Australia Day Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day Poll

Which applies to you?

• Celebrate Australia Day. Keep the date.

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • Celebrate Australia Day. Change the date.

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • Don't celebrate Australia. Keep the date.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Don't celebrate Australia Day. Change the date.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Prawn sandwich on the barbie

• Other...please specify.

• Total voters
22nd Man said:
So true. But there is no poltical will nor media ratings in making this the issue.
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.

martyshire said:
It depends. Do you think there will be reenactments of the first fleet in Botany Bay if AD were moved to some other date? I would have thought that by changing the date you also reduce the significance of that event, which is part of what causes the offence.

Was there a first fleet reenactment this Australia Day? I haven't heard of it but reckon it would be pretty poor taste in this day and age. Thought we would have moved on from that kind of thing.

rosy3 said:
Was there a first fleet reenactment this Australia Day? I haven't heard of it but reckon it would be pretty poor taste in this day and age. Thought we would have moved on from that kind of thing.
I think Marty is referring to to the Bicentennial re-enactment 30 years ago.

Brodders17 said:
so you wont care if the date is changed?

Not particularly. Why do you ask me that? My posts indicate dates aren't important to me. I'd feel the same if there was a push to change Christmas Day from the 25th because not everyone is Christian. I just don't see it as addressing the problems. It would be like bandaids on an amputation going by the recent angst and comments. Far more important issues at hand than dates imo.

Do you agree with calls to abolish Australia Day celebrations altogether rather than change the date? What about changing the name of our country because it wasn't originally called Australia? What would those things solve?

The past will never change. We can all work towards a better future though. Sadly sometimes improvement needs to come from within too. There are a lot of negative messages and insults and accusations being hurled around.

tigertim said:
I think Marty is referring to to the Bicentennial re-enactment 30 years ago.

Oh ok thanks. 30 years is a long time ago...hopefully a lot has changed since then.

Change the flag and the name as these are also offensive to some

Problem solved by becoming a republic and celebrating this day instead. New flag and hopefully a decent new anthem.

It will potentially also make It easier to acknowledge and recognise our dark history.

tigertim said:
There’s some irony that of Australia’s 650,000 indigenous people there’s about 4 I’ve heard say that Australia Day should change. I’ve heard from about the same number who say it should stay the same.

But I’ve heard from 100s of white Australians telling us what the indigenous want......

unless you're Indigenous, i am sure there is some irony in that post.

rosy3 said:
Not particularly. Why do you ask me that? My posts indicate dates aren't important to me. I'd feel the same if there was a push to change Christmas Day from the 25th because not everyone is Christian. I just don't see it as addressing the problems. It would be like bandaids on an amputation going by the recent angst and comments. Far more important issues at hand than dates imo.

Do you agree with calls to abolish Australia Day celebrations altogether rather than change the date? What about changing the name of our country because it wasn't originally called Australia? What would those things solve?

The past will never change. We can all work towards a better future though. Sadly sometimes improvement needs to come from within too. There are a lot of negative messages and insults and accusations being hurled around.

i asked you because in your original posts you said you think the date should stay the same. you then said the date was irrelevant.

i dont think anyone is suggesting changing the date Australia Day is celebrated will lead to instant drastic change in the living conditions of Indigenous Australians, but it doesnt need to. it is not one or the other. The date can be changed while attempts are made to make change on the ground.
celebrating the day Cook landed and decided Sydney would be a good place for a penal colony, which led to the slaughter of thousands of Indigenous Australians offends many people, and not just Indigenous Australians.

suggesting changing the date is in any way similar to change the name of our country is nonsense, as is comparing changing the date of Australia Day to changing the date of Christmas. Australia Day has been celebrated on Jan 26 across the country for about 20 years. the comparison is about as useful as many of those used in the marriage equality debate.

Brodders17 said:
i asked you because in your original posts you said you think the date should stay the same. you then said the date was irrelevant.

Yep. I don't see the point in changing it at the moment. It's just a number that many have differing opinions about. It's not the main issue as far as I see it.

Do you agree with easy's comment that I was actually responding to in my post you quoted that the date is a red herring?

Brodders17 said:
the comparison is about as useful as many of those used in the marriage equality debate.

Gay marriage (another red herring) was more about equal rights and opportunities. Do you think having Australia day on Jan 26th results in inequality and lack of opportunity, and if so in what way?

tigertim said:
your complaining about white australians telling you what indigenous australians think while you tell us what indigenous australians think.

rosy3 said:
Yep. I don't see the point in changing it at the moment. It's just a number that many have differing opinions about. It's not the main issue as far as I see it.

Do you agree with easy's comment that I was actually responding to in my post you quoted that the date is a red herring?

Gay marriage (another red herring) was more about equal rights and opportunities. Do you think having Australia day on Jan 26th results in inequality and lack of opportunity, and if so in what way?

no i dont agree the date is a red herring. it is an issue, and one that can be easily addressed without any loss.

i am not comparing the 'change to date' issue to the 'marriage equality' issue, i am comparing your link to changing the date Australia Day is celebrated to changing Christmas Day to those who linked allowing gay people to marry to allowing people to marry animals or polygamy. both are/were totally irrelevant to the debate at hand.

Brodders17 said:
your complaining about white australians telling you what indigenous australians think while you tell us what indigenous australians think.
You're stretching it a bit there but so be it.

I was commenting (complaining is your term) that many entitled white folk keep telling "us" what the indigenous feel and what's best for them whilst noting that I had only heard from a handful of indigenous who were equally for and against changing the date.

No irony there.

Whilst I’m just a racist white guy I was unimpressed with these comments:

“F--- Australia, hope it f-----g burns to the ground,” Invasion Day organiser Tarneen Onus-Williams said. “If you celebrate Australia Day, f---er, you’re celebrating the death of my ancestors.

Went to Yarrawonga for Aust Day celebrations and it was a breath of fresh air to see our Aussie pride rejoiced without political/minority crap. Beer, music, river, Aussie flag flying proudly. Get stuffed complaining minority and non appreciative foreigners, plenty of other countries for you to go and ruin

tigertim said:
Whilst I’m just a racist white guy I was unimpressed with these comments:

“F--- Australia, hope it f-----g burns to the ground,” Invasion Day organiser Tarneen Onus-Williams said. “If you celebrate Australia Day, f---er, you’re celebrating the death of my ancestors.

i dont think it only you white supremacist, black haters who disagree with those comments.

thegdog said:
Went to Yarrawonga for Aust Day celebrations and it was a breath of fresh air to see our Aussie pride rejoiced without political/minority crap. Beer, music, river, Aussie flag flying proudly. Get stuffed complaining minority and non appreciative foreigners, plenty of other countries for you to go and ruin

would it have been any different if those celebrations were on Jan 29, or in Feb?

rosy3 said:
I've read a few Aboriginal leaders calling for abolishing Australia Day altogether rather than changing dates. Saddened to read such bitterness. Concerned at the message it sends to future generations.

I was saddened to hear that. The f**k Australia comments were disgusting. change the date yes, but don't remove the day.

MB78 said:
It’s true. Not sure how anyone can argue that.

its not true. This land would have been settled by someone else if it wasn't the British. doesn't mean we should have the day this country was settled should be a day of celebration. how many countries do that?