America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate)

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Re: America, will they ever learn?

tigersnake said:
Its not about guts, its about choices related to lifestyle, culture and resources. Stuff the terrorists, I won't live in fear and have money sucked out of hospitals and schools for increased security.

That East West billion would've come in handy.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
That East West billion would've come in handy.

yep, we should be suing the Libs for blatantly (and probably corruptly) wasting our money signing contracts for no reasons other than to feed their mates.

on the shooter as i posted in another thread, the killer linked himself to numerous terrorist groups, including one fighting isis.

and on gay hatred here, it was recently the anniversary (maybe 40th) of violent attacks by police on gays in Sydney. i dont think any cops were ever prosecuted and im pretty sure some of them worked there way up through the ranks and only recently retired form the force.
in parts of australia fear of gays is a legal defence for attacking them.
homophobia is rife in Australia. fortunately we dont have a gun culture that encourages that who hate to commit massacres.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Q1. What religion are Tasmanians?
Q2. When was the last conviction for homosexuality in Tasmania? It's illegal to be in possession of more than 50kg of potatoes in WA, but I doubt anyone's been prosecuted for a long time (if ever).

What religion are Americans, Iranians? The law was based on Christian society and values.

And just to set the scene: The last man to hang for sodomy in the British Empire was in Tasmania in 1867. In the subsequent hundred years Tasmania had the highest rate of imprisonment for private consenting male sex anywhere in the world.[2]

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

WesternTiger said:
What religion are Americans, Iranians? The law was based on Christian society and values.

And just to set the scene: The last man to hang for sodomy in the British Empire was in Tasmania in 1867. In the subsequent hundred years Tasmania had the highest rate of imprisonment for private consenting male sex anywhere in the world.[2]

Not sure what point you're trying to make. In hindsight slavery is evil but at the time it was perceived as a right. At the time gays were imprisoned, even they probably believed homosexuality was wrong.

You can't retrospectively apply modern values to eras past.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Brodders17 said:
yep, we should be suing the Libs for blatantly (and probably corruptly) wasting our money signing contracts for no reasons other than to feed their mates.

Absolute rubbish, Andrews used it to win the green vote and attain power, then put a match to the billion. He should be in jail, the economic vandal.

When this Muslim thing blows up in our faces, I'll hold you and the other do-gooders responsible.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Not sure what Tasmania has to do with the Orlando massacre.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

WesternTiger said:

I don't have evidence but I question your stats as I know of at least 4 cases of westerners being inprisoned in Dubai for being too physical in a public place and these were heterosexual couples so I would guess that the number of homosexuals being persecuted would be higher in these countries.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Absolute rubbish, Andrews used it to win the green vote and attain power, then put a match to the billion. He should be in jail, the economic vandal.

When this Muslim thing blows up in our faces, I'll hold you and the other do-gooders responsible.

Really - both re Andrews and Muslims

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Not sure what point you're trying to make. In hindsight slavery is evil but at the time it was perceived as a right. At the time gays were imprisoned, even they probably believed homosexuality was wrong.

You can't retrospectively apply modern values to eras past.

The point is (and getting back to my original post) Christian counties also persecute inCluding Australia up until recently (some would argue we still do in line with chistrian values). So yeah there are chistrian countries whose modern values only became modern in the past 20 years while there are others whose values are still in line with the Old Testament. Similarly there are Muslim countries that enforce sharia law while others have female presidents.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Security should be the #1 election issue here, but we're too gutless to discuss it.

Why on earth should that be the case? More Australians will die in the next 10 years as a result of mental health issues, domestic violence, severe weather events associate with climate change. Why shouldn't these be #1 election issue?

Even Obama knows the biggest risk to the American people is the availability of firearms and not terrorism and is happy to discuss it.

If this was a real issue in Australia the Libs and far right would be more than happy to push it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

WesternTiger said:
If this was a real issue in Australia the Libs and far right would be more than happy to push it.

The far right are keen to discuss it, the middle right are keen to discuss it. In case you haven't noticed, Turnbull is Labor Lite.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006

jb03 said:
I detest pretty much all religious ideology but Islam particularly. It has always puzzled me why, notably the left, are so defensive of a religion that is so oppressive to women, gays and other minorities.

The chicken or the egg question will be solved before this one, JB.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

different thread, but the majority of vics didnt want the EW link, and infrastructure victoria labelled it a low priority, despite the typical Hun shrill. The LIbs signed a contract knowing if they lost the election it would cost taxpayers money.

and i would respond the the 2nd line, but i have no idea what "When this Muslim thing blows up in our faces" means?? do you mean us recruiting one? or us allowing some to be in parliament? or allowing Muslims in the country (im not sure who was in gov in the mid 1800s when they started coming)?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

jb03 said:
I detest pretty much all religious ideology but Islam particularly. It has always puzzled me why, notably the left, are so defensive of a religion that is so oppressive to women, gays and other minorities.
You shouldn't mix up being defensive of those who practice Islam in a way that allows them to be part of a society and those who defend Islam as a religion. They are two different things.

