Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005
Re: Been to a good gig lately?

I've been yelling it for years mate ;D

This will be the first time with the appropriate backing group

Maybe Billie Joe will lend me a mike 8)

Crystal

Tiger Champion
May 5, 2005
Sydney

Just got back from the Basement (could only stay for 1 set as I have to work tomorrow - bloody Bob Jane T Mart ::)).

DO NOT MISS!!! The Virgil Donati trio (Australia's best drummer) featuring Mitchel Forman on keys (Wayne Shorter, Pat Metheny, Ricki Lee Jones, John Scofield) and the insane Rufus Philpot on bass (Planet X, Randy Brecker). These guys are seriously good. An eclectic mix of fusion, jazz, rock with lots of complex time signatures and truly stunning solos. Its incredible and they're flying out to Melbourne tomorrow so get on board!!! WhooooHooooo!! >:D

The Mighty Wozman

RFC '82-'13: "Daydream Nation"
Jul 22, 2004

On the 23rd I will be catching Snout and Even at the Spanish Club in Fitzroy - can't wait :clap

Otis

Voodoo Child
Dec 24, 2004
Melbourne

Doolz85 said:
as i said earlier julie, airbourne are one of the best live bands ive seen in a longtime. my ears stopped ringing today(tuesday) and i saw them on saturday

Are you going to see em at the espy on NYE?

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg

dunno O, maybe, i got zero plans for new years at this stage. im hoping to get a falls ticket, but if that falls through then mite head to the espy.

saw the rapper phrase play on tuesday nite at the spot in sydney road. Very tight, really good album, and performs well onstage

Crystal

Tiger Champion
May 5, 2005
Sydney

I'm sooooooooo bored outta my brain. ::) Its Friday night, we had planned to meet some friends at the Basement to catch a Rolling Stones tribute show, but given the total absence of Sydney cabs this time of year, the perceived gang violence spewing into Sydney city streets tonight, plus the usual loony's that typically emerge on a full moon, we (I) decided to can it. :mad:

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121

Waterford Crystal, lengthy feature story in EG in today's Age about the problems facing the Sydney music scene:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/the-trouble-with-sydney/2005/12/15/1134500941583.html

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

I hope there are no problems in Melb this weekend when we see Green Day

I'm going to treat parking the same as I would a footy match at TD

But I have 3 kids, 2 of which aren't mine, so we will have to stay away from trouble

Crystal

Tiger Champion
May 5, 2005
Sydney

Ready said:
Waterford Crystal, lengthy feature story in EG in today's Age about the problems facing the Sydney music scene:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/the-trouble-with-sydney/2005/12/15/1134500941583.html

Ready-Set-Go!! I couldn't agree more! The Sydney band scene sucks beyond belief. That's one of the (many) things I deseperately miss about Melbourne. But its not from a lack of talent, I think its more of a cultural issue. Melbourne oozes the innate and sublime appreciation of the Arts, always has, always will. Sydney, by comparision, just wants to beat the crap outta anyone who can't surf. :-\

But back on topic! Generally speaking, Sydney people tend to spend most of their "entertainment" time either at the beach (well until recently :-\), in their local pubs, or at trendy cafes/bars which generally lack any form of decent hard core live entertainment. Admittedly, this has a lot to do with cost and distantce relative to where you live. Sure there's a great fringe set amongst the faithful that regularly showcase some truly extraordinary local talent (ie, Newtown, Surrey Hills, etc) but generally speaking, this city lacks... IMO.... a passion for the local band scene. So what is passion? Well I'd like to ask the 3 old guys who were the only audience we had for a long time at the Loaded Dog in Fitzroy so many years ago now, but hey! They were always there (despite facing the other way at the bar! :hihi).

Crystal

Tiger Champion
May 5, 2005
Sydney

TC said:

But I have 3 kids, 2 of which aren't mine, so we will have to stay away from trouble

You'll be fine TC. I'm starting to hang by Tigersnake's views these days about media hype. :hearton

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

TC said:

BE interested in a review of the concert TC, wish I was going - just about the best going around at the moment.

Also interested in the who the fourth member is as seen in the When September Ends video.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Went and watched The Church on Thursday night at The Corner Hotel.

The Church, as usual were great. Mega-talented musicians who can all play and do just about everything.

