Australia Day - 26th January? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day - 26th January?

Should Austrlalia Day be on the 26th of January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I did not say you said it, I just said your posting makes it appear that way.
But clearly I was wrong and you dont need Australia Day to be celebrated on the date the convicts landed, and your love of Australia, and your experience as Australian wont be diminished if the date was changed, so there should be no issue changing the date. Good to hear.
How can it appear that way if I didn't say it?

My position is clear and consistent. Change the day if you must to Federation Day 1st January which has similar significance to Jan 26th. Just don't expect that to solve anything.

My position is clear and consistent. Change the day if you must to Federation Day 1st January which has similar significance to Jan 26th. Just don't expect that to solve anything.
I haven’t seen a post where anyone had said it will solve everything.

Yes, misread. You must be thrilled picking up a mistake that I actually made.
It will be a small step along the way but a step forward

Change the day, good sign we look back on history and say ”it made sense then but not now.”

And the public holiday has been going since what 94? Its going to happen.

Yes, misread. You must be thrilled picking up a mistake that I actually made.
No, but without the correction, you replied to a statement that didn't exist.
It will be a small step along the way but a step forward
Will it? I wouldn't oppose a move to Jan 1 but it won't make a rat's arse of difference, and you know it.

In fact I would like to see it happen just to prove the point that some *smile* are gonna complain, no matter what.

Reactions: 1 user
I think all these nutty suggestions for alternate national days are just making my point for me.

The vapidity of them makes me think you’d all be quite happy to abolish the day. A bit sad really.
No one has said they want to abolish the day.
Except the big R and you know he will say anything :p
And its only his 2nd choice after moving the date.
Best not to put words into other posters' mouths!

What about changing to a different date?
As I said there must be 320 dates to choose from, once days like Christmas day are discounted.
Why cant one of those work,?

What about changing to a different date?
As I said there must be 320 dates to choose from, once days like Christmas day are discounted.
Why cant one of those work,?
If we move it to any old date to mark our national day then it won't matter, we'll be halfway to mass insanity.

It doesn't help that Aboriginals didn't have a calendar.

How about Feb 26 when Janszoon landed at Cape York? We can all be happy that Aboriginals slew several of Janszoon's men and dissuaded the Dutch from settling.

Last edited:
No, but without the correction, you replied to a statement that didn't exist.

Will it? I wouldn't oppose a move to Jan 1 but it won't make a rat's arse of difference, and you know it.

In fact I would like to see it happen just to prove the point that some *smile* are gonna complain, no matter what.
Some will complain no matter what but that isn’t a reason not to do it.

I haven’t seen anyone who has argued that it is some panacea to solving the issues we have in our country around its relationship with its indigenous peoples. However taking one small step of change is a good thing.

No one has said they want to abolish the day.
Except the big R and you know he will say anything :p
And its only his 2nd choice after moving the date.
Best not to put words into other posters' mouths!

This is not me putting words in others mouths. David S said he supported Stan Grant’s position of ‘you don’t get a national day until you deserve one’.

Anyway ‘makes me think’ clearly tells you it’s an inference. If you want the date changed and you think any old date is acceptable then you clearly don’t think much of the nation so you probably don’t care about whether there is a national date or not. TBR was being honest I guess.

It doesn't help that they didn't have a daily calendar.

No, it was yet another cheap shot at indigenous culture. First, they had no "foundations". Now they don't have a "daily calendar". Step outside your comfort zone and try to appreciate things from another perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
No, it was yet another cheap shot at indigenous culture. First, they had no "foundations". Now they don't have a "daily calendar". Step outside your comfort zone and try to appreciate things from another perspective.
Stop obfuscating. They haven't put forward an alternate date because there aren't any historical dates that predate settlement. If nobody told them the British landed on Jan 26, they'd be oblivious.

Last edited:
Stop obfuscating. They haven't put forward an alternate date because there aren't any historical dates that pre-settlement. If nobody told them the British landed on Jan 26, they'd be oblivious.

That's not obfuscation, that's a direct statement about your tactics.

Doesn't seem to bother everyone who celebrates Christmas. And Easter.

The ancient Jews had a daily calendar based on the moon. Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the northern spring equinox. That is why it does not have a set date. Originally it matched the date of the Passover (which is celebrated on Nisan 15). But this was changed in 325AD by the council of Nicaea so now they sometimes occur at a different time.

With Christmas there are various opinions and theories as to why it is celebrated on 25th December but the date is not random.

Reactions: 2 users