Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Hope he enjoys his new role in whatever capacity.
Is and always will be a Tiger champion, premiership one at that.
Jeez he was good..

Reactions: 6 users
Hope he enjoys his new role in whatever capacity.
Is and always will be a Tiger champion, premiership one at that.
Jeez he was good..
Yes, he was a champion.
It's sad that after giving us so many years of fantastic service, he's was only able to play in the 1 premiership side.

Two years out of the big league at 31 /32 with no footy played means the game could well have passed him by and whilst he would do a good showing in amateur footy it would be a big ask to see the old Rance back in pro footy.

Reactions: 1 user
Lockett couldnt make it after a year out of the game.
At best Rance being another Mal Michael job.. playing for the money

Cool. When you said not welcome I took that to mean you had some issue with him leaving in the first place.

I agree, too long out of the game now I think. Add Wayne Carey to your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Cool. When you said not welcome I took that to mean you had some issue with him leaving in the first place.

I agree, too long out of the game now I think. Add Wayne Carey to your list.
As much as i don't want to see Rance in a rival gurnsey, i think his situation is a little different to the likes of Lockett, Carey and Michael.

All of those guys were physically going over the edge when they returned. Rance is an athletic freak and at 31 would still have most vocered for agility and speed at 33 or 34. It was very different for the before mentioned examples.

Reactions: 1 users
As much as i don't want to see Rance in a rival gurnsey, i think his situation is a little different to the likes of Lockett, Carey and Michael.

All of those guys were physically going over the edge when they returned. Rance is an athletic freak and at 31 would still have most vocered for agility and speed at 33 or 34. It was very different for the before mentioned examples.

I understand your logic Frickers, just seems like a long shot to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Rance back.

2 years out of footy post ACL injury. Sounds like a long way back.

I have little doubt if the great man came back and applied himself he would be a top line defender for a few years, given the right preparation. In saying this there has been nothing other than clickbait that remotely looks like he’s interested in returning so other than discussing the mans greatness we shouldn’t be sucked in by herald sun journs.......

I won’t give up hope of Rance returning until he’s 37.

At that stage, I’ll only be hoping he returns as a player-coach until he’s about 40.

I might give up hope after that.

On a serious note, I’d love to genuinely understand why his religion is incompatible with a playing career in the AFL. By extension, perhaps the AFL isn’t inclusive enough.

As it stands, Rance’s retirement exposes the AFL (and/or the JW religion) as a model of social exclusion.

Can’t one of them change? Religions aren’t often expected to alter their core beliefs to suit society. Meanwhile, the AFL changes every year.

Does the AFL need to change to be more inclusive to JWs?

Last edited:
Playing enough games of local footy to qualify for finals doesn't scream ambition for the mid season draft.

I couldn’t find anything that suggests Alex indicated a desire to play finals for them, so I attempted to filter out the spinful clickbaitiness of that article to pick out (and infer) the facts:

- Alex’s cousin David Ellard is the new player-coach of Swan Valley.

- David Ellard told someone else at the club he’s hoping that maybe he can get Alex to play a game or two.

- The person he told understandably got excited and imagined some great things possibly happening to the club.

- Someone in the media was able to get this person to chat about these possibilities (possibly without the person realising it could end up in the paper in this manor).

- The innocent person told the scrupulous reporter it would be great if Alex could play a couple of games with them because he’d help them attract a large crowd, so it would make sense for him to play home games.

- the innocent person also told the scrupulous reporter something to the effect of “but you have to play 5 games to qualify for finals... this doesn’t fit with what Alex wants to do, but gee, it would really help the club if 2-3 games somehow became 5. Who knows, maybe it sparks something and we‘re able to rally and move up a division?“

If this interpretation is less accurate than the vibe of the original article, I’ll buy a hat so I can eat my hat.

Last edited:
50 bucks Footscary and Essendon pick him up in the mid year draft..not welcome back at punt rd
Interesting, according to Konrads new book he was involved in doing some stuff during our 2020 season.

What would he know though ?

Zips with the good mail again

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
As it stands, Rance’s retirement exposes the AFL (and/or the JW religion) as a model of social exclusion.

Can’t one of them change? Religions aren’t often expected to alter their core beliefs to suit society. Meanwhile, the AFL changes every year.

Does the AFL need to change to be more inclusive to JWs?
No. The AFL is a model of inclusivity. If Houli can manage to meet the demands of his religion and still play, so can (and has) Rance. If his religion is so imposing that it doesn't allow him to play professional football, that's a bummer - but entirely of his own doing.

Reactions: 4 users