Australian Idol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australian Idol

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
I'm glad I didn't vote for anyone. Surely she would have known sunday night that she couldn't go on singing. All those people who spent money voting for her would be pissed off and all those who voted for shannon and guy too as it was all for nothing.

P.S. Yea Chelle I saw that pic, it seems that there's another photo of millsy and a new woman every day.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
TigersGoddess said:
I'm glad I didn't vote for anyone. Surely she would have known sunday night that she couldn't go on singing. All those people who spent money voting for her would be p!ssed off and all those who voted for shannon and guy too as it was all for nothing.

P.S. Yea Chelle I saw that pic, it seems that there's another photo of millsy and a new woman every day.

Its another money making show. All these silly people calling to vote who to stay on.

I reckon they should get real judges and have the judges decide on who is good and who continues on.

That Shannon is a terrible singer. He's just a pretty boy whom all these silly teen girls call up and vote because they have a crush on him. This is not rewarding the actual people who can sing.

I dont like Guys style of singing, but out of the two, he is the better.

I am starting to get annoyed with all these reality shows which require people to call and vote. Just a money scam which doesnt reward the people who can actually sing.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
nwonash said:
That Shannon is a terrible singer. He's just a pretty boy whom all these silly teen girls call up and vote because they have a crush on him. This is not rewarding the actual people who can sing.

Being one of those "silly teen girls" myself, i dont think its the teen population voting for Shannon...more their mums. I personally dont see anything in Shannon - looks or voice.

Hate the fact that us teen girls are steryotyped all the time :mad:

Personally not worried about losing money for voting, i only voted a couple of times for Guy and Cosima, and a fair proportion of funds are going to charity.

pettifer8

They're baackk!!!
g0tigers said:
nwonash said:

Being one of those "silly teen girls" myself, i dont think its the teen population voting for Shannon...more their mums. I personally dont see anything in Shannon - looks or voice.

Hate the fact that us teen girls are steryotyped all the time :mad:

here here, your post is informative and concise

i have never voted once for shannon hes got nothing unless u want another country rock singer but last time i looked it was a pop idol they are looking for.

If shannon does win he wont go anywhere near anyone at the world idol comp thats aparently happening. the only good thing about him is his fiancee's name is Rochelle

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
I've gone off Guy, Shannon gets my sympathy vote.

The bloke's from a small town way out west NSW with little services. I'm sure most of what Shannon has he's made for himself without the luxury of voice and camera training offered in a city like Adelaide (palm to the camera, Guy!).

Go Shannon! I thought you were a bit of a preener before and your voice, as they say, is not that perfrect but the sugar-cream, pretty-as-pie image of Guy is beginning to get on my nerves :(.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
I was going for Shannon but after watching "Inside Idol" last night I think Guy will win. Shannon going through those songs rehearsing wasn't the best whereas Guy has a much better voice, better range. Shannon is very Barnsey. It will be interesting to see how Guy's "Crazy in Love" turns out.

I think after Cosima's performance on Sunday (before the big announcement) she probably would have lost out to Shannon anyway.

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
I agree julz :(. Guy is a certainty for the title, but then I do like Shannon's sound- barnesy aspect and all.

Personally, I can't see winning Idol will lead to anything long-term in terms of fame. We know what happened to products of the Popstars and the reality TV circuses. Bardot? Scandal'Us?

My guess is Guy will be big immediately following the show. However, unless he revolutionalises his sound and comes out with a cracker second album, he will disappear like all other output from pop and reality television.

The fact he will no doubt be competing with the product of Australian Idol II at that time will surely be a further impediment to his long lasting success.

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
If it was just a singing contest, then Paulini in the gold dress shouldn't have been a problem. Can you imagine an ugly Idol? The more I watch it though, the more convinced I am that Guy will win - he's very clever with the songs he chooses, his interpretation of the song etc. Shannon is the typical aussie pub rocker. Just sometimes his range lets him down.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
And the Lord said Thou shalt worship no Australian idols!!!! Triple J 8) 8) 8)

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
Shannon wins vocal support of singing expert
By Tony Davis (SMH, November 15, 2003)

Shannon has a better voice than Guy or Cosima, but none can match Paulini, the Fijian-born Sydneysider who was the first of the Australian Idol final four to be sent packing.