To me everyone has the right to practice their religion as long as they do it peacefully and millions of muslims do that. Personally I think it is a load of garbage and there are many things I don't like about that religion including that it is so patriarchal. However I will defend the rights of those muslims who exercise their right to practice any religion they want from being labelled as something they aren't because of the actions of a lunatic minority.

I know plenty of muslims and apart the wearing of the headscarf by women (something I will never quite understand) I have never seen an enormous difference in their family dynamic from what I see in "western" families to be honest.

Defending them and their rights is totally different to defending the religion.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Brodders17 said:
and i would respond the the 2nd line, but i have no idea what "When this Muslim thing blows up in our faces" means?? do you mean us recruiting one? or us allowing some to be in parliament? or allowing Muslims in the country (im not sure who was in gov in the mid 1800s when they started coming)?

The soft political line. Continued Muslim intake in the face of the global extremism problem. It's suicidal.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Sintiger said:
You shouldn't mix up being defensive of those who practice Islam in a way that allows them to be part of a society and those who defend Islam as a religion. They are two different things.

To me everyone has the right to practice their religion as long as they do it peacefully and millions of muslims do that. Personally I think it is a load of garbage and there are many things I don't like about that religion including that it is so patriarchal. However I will defend the rights of those muslims who exercise their right to practice any religion they want from being labelled as something they aren't because of the actions of a lunatic minority.

I know plenty of muslims and apart the wearing of the headscarf by women (something I will never quite understand) I have never seen an enormous difference in their family dynamic from what I see in "western" families to be honest.

Defending them and their rights is totally different to defending the religion.

Yep the vast majority subscribe to a generally peaceful version of Islam, even if Islamic teaching dictates that non-Muslims/"kafirs" are lesser people.

How many extremists is too many? What price are you prepared to pay for the social experiment?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The soft political line. Continued Muslim intake in the face of the global extremism problem. It's suicidal.

Like I keep saying, I live near Newport mosque, and the fear of imminent death plagues me constantly.

When I go into the Lebanese fish and chip shop I'm half expecting to be beaten to death with a frozen snapper.

Somehow I've escaped the Jihad so far.

;D

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Yep the vast majority subscribe to a generally peaceful version of Islam, even if Islamic teaching dictates that non-Muslims/"kafirs" are lesser people.

How many extremists is too many? What price are you prepared to pay for the social experiment?
Not going to get into a discussion about what Islamic teaching says except to say also have a look at what the bible says. It's the interpretation that matters.
1. One extremist is too many, of any variety
2. I didn't know we were conducting a social experiment.
antman said:
Like I keep saying, I live near Newport mosque, and the fear of imminent death plagues me constantly.

When I go into the Lebanese fish and chip shop I'm half expecting to be beaten to death with a frozen snapper.

Somehow I've escaped the Jihad so far.
Yeah, I go to a lebanese greengrocer. They could stone me to death with a whole lot of lettuce leaves. Dangerous stuff

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Sintiger said:
Not going to get into a discussion about what Islamic teaching says except to say also have a look at what the bible says. It's the interpretation that matters.

Agree. But the Florida gunman didn't quote the Bible or swear allegiance to the Pope.

Nobody takes e.g. Leviticus seriously.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Agree. But the Florida gunman didn't quote the Bible, or claim "the Pope sent me".
I was replying to your comment about the islamic teaching about non-believers being lesser beings. My point is that all these "holy" texts have stuff in them which are not acceptable today and the vast majority of muslims, Christians and other religions don't take them literally.

Not sure why this prompted your comment about the Orlando shooter, I wasn't talking about that. My original post was about the difference between defending people's rights to practice a religion peacefully and defending a religion. You have changed the whole context of my post.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Sintiger said:
I was replying to your comment about the islamic teaching about non-believers being lesser beings. My point is that all these "holy" texts have stuff in them which are not acceptable today and the vast majority of muslims, Christians and other religions don't take them literally.

Not sure why this prompted your comment about the Orlando shooter, I wasn't talking about that. My original post was about the difference between defending people's rights to practice a religion peacefully and defending a religion. You have changed the whole context of my post.

I think you changed it around by saying don't worry about the Koran, what about the Bible?

For better or worse, Christianity has reformed over time whereas Islam remains constant.

The Bible calls for women who lose their virginity before marriage to be stoned to death in front their father's house, but it's Islam which condones so-called honour killing.

Anyway this is now a long way from the topic. Happy to drop it.