Anzac Eve - Changes vs Melbourne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anzac Eve - Changes vs Melbourne

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Im all in on the "McAuliffe is the next Harley Reid" train, but he didn't do himself any favours last game. Just needed to do a bit more.

Might be a bit of a protection aspect to this. Melbourne have big bodies.
Why more? Basically his first game, did no less than Dow. Guess it had to be one of them but I feel Dow has had a good go and just hasn't taken his chances whereas McA will only have gained from the experience and some continuity of games is important for youngsters.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Bahaha! Get off the weed lads.

The senior coach does and always will have the overriding say on team selection.

Is he even on the match committee?

If you don't like selection fair enough, but put it on the right person/people.

Livo is a gun football administrator/leader who hopefully won't be going anywhere.
Absolutely Leysy. You don’t over see a dynasty if you don’t know what you are doing.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
This is the first week that I haven't liked the selections at all.

But.

My guess is that Yze has decided to forfeit first possession, and it's going to try to turn the ball over and beat Melbourne on the outside.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I am glad you are amused.

The team selections this week are nothing but baffling.

I understand Naismith to help with Gawn. But Ryan was the logical in for Kosi. Lever and May will have a field day.

Then we drop arguably our two most talented young players.

How does Dow’s 12 possessions each week escape scrutiny?

Farcical.
Dow was never getting dropped…has been the face of ANZAC eve.

• Haha

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I understand Naismith as 2nd ruck but if he’s expected to also fill in as a KF (we only have Myke as a KF) then it ain’t gunna work.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Harley Reid being managed this week.
Young mids can't produce week in week out.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Our best chance is that it buckets down and slows the game completely. If there is any sort of fast track our plodders in Dow, Graham and Hopper will be chasing ass all night.

I will laugh though if they sub one of our rucks at 3qtr time like we have done the past few years and then allowed Gawn to just completely dominate and win the game for them. Let's see if we have learnt anything.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I'm actually OK with Mcauliffe having a rest. I actually thought it was bordering on negligent playing him against West Coast after the sprained ankle a few days earlier against St Kilda. Young kids recover quick but the last thing we need is our excellent midfield prospect developing some chronic ankle issue at 18.

As for the team very blah.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I understand Naismith as 2nd ruck but if he’s expected to also fill in as a KF (we only have Myke as a KF) then it ain’t gunna work.
Surely Naismith plays first ruck against Gawn. Yes, it'll sting Nank's pride. Let him take it out on Jacob Van Notaruckmansarsehole.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Thought Dow would have been dropped and McAuliffe gets a full game...

Reactions: 1 users

JoeGee

Tiger Cub
Oct 17, 2023
with such a 'decimated by injury' list, you can't expect much ...

I agree that Hugo didn't show a lot in Perth, but nor did those that were dropped ..

tough, but hey, i think the MC are experimenting a little bit with the mix and that's what we are seeing ..
Some transparency from Yze in his pressers toward these selections would be helpful.

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
McAuliffe emergency, stuck in no mans land between the magoos and seniors game.
Kossi and Sonsie, the other emegencies are selected for VFL but not McAuliffe.

Does that mean he's actually being managed or really held over in case there's a warm up injury? Pretty likely I guess.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Bahaha! Get off the weed lads.

The senior coach does and always will have the overriding say on team selection.

Is he even on the match committee?

If you don't like selection fair enough, but put it on the right person/people.

Livo is a gun football administrator/leader who hopefully won't be going anywhere.
3 coaches on and it’s the same players getting gifted games it just don’t add up
Try explaining why coaches have come and gone but it’s the same old selections year after year

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
3 coaches on and it’s the same players getting gifted games it just don’t add up
Try explaining why coaches have come and gone but it’s the same old selections year after year

You do realise there is one very easy answer - possibly it's the player(s) themselves. ;)

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Gotta say very strange selections.

Get the Naismith call. It's a specific match-up to best handle Max. He played well in the scratchie on him.

Don't understand the backline at all. Looks way too slow.

Young, Miller, Grimes as key backs. Broad, Vlastuin, Brown as medium talls and Rioli as the one runner. Suspect he is going to get very close attention.

This against a Melbourne team that has Petty as the key tall, supported by mediums Fritch (188cm) Van Rooyen (193cm) surrounded by a heap of hard running smalls like Pickett, Chandler, Neal-Bullen,

Maybe they are going to swing Miller or someone else forward.

On both form and match-ups, would have dropped Young for Grimes - 100%.

The faith in Dow in particular when he is routinely torched by bigger better opponents is also bewildering.

Anyway, hopefully they are pulling the right reign. Not confident though.
‘Maybe they are going to swing Miller or someone else forward.’

We are so small up forward - our keys are a bloke in his 4th game and a beaten up old second ruckman!

Unless the game plan is swarm forward pressure to minimise their rebound, but without another target I think we are doomed particularly late on the game

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Strange team, we usually play 7 defenders and 2/3 wings.

We have 7 defenders already (Young, Broad, Miller, Grimes, Vlastuin, Brown and Rioli) and 3 wings (Kmac, Pickett and Hugo) so where is Banks going to play, unless we are moving 1 of the others. I don't mind moving a wing, maybe 1 of the 4 stated as wings will be the sub (I'd assume Banks if thats the case as I don't think they'd play Kmac as the sub).
Banks in for Short i reckon, so he plays half back.
Its Grimes thats the extra back, so we look too tall. But who goes out?