Beer and Wine Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beer and Wine Thread

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
evo said:
I brew all grain beer from scratch now. The same way the micro brewies do it. Have a system identical to this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu74zOFMu-g&list=PL8tv8sGR7tV4h2G-N9FBnGAK9gm0rmJ2M

And have a bar like this from a converted freezer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWy_Vlw3J4

Can make a keg of really nice beer for abut $15

Nice work. Been thinking of firing up my all grain system lately, haven't brewed for a few years.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
mld said:
Nice work. Been thinking of firing up my all grain system lately, haven't brewed for a few years.

what do you mash in, an esky?

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
evo said:
what do you mash in, an esky?

Yep, I'm pretty low tech. At the moment it is a 20 L cylindrical one that I started out with, the larger rectangular one I was using started to crack in the plastic around where the outlet went through.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Loving the James Squires Pale Ale atm.

Looking forward to summer to hit the Corona/lime combo.

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Michael said:
Length
Often with some wines (high in alcohol or tannins) they have an initial hit of flavour and make a big impression then as the wine passes across your tongue and down your throat this flavour disappears or doesnt develop at all. So a wine with "length" refers to a wine that develops the flavour over the full journey across your tongue and down your throat.

Sometimes you find a wine that tastes great on the first mouthfull and then after a couple of glasses it's not so interesting....often an indication that it lacks length

Does this work with beer?
I always find that after the first big gulp does down the throat, the aroma and taste of my beer burp is always quite constant no matter what I'm brand I'm drinking.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Like nearly all beers that we get here now its brewed in Asia. :'( Nowhere near the same for leysy.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
I tried that Hoegaarden White Beer for the first time(before I broke my ankle) and it was magnificent.

TRied also Moo Broo DArk ale-Tassie drop tastes like chocolate lovely.
Hip Hog Ferral IPA Ale-very nice indeed.

Have 5 Mountain Goat Steam Ales in the fridge but can't drink em.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
evo said:
yeah, it's great.

Some guys have up to 8 taps. Mine only has two.

8 taps !!!!! That would suggest 8 different beers, 8 kegs. Bloody big freezer
That wouldn't go down well with the boss........and where do you think you are got to put that great big freezer?

I have enough trouble keeping the mineral water, tubs of yoghurt and champagne out of the beer fridge.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
They do get pretty elaborate. The kegs are those 19litre post mix kegs so you can fit quite a few in. Once these dudes go the super systems they usually use the display fridges.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/9/3/6/8/3/webimg/575595002_o.jpg

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
evo said:
They do get pretty elaborate. The kegs are those 19litre post mix kegs so you can fit quite a few in. Once these dudes go the super systems they usually use the display fridges.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/9/3/6/8/3/webimg/575595002_o.jpg

Bloody Hell
How do you get the taps through the glass door merchandiser?

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Run the hoses through the back then have a tap font on your bar.

Here ya go mate. 130 pages of Aussies bragging about their keg systems. ;D

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/235-kegging-setups/

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
I think there is a bar in Rathdowne St Carlton(yes I know)The Great North that has all the Aussie craft beers on tap.
Must get down there in Summer.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
smasha said:
I think there is a bar in Rathdowne St Carlton(yes I know)The Great North that has all the Aussie craft beers on tap.

"Don't hold back" Smash. :beer
(major sponsor's theme) ;D

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
smasha said:

The Great Northern always has a stellar line up on tap, including hand pumped ales and often some fine American craft beer as well, always worth a visit.