Australia Day - 26th January? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day - 26th January?

Should Austrlalia Day be on the 26th of January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Why do you need a day of historical significance to celebrate a National Day?

Because you are celebrating something worthwhile about your nation. Something worth remembering and celebrating happened on that day. It’s obvious isn’t it?

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Alright if you read the article it states no one is really sure about why the date is where it is. That the reasoning is lost in the mists of time does not make it random - even if the reason is theological rather than the actual date.

Anyway the antiquity of the date means no one would ever dream of shifting it ‘because it is just a date for a family get together anyway’.

I never said the Christmas date was random, it wasn't. I'm sure there was a reason and the Roman/Persian pagan origins are a good one.

And you are right, it won't be shifted. My last point was a logical one - you said because it was old it couldn't be random - which is not true.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yes.

No. They're just the most visible and receive coverage out of all proportion to their numbers, creating the impression that the day is tainted.

If you want the date changed and you don't care what they change it to or even if Australia Day is obeserved at all - yes. Guilty.
It won’t surprise you that I disagree with all of those points. Unlike you I suspect, I actually know people who have attended those rallies in the past including members of my own family. Many of them have done many things in their lives that have benefited Australian society, none of them are anti Australian in the slightest. In fact I would categorise them as people who just want to make Australia better.
Disagree if you like, because the right to do that is quintessentially Australian, but please don’t question the motivation of others because you are way off the mark in doing so.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Because you are celebrating something worthwhile about your nation. Something worth remembering and celebrating happened on that day. It’s obvious isn’t it?
You can't celebrate a nation unless you tie it to something historical?

Its that sort of thinking that's stopping us moving forward in finding a date that everyone can celebrate. In today's idealogical warzone, there will never be a historical date that everyone can agree with. So pick a date with no historical significance and declare it the National Day, free of any baggage.

February 20th is the most natural date. Or in true Australian style we can float the date and have it the last Monday in February.

A bit like Easter really. Doesn't matter what the date it as long as we get a four day weekend.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Why would you celebrate a national day on a day of no historical significance?
Because it's about our future. Its not just about convenient parts of some of our past.

Remove any date from Australia Day. A date will always allow for someone to associate it with something to maintain the rage for its change.

Mark the new "time" as our future, who we are, who we want to become and how we are going to get there. Include everyone, even people who are not here yet.

Make the new "time" historically significant from that point of time.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
You people are obsessed with the negative aspects of colonisation! You should think more about the amazing heritage of stable government, rule of law, freedom and prosperity it has lead to. That did not happen without 26th Jan 1788! That what you must deny to change the date.

The idea of just picking some random day as your national day is so ludicrous it beggars belief. It makes a mockery of that which it seeks to celebrate. Furthermore the outraged would be outraged regardless of which day it is.
Feb 20.
A day to celebrate stable government, hopefully no longer like Joh's stability, rule of law where we respect the police and detest when harm comes their way, freedom and prosperity.
None of that was applicable on Jan 26 1788 by the way.

We can also celebrate our lives as Australians, however we wish to do it. By barbie or silence, by prayers or protests aiming for a better society.
And we celebrate what brings us together, such as the footy, not what pushes some apart.
Feb 20.
Its also the day Richmond was formed.
Who wouldn't want to celebrate?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It won’t surprise you that I disagree with all of those points. Unlike you I suspect, I actually know people who have attended those rallies in the past including members of my own family. Many of them have done many things in their lives that have benefited Australian society, none of them are anti Australian in the slightest. In fact I would categorise them as people who just want to make Australia better.
Disagree if you like, because the right to do that is quintessentially Australian, but please don’t question the motivation of others because you are way off the mark in doing so.
I re-assert that if you are opposed to Jan 26 and don't have another suitable day in mind that you are politically motivated, anti-colonialist and essentially a statue-wrecker, at least in spirit.

Has your family ever vandalised a statue of Cook or another founding figure?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I re-assert that if you are opposed to Jan 26 and don't have another suitable day in mind that you are politically motivated, anti-colonialist and essentially a statue-wrecker, at least in spirit.

You can know something is wrong without knowing what the perfect answer is.

January 26th has become the wrong date to celebrate Australia. What's the right date? I don't think anybody knows yet.

The only reason you think a stance like that is politically motivated is because you're taking a politically motivated stance on the subject and you assume anyone that doesn't agree with you is also playing politics.

That's simply wrong. Very wrong.

Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I want the date changed, but I don't really care what date they choose, how am I guilty of wanting to tear it down?

Why does a day to celebrate Australia need to have any historical significance?
its funny, I know people who have gotten really pissed on Aust Day, wearing the Aussie flag bathers, who also protest against the date. they are clearly real Aussies, but they know the date is wrong.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
its funny, I know people who have gotten really pissed on Aust Day, wearing the Aussie flag bathers, who also protest against the date. they are clearly real Aussies, but they know the date is wrong.
Do they have an Aussie flag cape?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Has your family ever vandalised a statue of Cook or another founding figure?

I assume from this that you are pro-colonialism and would still be upset that the Czechoslovakians destroyed this statue back in 1962:

3385.jpg

Ooh can't have people vandalising statues, statues are sacred. Would be un-Australian to vandalise a statue.

DS

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I wonder what suitable date would be agreeable to our Indigenous brethren. If any.

Is there a day that we could all celebrate together or would it need to called something else entirely?