Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

Re: Been to a good gig lately?

btw, love your avatar TGN!! :clap :clap They're such strange lookin' cats! :hihi

Just home from Simple Minds. It was a pretty good concert. The Astoria is a grotty venue - standing room up and downstairs it's been painted a number of shades of black and it's full of smoke, the smell of which was only removed temporarily by a rather flatulent punter in front of us. (Luckily there were no naked flames at the time.) However there's nothing wrong with a hot smelly and sweaty crowd at a rock concert. (Well maybe a bit less of the smelly.)

They did among many, Love Song, All the Things She Said, Waterfront, In Summer Time, Don't You Forget, Glittering Prize and Alive and Kicking all of which were brilliant. The whole Astoria was literally bouncing for Don’t You and Alive and Kicking, huge!

Offsetting the highlights were quite a few dead spots in the list – they started pretty slowly and the gap between their best and worst was a bit too large and too frequent as well. Having got the place rolling with Don’t You they then played a really atmospheric slow number then went off for an encore with the first two numbers also non-descript. Admittedly I am not a dyed in the wool fan but the crowd weren’t getting into them either. Then they were off for another encore and they banged in 3 great numbers finishing with A & K.

Kerr’s voice is still magnificent and he still has a lot of stage prescence, Burchill’s crystal clear guitar work is still unmistakably his own, and Gaynor is a powerhouse on drums (I thought under used although I would say that being a drummer myself). Love his drumming on Don't You.

Overall a good show but they could have been so much better with a less indulgent set list. The crowd were gagging for it!!

Great run down TGN, thanks!

I'd still love to see them live. I think I've said this before somewhere, but Kerr has such a unique voice and I think their musicianship has been unfairly underrated over the years.

Jeez the Astoria sounds like Black Prince 20 years ago!! >:D

I saw Status Quo & Deep Purple at the Hordern last night. They were fantastic!! We were 2 rows from the front and the place was going nuts! Status Quo were great, really tight and had heaps of energy. Deep Purple were great too, missed a few bum notes but overall a great gig. Play list went something like this:

Status Quo: - Roll Over Lay Down, Down Down, 4500 times, Caroline, Whatever You Want, Wild Side Of Life, Rocking All Over The World, Rain, Mystery Song, Don't Waste My Time, Again and Again, Break the Rules, Gerdundula, In My Chair?,

Deep Purple:- Strange kind of Woman?, Pictures of Home, Fireball, Lazy, Space Truckin', Highway Star, Smoke On the Water, Hush, Black Night with a wicked drum solo & double bass kick mid way!

I still can't hear a thing today, I'm completely deaf!!

Crystal said:
I saw Status Quo & Deep Purple at the Hordern last night. They were fantastic!! We were 2 rows from the front and the place was going nuts! Status Quo were great, really tight and had heaps of energy. Deep Purple were great too, missed a few bum notes but overall a great gig. Play list went something like this:

Status Quo: - Roll Over Lay Down, Down Down, 4500 times, Caroline, Whatever You Want, Wild Side Of Life, Rocking All Over The World, Rain, Mystery Song, Don't Waste My Time, Again and Again, Break the Rules, Gerdundula, In My Chair?,

Deep Purple:- Strange kind of Woman?, Pictures of Home, Fireball, Lazy, Space Truckin', Highway Star, Smoke On the Water, Hush, Black Night with a wicked drum solo & double bass kick mid way!

I still can't hear a thing today, I'm completely deaf!!

I see Quo have improved the old classic 45 Hundred Times. Or is this the A$ version?

:cutelaugh

That would've been a good gig to see Crystal! :)

I saw Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals last night and am lost for words!

Never have i seen such passion and intensity from an artist. He reached out and touched the entire arena with his music/lyrics. His call and response ability is second to none. His band 'the innocent criminals' were amazing and really got the crowd going. A night I'll never forget!

I too believe in a better way, brother :afro

Doolz85 said:
im so jealous you got tickets :'(

i missed out initially on general tickets (i wasn't interested in upper deck seats), then less than 2 weeks ago they released a further 200 general tickets so i got one! :)

i was right near the front (with 5 shorties in front of me), right in the middle 8)

so its been a big week for u otis, what with yr birthday, ben harper and the blindfold thing. :rofl

TigerGoneNorth said:
Crystal said:

I see Quo have improved the old classic 45 Hundred Times. Or is this the A$ version?

:cutelaugh

LOL!!!! Well the tickets were expensive!!!

Otis said:
I saw Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals last night and am lost for words!

Insanely jealous Otis!! I'd love to see him live. Sounds like a mindblower.

