Ash Barty | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ash Barty

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I actually would have liked to see Benny Gale picked to present the cup. 240 games and 10 years as the CEO and now a Richmond legend. He deserves it.

The President could have stepped in and made it happen

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I actually would have liked to see Benny Gale picked to present the cup. 240 games and 10 years as the CEO and now a Richmond legend. He deserves it.

The President could have stepped in and made it happen

Doubt he would have accepted the honour. We might have to wait until he retires as CEO of the AFL before we can get him to do it.

Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Geoff Raines?? He left the Tiges to play for the scum.
Agree - left for more $. Computer says No.

I would have voted for Benny............on the proviso we win of course

No issue with Ash.....a passionate and high profile fan that is a great person and role model

Reactions: 2 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
As a huge fan of Joel Bowden, I would have liked him to do it. Or another former player.

I don't know how I feel about this choice. Lined up against Richo and Maureen Hafey it does seem a bit out of place. 2020 has been a strange one though so it is probably emblematic of the year.

Reactions: 1 user

OldTiger67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 6, 2016
Raines I'm not sure about...not sure where his true loyalty lies.

Love the Bowden idea though.

What people don’t realise about Geoff Raines is that he was completely instrumental in getting the $10m allocation from the federal government for the PRO redevelopment. He did substantial unheralded work for this. His loyalty is defenitely with Richmond.

• Wow

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Anthony Banik lives on the Sunshine Coast. If ever we wanted a clear reference point to prior generation pain, he would signify it. He was a tough player but those late 80s/early 90s were genuinely painful times. I remember him telling me the story of other blokes that got drafted when he did training while he was shaking cans on Punt Rd as part of Save Our Skins

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I like the idea of ash doing it. She’s very passionate, and always has been. She’s a great ambassador for the club on a world stage. I believe if the Cats win, one of the Nankervi (Ian) will present it.

Reactions: 1 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
I like the idea of ash doing it. She’s very passionate, and always has been. She’s a great ambassador for the club on a world stage. I believe if the Cats win, one of the Nankervi (Ian) will present it.
Toby? Hope not...

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I can't believe anyone would whinge about this.

1. If she get to execute her duties, we have won back to back premierships.

2. Ash is cool. working class, indig. girl risen to be the best in the world.

3. loves tigers.

4. she's one hell of an upgrade on George Pell for No.1 ticket.

get behind her.

Its not the week for negativity.

go tigers

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Doubt he would have accepted the honour. We might have to wait until he retires as CEO of the AFL before we can get him to do it.
He is probably the one picking it now anyway Baloo and I am sure you are right about not accepting it but it's just who I would like to see do it given he is in the hub.

It may not be a popular view but if we were at the MCG I would have picked KB. Despite his falling out in the past he is a Richmond legend, games record holder and in my mind one of our 5 greatest players ever

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Imagine her with a beer in one hand & the cup in the other handing it to Trent.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I can't believe anyone would whinge about this.

1. If she get to execute her duties, we have won back to back premierships.

2. Ash is cool. working class, indig. girl risen to be the best in the world.

3. loves tigers.

4. she's one hell of an upgrade on George Pell for No.1 ticket.

get behind her.

Its not the week for negativity.

go tigers
Agree. She's an inspiration, just as the tigers are. Its a great modern decision from a progressive club.

Reactions: 6 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Poxy decision for mine., Presenting the cup is an honour for a former warrior of the club (or their wife), not a celebrity supporter gimmick.

Agree that it smacks of a PR stunt. Having said that, Pol Pot could present the premiership cup and I'd cheer. Bit of a nothing role.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Agree Joel would have been a good choice. Not just for his career but his family's history with Richmond.

But Ash is great contemporary choice. We are were we are by thinking and acting differently, why stop it now.
Should be a $10 members raffle. There's a million quid right there.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Great character. A champion. And great international exposure for the Tigers. Between her and Serena we have fans of women's tennis covered.

Better than West Coast having Margaret Court as their tennis ambassador.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
I would love to see Bowden hiding behind the goalposts during the granny

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Great character. A champion. And great international exposure for the Tigers. Between her and Serena we have fans of women's tennis covered.

Better than West Coast having Margaret Court as their tennis ambassador.

Haha.

I kind of wish Ash was transgender, presented the cup to us,

And then won the inaugural mixed doubles singles title at the AO in January,

And trent cotchin presented her the plate