Australia Day - 26th January? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day - 26th January?

Should Austrlalia Day be on the 26th of January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're fine with observing Anzac Day and acknowledge that today's Australia would not be possible without that sacrifice, but you're not OK with Australia Day and recognising that today's Australia would not be possible without the struggle from wilderness. It's very hard to understand.

It's not wrong to be concerned at the level of anti-Australian sentiment being fostered and openly manifesting itself in this country.

You'll know fear when your Chinese mates move on Taiwan and Uncle Joe sits on his hands.

Disparate nomadic warring primitive tribes. They didn't have foundations.
You make assumptions of what people mean because that is the only way your brain works and then get confused when it’s not right. Any sort of nuanced thinking seems to be beyond you.
I have not made any statements about Anzac Day and I have never said I don’t want people to celebrate Australia Day, only that I personally don’t particularly need a special day to do so.
I am no fan of China and have actually been there and worked there many times over many years so have some actual experience of it and working with its bureaucracy and state owned enterprises. This again is an example of how your brain works. You perceive anyone who is not thinking as you do as left wing , all left wingers are communists and therefore they like China. It’s just so puerile.

Reactions: 1 users
It needs to create something to be worthwhile. Special interest groups can't keep taking away.

So once again, put some effort into it and create something better.

Indigenous elder wants woke city mobs to “come and see what it is really like”

Get your hand off it Lee.
Changing the date doesnt need to create something that you deem worthwhile.

I posted that it was a symbol of acknowledgement and inclusion.
It doesn't take anything away. Not a thing except for an argument to be racist and a smile.
It doesnt address the majority,s needs as you wanted but does reach out to some Australians

It is a species of denialism to try to deny our origins to appease a section of the community. Our origins as a nation are as a British colony. That is a fact of history. Jan 26 as Australia Day acknowledges that fact.

We've come a long way from that convict camp of 232 years ago. We are a much richer and more inclusive society than we were. So in my view the heritage we received as a former British colony as well as what we have become should be celebrated. I'm with Turnbull change the Day when we become a republic.

It is a species of denialism to try to deny our origins to appease a section of the community. Our origins as a nation are as a British colony. That is a fact of history. Jan 26 as Australia Day acknowledges that fact.

We've come a long way from that convict camp of 232 years ago. We are a much richer and more inclusive society than we were. So in my view the heritage we received as a former British colony as well as what we have become should be celebrated. I'm with Turnbull change the Day when we become a republic.
no one is denying Australia's history, many just dont think celebrating Australia, past and present, is best done on the day convicts first landed.

Djevv there has been many posters describing the reason why changing the date of Australia Day would be good.
None of them have resorted to denying the past, or not acknowledging that our country was once a British colony. We have indeed come a long way.
No dispute.
So why claim that posters are denialists?
Why misrepresent the argument?

Reactions: 2 users
Djevv there has been many posters describing the reason why changing the date of Australia Day would be good.
None of them have resorted to denying the past, or not acknowledging that our country was once a British colony. We have indeed come a long way.
No dispute.
because the only true argument those who want to keep the date is that they dont want those who want the date changed to "win". they cant just admit that so they have to try other arguments.

Reactions: 1 user
no one is denying Australia's history

Yes, quite the opposite actually.

As has been stated before, Howard introduced the Jan 26th date so it's pretty recent in historical terms. And he did it as part of conservative identity politics.

Yes, quite the opposite actually.

As has been stated before, Howard introduced the Jan 26th date so it's pretty recent in historical terms. And he did it as part of conservative identity politics.
I keep hearing that but Australia Day was always the 26th of Jan when I was growing up. The holiday to celebrate it was just moved to the nearest Monday to facilitate a long weekend.

Howard just took the automatic long weekend away.

I keep hearing that but Australia Day was always the 26th of Jan when I was growing up. The holiday to celebrate it was just moved to the nearest Monday to facilitate a long weekend.

Howard just took the automatic long weekend away.

Yes, you are right Baloo.

No dispute.
There is a type of denial that tries to imagine that Australia was settled without any heavy handed tactics perpetrated by the colonisers. There is another where deniers wash their hands of the shame of being the descendants of colonisers by averting their eyes from what happened because it does not fit the modern narrative of inclusivity.

You have two days that are significant to how Australia came to be and don't commit either form of denial: Jan 1st or Jan 26th. Take your pick.

Last edited:
because the only true argument those who want to keep the date is that they dont want those who want the date changed to "win". they cant just admit that so they have to try other arguments.
Perhaps can you re-familiarise me with the arguments that support moving Australia Day? I don't remember hearing any. Where would you move it to and why?

There is a type of denial that tries to imagine that Australia was settled without any heavy handed tactics perpetrated by the colonisers. There is another where deniers wash their hands of the shame of being the descendants of colonisers by averting their eyes from what happened because it does not fit the modern narrative of inclusivity.

You have two days that are significant to how Australia came to be and don't commit either form of denial: Jan 1st or Jan 26th. Take your pick.
The proposal to change from Jan 26 isnt driven by denying that a British colony was started in 1788.
It doesnt deny that murders massacres etc were carried out as part of the colonisation.
It doesn't seek to deny the shame of colony or whitewash the history.
Its driven by recognition that people lived in this country before 1788. And their offspring are Australians, one of us mob.

I still cant understand how those wanting to change are in denial.

There are 365 days to choose from.
Jan 26 causes heartbreak, as will some other dates. Or are already taken. But smile me if we cant choose 1 from the 350 days

There is a type of denial that tries to imagine that Australia was settled without any heavy handed tactics perpetrated by the colonisers.
Australia was not settled by colonisers, it was already settled when they got here

Reactions: 1 user
Australia was not settled by colonisers, it was already settled when they got here
Hahaha.... now that is an excellent point!!! Well done sin, I don't think I've seen or heard that one before. So much for the early settlers claim. Outstanding!