Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Reminds me of when I came home to find Dustin giving Mrs TBR a seeing to on the kitchen floor.

"Jesus Christ love, arch your back a bit, can't have him getting a chill in the plums from those cold tiles!".
As an unabashed umpire lover, I’m surprised you didn’t call for a 3

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Your dreaming you seen Langford, Leppa, Scarlett ,Fletcher Glen Jackovich all have Rance covered.

I got no beef against Rance I respect him as a Richmond champion, but a few here take of your blinkers.
You're basically just Trolling now.

Langford, Leppa, Jackovich, fletcher not in the same class. Scarlett and Silvagni probably his only rivals since I've been alive.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Langford, Leppa, Jackovich, fletcher not in the same class. Scarlett and Silvagni probably his only rivals since I've been alive.
Leppa and Jakovich were CHB's not FBs.

Mal Michael and Ash McIntosh were the other halves at FB for Leppa and Jako and also both guns themselves.

Two of the best Key Defensive duos of the modern era right there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
We all mostly loved Sir Alex. It's a tad sad to think he would play with another team. A true tiger legend in my eyes

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Why cant he play VFL for us we've got no one either?

Is he really unwelcome back at Punt Road, did he really leave on bad terms for other nefarious reasons or did he snatch it because he wasnt picked for the GF?

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
If he came back home to the mighty tiges he would be under massive pressure to be Alex Rance of the past. It would be all about him from the outside world rather than the team. Terrible idea.
He's doing the right thing. Hit out with another team with quite different expectations avoiding all the emotional baggage. Hope he has a great time despite the fact I hate Essendon and wish them a miserable future.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I don't see Alex ever coming back to AFL level with any side and he plays a one off VFL game for being in the right place at the right time when someone was needed

Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Your dreaming you seen Langford, Leppa, Scarlett ,Fletcher Glen Jackovich all have Rance covered.

I got no beef against Rance I respect him as a Richmond champion, but a few here take of your blinkers.

Yep seen them all and more. None of those you name had the ability of Alex to negate his opponent then importantly support his teammates. His ability to turn an opposition forward entry back our way is what sets him apart for everyone you mention.

Best you wake yourself up from your dreamland Daniel.

Reactions: 2 users

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
When we were *smile*, to pass the time I'd often focus on a player to observe how they read the game. Don't remember ever seeing a defender who could read the game like Rance could in his later years. It was like he had already seen what was going to happen in the next 5 seconds before it actually happened and so off he'd go, running off his man to fill a space or make a contest which would often eventuate 5 seconds later. Through the roof anticipation skills.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

I've always thought that SOS was overrated, Southby & Dench were way better.
SOS got away with so much holding & scragging it was ridiculous, if his name was Fred Nerk & played for footscray or any other lowly team at the time he would have been penalised consistently.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
When we were *smile*, to pass the time I'd often focus on a player to observe how they read the game. Don't remember ever seeing a defender who could read the game like Rance could in his later years. It was like he had already seen what was going to happen in the next 5 seconds before it actually happened and so off he'd go, running off his man to fill a space or make a contest which would often eventuate 5 seconds later. Through the roof anticipation skills.
Totally agree with your praise for Rancey - and the point about his great ability to read the game.

I do remember though in his early days it was his awareness that was actually lacking. I still have images of him at times doing everything right to win the ball and having time to look upfield - but then being tackled from behind because he didn't realise who else was around him. Clearly this was something that he worked on over the years to the point where he's undoubtedly a dead set Tiger champion and legend.

BTW - it's the fact that Rance was able to improve so much in that part of his game that convinces me that Balta may well do the same in his own game. And won't that be something to look forward to!

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
BTW - it's the fact that Rance was able to improve so much in that part of his game that convinces me that Balta may well do the same in his own game. And won't that be something to look forward to!
The two coaches most responsible for Rance’s transformation, have since left the club.
Let’s hope Grimes and Astbury can pass on the lessons.
Rance was also the hardest, most fastidious and disciplined trainer at the club.