Ross Oakley (RIP Fitzroy). But the efforts of AFL House to get the 2020 season up and running, and to manage a fair competition with no asterisk over the premiership, deserves kudos. I think the place is, essentially, full of good eggs.

Cheap shots at the AFL are a bit tedious. No, the AFL is not beyond scrutiny. Of course it's not. But you'd have to be pretty cynical not to admire a well run competition that engrosses a nation year in, year out.

But back to the essence of your conundrum.

I had a long career in advertising that stretched from the 1980s until recently. Long lunches with media players were often illuminating (if you could remember them).

One time I had a national client who wanted to cancel their advertising on 3AW. It was, the marketing manager said, because every time someone rang into the station they would spout conservative nonsense that, in his opinion, was not aligned with the values of his business.

At one lunch, I spoke to 3AW about our client's concerns and learned a valuable lesson: "Hah, common knowledge that less than 5% of radio listeners bother to pick up the phone and dial in. Not even remotely representative of our audience or the broader community. But it makes for good radio."

So much of the anti social noise we hear today is generated by a handful of humourless losers looking for attention.

Our local Auskick, which our youngest boy attends, is awash with girls and kids of every cultural and religious background.

If white bread Aussies have an issue with 'diversity' and 'inclusion' today, they'll shrivel up like prunes in the sun with what tomorrow's footy will look like.

Tough titties to them. It's unstoppable because it's what we are as a nation. I don't think negotiation is required ... what will be will be!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
What is all this to do with Rancey I thought he was locked in Fortress WA and his passport probably expired?

Anytime we veer into politics on this forum Jack, and it seems to be a regular occurrence these days, I take a deep breath and try to keep things practical.

Those who deal in binary social and political discussion kind of bore me. Emotional / primal bias shows a lack of real intellect. A bit like that discussion on another thread where some argue men are hardwired to have sex with anything that moves while others say blokes can and should be better than that.

I'd like to think we've evolved enough as a species to apply a level of decency and respect to all whom we encounter. As an optimist, I think, in general, we manage to do that, especially here in Victoria.

I love footy, Jack. Not sure when it bit me but I remember dreading going to primary school on a Monday after we'd been towelled up by the Bombers or the Blues or, Heaven forbid, the Magpies. Horrible days.

I know it's a sport here in Victoria to give the AFL a whack. Probably stems back to the likes of Wayne Jackson (can't trust those South Australians), Ian Collins (actually a bit of a prick) and Ross Oakley (RIP Fitzroy). But the efforts of AFL House to get the 2020 season up and running, and to manage a fair competition with no asterisk over the premiership, deserves kudos. I think the place is, essentially, full of good eggs.

Cheap shots at the AFL are a bit tedious. No, the AFL is not beyond scrutiny. Of course it's not. But you'd have to be pretty cynical not to admire a well run competition that engrosses a nation year in, year out.

But back to the essence of your conundrum.

I had a long career in advertising that stretched from the 1980s until recently. Long lunches with media players were often illuminating (if you could remember them).

One time I had a national client who wanted to cancel their advertising on 3AW. It was, the marketing manager said, because every time someone rang into the station they would spout conservative nonsense that, in his opinion, was not aligned with the values of his business.

At one lunch, I spoke to 3AW about our client's concerns and learned a valuable lesson: "Hah, common knowledge that less than 5% of radio listeners bother to pick up the phone and dial in. Not even remotely representative of our audience or the broader community. But it makes for good radio."

So much of the anti social noise we hear today is generated by a handful of humourless losers looking for attention.

Our local Auskick, which our youngest boy attends, is awash with girls and kids of every cultural and religious background.

If white bread Aussies have an issue with 'diversity' and 'inclusion' today, they'll shrivel up like prunes in the sun with what tomorrow's footy will look like.

Tough titties to them. It's unstoppable because it's what we are as a nation. I don't think negotiation is required ... what will be will be!

Bravo!!!

I had a long career in advertising

I agreed with most of it except this bit :cool:

I think The AFL did an astronomical job facilitating our 13th premiership,

but my ceasefire expired 12pm Oct 24 2020.

• Haha