Unfortunately, because it was a moody all-acoustic show, it didn’t fit well with the venue. The Corner is a great venue, but not so much for those sorts of shows. Too many bogans, too much noise from the bar etc. In fact, Steve Kilbey (lead singer) gave up and spent half the night hanging *smile* on some of the basics who turned up and ruined the atmosphere – which in itself was also very entertaining.

Otis

Voodoo Child
Dec 24, 2004
Melbourne

Redford said:

The Church, as usual were great. Mega-talented musicians who can all play and do just about everything.

Unfortunately, because it was a moody all-acoustic show, it didn’t fit well with the venue. The Corner is a great venue, but not so much for those sorts of shows. Too many bogans, too much noise from the bar etc. In fact, Steve Kilbey (lead singer) gave up and spent half the night hanging sh!t on some of the basics who turned up and ruined the atmosphere – which in itself was also very entertaining.

I saw Ray Lamontagne at the Corner recently, and as opposed to past gigs i had seen at the corner, he was very acoustic/mellow, like the church. i was up the front near the stage and couldn't hear the pub next door though. :-\ maybe because it was a tuesday night and not as many bogans are out.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Otis said:
Redford said:

Unfortunately, because it was a moody all-acoustic show, it didn’t fit well with the venue. The Corner is a great venue, but not so much for those sorts of shows. Too many bogans, too much noise from the bar etc. In fact, Steve Kilbey (lead singer) gave up and spent half the night hanging sh!t on some of the basics who turned up and ruined the atmosphere – which in itself was also very entertaining.

I saw Ray Lamontagne at the Corner recently, and as opposed to past gigs i had seen at the corner, he was very acoustic/mellow, like the church. i was up the front near the stage and couldn't hear the pub next door though.  :-\ maybe because it was a tuesday night and not as many bogans are out.

Yeah, if you are up the front at The Corner you wouldn't hear as much interference from the casuals.

At The Church concert, it wasn't the bar next door, but rather the bar at the back of the concert room where a heap of casuals had just drifted in and where more concerned about their mobile phones and talking about themselves and their meaningless activities to their friends. It was mostly chicks who were to blame.

Compounding matters was the fact that many people expected them to play a heap of their 80's hits and for it to be some sort of
revival show - something that happens at nearly every Church concert I've been to. In fact, they're cursed by their 80's success. They left a lot of that style and many of those popular songs 15 years ago but there's always these basic casuals who turn up and don't know jack about the group and just expect them to pull out all their old 80's stuff. Usually they are the drunk bogans yelling out "Unguarded Moment"..."Play Unguarded Moment"

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

Green Day were awesome

Imagine the Telstra Dome roof slowly opening to the 2001 Space Odyssey music

Kettle drums banging and brass playing

Then there stands Billy Joe, quietly surveying the scene, he stands there for what seems ages

Not quite sure of the order of things, my ears are still ringing

But they launch into American Idiot, with so much power and album like precision

He plays the crowd so well and we are lapping up every minute of it

Yes I believe my side of the crowd was much better at cheering to his cue than the other

I'm sure they thought the same, whatever he asked us to shout I would have gladly done ;D

He doesn't want to be an American Idiot himself and pronounces Melbourne like a local

Does a better Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi routine than the cricket

Very anti Conservative, especially George Bush

They must have got through the whole American Idiot album, as well as a lot of "classics"

Minority had me hoarse, Time of Your Life as a solo encore had a group of 40 000 back up singers

How does Mike Dirnt bang out bass riff after bass riff with such power for so long?

I used to get cramp after playing 2 songs

He and Tre Cool give so much power to Green Day's backbone

It was the last gig of the World tour and BJ said something like...

It was his *smile* stage and no one was going to get him off before he was ready

There is no way I'll ever miss out on the chance to see them again if they come back

I still feel thouroughly entertained and buzzing

Crystal

Tiger Champion
May 5, 2005
Sydney

Great rundown TC! Sounds like a monster night! Damn I wish I could have seen 'em. :'(

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

I was thinking of you knowing that you would have loved it

Gabi and her friends went right off, never stopped bouncing, pointing and cheering

They know the words to the album far better than I do

They all came prepared with the glow sticks etc

I had a much bigger red candle, which looked somewhat phallic :-[

But that didn't stop me thrusting it in the air all night ;D