We don't get that many good gigs in Perth. Even the Perth bands move to the evil Eastern States. Lucky I have an impeccably programmed ipod.

Was lucky enough to see Richard Ashcroft and band a little while ago at Webster Hall in NY. Ashcroft was in fine form, and his voice really is a beautiful instrument. The songs seemed to be a reasonably balanced selection between his time with The Verve (mostly Urban Hymns), and also his solo work. Song highlights for me include:
- History
- Lucky Man
- Space in Time (acoustic with no backing band)
- Words just get in the Way (the new album)
- Break the night with colour (new album)
- Check the Meaning

Few things of note (as it was a few weeks ago):
- The vibe of the show was good,
- Pretty sure there was some wacky tabacky on stage. NY has very strict anti-smoking laws, and you could hear the gasps in the crowd as he lit up (now that’s REAL rock ‘n’ roll rebellion),
- He got really personal with the crowd, and told us why he had dropped off the face of the earth for a while – was battling depression, and as he sings “the (pharmaceutical) drugs don’t work”
- A few of the songs were crowd requests
- Whatever you think of Chris Martin (and Coldplay – I don’t like the stuff). Ashcroft was really appreciative to Martin getting his musical mojo back.

Oh man, now I REALLY want him to come to oz! That would've been some show, NYT. was it an even split between solo and Verve stuff, or more solo? Did he seem happy to play the Verve stuff? and one final q, was Keys To The World (the song) played and if so, how did it sound live?

It's nice that he mentioned Chris Martin, their performance together for Live 8 was simply awesome.

On an aside, I am praying that Snow Patrol play some solo shows when they come over here for Splendour. please please etc...

New York Tiger said:
Was lucky enough to see Richard Ashcroft and band a little while ago at Webster Hall in NY. Ashcroft was in fine form, and his voice really is a beautiful instrument. The songs seemed to be a reasonably balanced selection between his time with The Verve (mostly Urban Hymns), and also his solo work. Song highlights for me include:
- History
- Lucky Man
- Space in Time (acoustic with no backing band)
- Words just get in the Way (the new album)
- Break the night with colour (new album)
- Check the Meaning

Few things of note (as it was a few weeks ago):
- The vibe of the show was good,
- Pretty sure there was some wacky tabacky on stage. NY has very strict anti-smoking laws, and you could hear the gasps in the crowd as he lit up (now that’s REAL rock ‘n’ roll rebellion),
- He got really personal with the crowd, and told us why he had dropped off the face of the earth for a while – was battling depression, and as he sings “the (pharmaceutical) drugs don’t work”
- A few of the songs were crowd requests
- Whatever you think of Chris Martin (and Coldplay – I don’t like the stuff). Ashcroft was really appreciative to Martin getting his musical mojo back.

Wow NYT. What a great gig that would have been. I agree Ashcroft has a truly beautiful voice and is a remarkable lyricist. "The drugs don't work" is one of my all time fave Verve songs. Sounds like an intimate night.

skybeau said:
Oh man, now I REALLY want him to come to oz! That would've been some show, NYT. was it an even split between solo and Verve stuff, or more solo? Did he seem happy to play the Verve stuff? and one final q, was Keys To The World (the song) played and if so, how did it sound live?

It's nice that he mentioned Chris Martin, their performance together for Live 8 was simply awesome.

On an aside, I am praying that Snow Patrol play some solo shows when they come over here for Splendour. please please etc...

Evenly splir Sky. all Verve songs bar one (History) was from Urban hymns. He seems tio understand and s happy (from the show) what Urban Hymns means to so many people. Keys to the world - In all honesty I can't remember him playing Keys to the world..

Crystal said:
Wow NYT. What a great gig that would have been. I agree Ashcroft has a truly beautiful voice and is a remarkable lyricist. "The drugs don't work" is one of my all time fave Verve songs. Sounds like an intimate night.

Webster Hall is reasonably small - from memory roughly the size of the palace in St. Kilda - but with great acoustics.

Great stuff NYT. He's gt a great voice. Urban Hymns is one of my favourite albums.

im still waiting for TISM to reappear....anyone know where the hell these guys have gone?? As they say 40yrs then death so im guessing............. probably dead!

tha8ball said:
im still waiting for TISM to reappear....anyone know where the hell these guys have gone?? As they say 40yrs then death so im guessing............. probably dead!

I've been waiting too man, lol

I'm pretty sure I went to their last gig which was over 2 years ago... although they did perform at earthcore too which i obviously didn't go to.

eight ace said:
We don't get that many good gigs in Perth.

Gyroscope?
End of Fashion?
Little Birdy?
Panda Band?

The perth music scene is one of the best in australia!
You wanna see a lack of good shows, move to canberra.