That's the considered opinion of Michael Halliwell, the head of vocal studies at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.

Dr Halliwell will start auditioning 150 potential singing students next week as part of his role at the "Con". But he agreed to start the process early by listening to the Australian Idol four, and evaluating the technical quality of their voices for the Herald.

Dr Halliwell, 50, is a South African-born, London-trained former opera singer who has sat through thousands of auditions to uncover vocal potential.

He had not seen the hit television show before yesterday when he sat in his sound-proof office and worked his way through studio recordings and live television performances of Guy Sebastian, Shannon Noll, Cosima De Vito and Pauline "Paulini" Curuenavuli .

So has the show, as claimed, unearthed real talent?
In general yes, says Dr Halliwell, though his opinion of hot favourite Guy would seem to run against popular opinion. "Shannon's is probably a voice with more range and more dynamic variation and colour variation," he said.

"I would classify Shannon's voice from a classical point of view as a light lyric tenor, with a nice easy extension to the top. I think he uses it pretty intelligently, carefully. He is the most comfortable vocally of the four in terms of what he is singing And I think it's a good, strong voice."

Dr Halliwell feels Shannon could respond well to classical training, even though the technique is completely different. "Mozart maybe, nothing too heavy, no big dramatic operas."

He considers Guy's sound pretty, but limited "It's almost like a speaking way of singing, it's not really using the full vocal mechanism."
Dr Halliwell agrees that voice quality and star quality are not always the same thing, and that judging the technical quality of voices can depend on repertoire.
But he rates Paulini above Shannon. "Her voice has areas where I think it makes it a little more interesting than his. Of all the four singers she has the widest range of colour.

"It's a voice with a lot of substance, a strong voice."
Although he was taken with Cosima's presentation and "pizzaz", Dr Halliwell found her voice "fairly limited in sound".

If Shannon were to turn up at the Con for auditions after next Wednesday's final episode of Australian Idol would Dr Halliwell be interested?

"Certainly, we have students that audition by singing popular songs. We get a lot of potential in voices - what is in a voice that hasn't yet come out. For me [Shannon] shows a lot of potential in the voice and he'll probably take it a lot further."

But if he could choose just one? "Paulini."

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Yes I hope Guy does a lot better than Bardot, ScandRLus (however it was spelt) and that stupid Scott person. I also hope Shannon and Paulini are given a recording contract as I think they deserve it.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I didn't realise until now that you guys have been talking Australian Idol..If I'd known earlier, I had plenty of inside info to dish out as one of the top 40 contestants Anton, is a good friend and work colleague of my wife and he always gave her the inside scoops.

Anyway, what did you all think of Anthony egg on legs Sumbati?? He looked like a couch from our family room only with less talent. What really ticked me off was how he got a gig at the final when he cheated in the competition!! :mad: :mad: Whereas people like Anton who is a very good singer and the only reason he didn't make the final 12 was because the stupid stylist crucified him with a ridiculous Polo shirt that was straight out of Caddyshack! IMO Anton had without doubt the best Male R&B voice on the show.

BTW, I still know some stuff that never made it to air if you guys are interested.....

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tiga said:
I didn't realise until now that you guys have been talking Australian Idol..If I'd known earlier, I had plenty of inside info to dish out as one of the top 40 contestants Anton, is a good friend and work colleague of my wife and he always gave her the inside scoops.

BTW, I still know some stuff that never made it to air if you guys are interested.....

I didn't really follow Australian Idol tiga, but I'm sure my daughter would love to hear any goss and inside stories you care to share. She was a big fan of the show.

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Tell us the goss. Tell us the goss. I only really started to get into it when they were down to the final 5 so don't really know all the ins and outs about why the large guy quit or the cute blonde guy.