Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
He quite obviously loved the club while a player. He was also deeply committed when helping team mates at both AFL and VFL level, during his period out with injury. Will be great at Essendon and would have been great with us.
Our failure here enormous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
he is a different Alex Rance who play for us as a player............totally different person now .........a .very part time person trying to develop into a part time line coach............for the bummers .............good luck Alex .all the best .you will need it

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Questions need to be asked why we havent been able to get some of these ex-players back to the club. Grigg and now Rance.
Because he still has team mates at the club and it's not a good idea to become a coach while they are still there. I think Dimma has been quoted to say they should go and explore, learn from other clubs and expand their horizons and skills.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Because he still has team mates at the club and it's not a good idea to become a coach while they are still there. I think Dimma has been quoted to say they should go and explore, learn from other clubs and expand their horizons and skills.
I agree with this. I was promoted in a team that had a bunch of my mates. Was very difficult learning the balance necessary to discipline and develop them.
As always, great players don't necessarily guarantee great coaches. Whilst there's been positive feedback about Rance in 2019, it'll be different when it's his job and there's expectations to come from it.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Questions need to be asked why we havent been able to get some of these ex-players back to the club. Grigg and now Rance.
Cotchin is the one I want. Like Maric, and Morris (at VFL level), he drove the culture change as a leader. He is the one we need to keep at the club.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I can only assume focussing on his religion and family wasn't much chop?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I agree with this. I was promoted in a team that had a bunch of my mates. Was very difficult learning the balance necessary to discipline and develop them.
As always, great players don't necessarily guarantee great coaches. Whilst there's been positive feedback about Rance in 2019, it'll be different when it's his job and there's expectations to come from it.
Have to disagree. Captains across the league and others our Jack included, are involved in match day efforts to shape the way team mates are contributing. The idea that a coach has to be remote and ruthless belongs to an earlier time.
If the player and coach are able to communicate without ripping each others heads off there is no earthly reason why a recent retiree as a player, should be at a disadvantage as a coach.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
isn't this old news?
he was going there after playing the reserves game right ? there were "discussions" happening ?

tommystigers

Oct 6, 2004
According to Dimma Alex is "a very different cat". He would have had a good look at him in a development role during 2019. Alex would have made his own choice and unlikely to be swayed by advances from Richmond if he had no feeling to come back in a support role.

Also it is surprising to me that so many are mourning his loss to the club when so many were sinking the boots into him regarding his religion and personal choice to retire. Some of the slop on the Rance threads around the time of his retirement is disgraceful.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Just about every coaching appointment like this is to another club.
He is close to truck Rutten who btw came to is immediately after retiring from the crows .

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Yep. No different to Grigg. We don’t want to get so insular that we only hire ‘Richmond men’ despite what the romantics may want.

Reactions: 10 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Agree with all that.
But why Essendrugs? Out of all clubs why these drug taking losers?
Alex has soiled his name.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
According to Dimma Alex is "a very different cat". He would have had a good look at him in a development role during 2019. Alex would have made his own choice and unlikely to be swayed by advances from Richmond if he had no feeling to come back in a support role.

Also it is surprising to me that so many are mourning his loss to the club when so many were sinking the boots into him regarding his religion and personal choice to retire. Some of the slop on the Rance threads around the time of his retirement is disgraceful.
This move was on the cards after Alex played that one game earlier this year, which indicated at least an interest on his part
That should at least have put us on notice. Letting him slip by was a mistake in a year in which a few have been made.

tommystigers

Oct 6, 2004
This move was on the cards after Alex played that one game earlier this year, which indicated at least an interest on his part
That should at least have put us on notice. Letting him slip by was a mistake in a year in which a few have been made.
I can see that Momentous. However, Alex does what Alex does. He may not have wanted to come back to the club. Did Richmond reach out to him? I don't know. I am not sure that Richmond didn't try to get him back to play after his retirement. Certainly IIRC the club never said definitively that it was an impossibility. I think the door was left open.