Andrew 'Mini' McQualter | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew 'Mini' McQualter

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Had no real time to stamp his ideas on the game so can't be hard on him but certainly hope to see something positive next week
Had enough time to check the weather before picking Riewoldt, Miller, Young and Ryan. Butchered it completely

Reactions: 1 user

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Actually we changed things up to quite a degree. Both before the game and then at quarter time to stop their run off half back. Miller just settled forward and bring the ball to ground (rather than Marlion or Noah trying that) we actually played a guy in the position and role that he trained all summer for. Port countered that by spoiling long and wide and having their crumbers take wider positions rather than at the foot of the pack. When we got the ball down at the feet we cleared more than not. We changed that in the 3rd and 4th to keep at least one player with depth so we could at time shark the long spoil.

A fair few tweaks such Marlion into the middle, Timmeh as the link mid at times, different pattern of defensive running (noticeable after half time) which started causing turnovers and created a few goals for us. That's about the 10% of changes you can make without making it too hard for the players to follow/adapt.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

rocsta75

Tiger Rookie
Sep 18, 2014
Only his first game, and it was a crazy week, but that was an underwhelming first crack. Absolutely nothing looked different. Actually feeling worse about the rest of the year now, if that was possible.
Problem is his whole coaching career has been under Hardwick. Needs experience from other clubs coaches etc

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Geebus there's some ridiculous posts on this thread.

Some of you blokes want McQualter to throw everything we've been doing out the door & come up with a whole new game plan. If he did that we would have Been smashed by 10 goals or more.

He's had the job for 6 days for goodness sakes, at least give the bloke some time to introduce his own ideas & implement whatever changes he thinks will help us.

If at the end of the season we're still in the same boat, by all means be critical
Believe it or not we can still make the finals, it'd be a monumental effort to do so but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: 16 users

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019

Some of you blokes want McQualter to throw everything we've been doing out the door & come up with a whole new game plan. If he did that we would have Been smashed by 10 goals or more.

He's had the job for 6 days for goodness sakes, at least give the bloke some time to introduce his own ideas & implement whatever changes he thinks will help us.

If at the end of the season we're still in the same boat, by all means be critical
Believe it or not we can still make the finals, it'd be a monumental effort to do so but stranger things have happened.
Spot on. And that was actually evident. A few tweaks and trying to get a structure that resembles training. I would expect more tweaks over the coming weeks. Port's run/workrate exceeded ours. We need more run, unfortunately apart from Sam Banks most of the options for that are injured.

Ohh and Rhyan's defensive running and forcing poorer options out of defense was significant. MJR might have been interesting in yesterday's game.

Reactions: 7 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010

I got no problems with that , but he could have started with personal changes not going for the same old and expecting different results.

Taking of Ryan was a mistake and giving the number 1 ruck role back to Nank has been a mistake last 2 weeks he should only take it if he needs a rest.

Come on finals we're living in fairyland the club needs to change it's mindset this year, which is all about development and getting games in kids who makes it and who doesn't. Sort of read that in Mini press conference to.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I got no problems with that , but he could have started with personal changes not going for the same old and expecting different results.

Taking of Ryan was a mistake and giving the number 1 ruck role back to Nank has been a mistake last 2 weeks he should only take it if he needs a rest.

Come on finals we're living in fairyland the club needs to change it's mindset this year, which is all about development and getting games in kids who makes it and who doesn't. Sort of read that in Mini press conference too.
Nanks had 22 touches yesterday and was in our best 4 players on the ground.
Not sure what game you watched but Samson would be lucky to get 10 possessions playing first ruck yesterday.

Reactions: 3 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Nanks had 22 touches yesterday and was in our best 4 players on the ground.
Not sure what game you watched but Samson would be lucky to get 10 possessions playing first ruck yesterday.
Those stats flattered him Finlayson was the the better still making silly errors and silly frees that kill us and not holding on to a marks. As I said Ryan needs a rest and happy for Nank to cover , but Ryan is the future.

Last edited:

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I reckon this bloke could do more damage then good.
I know the cupboard is bare but picking McQualter was a really poor choice.
Lambert or Rutten

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Deserves to be given at least 6 weeks by us fans for any changes he makes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He was yesterday benchmark. Not today's. We shouldn't look for the next Dimma. We should be looking for our next premiership coach.
We were *smile* when we found Dimma n he changed the game n became our triple premiership coach. More than happy for the club to find us another game changing triple premiership coach. Even If his name's not Dimma.

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
I'd like to see Bauer and Bradke given a go soon. For no other reason than if Jack is retiring and playing terrible.
It makes no sense to be playing Jack every week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Problem is his whole coaching career has been under Hardwick. Needs experience from other clubs coaches etc
Hardwick won 3 cups. Caracalla, Leppa, McRae and Kingsley as stablemates. Who else should he learn from? Give the bloke a go. He isn’t going to change things over night. I reckon we’ll see a few changes this week though.

Reactions: 3 users