Beer and Wine Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beer and Wine Thread

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Dan's have a few decent American beers in stock at the moment, at pretty decent prices. My pick at the moment is the Magic Hat #9, a pretty unique beer.

On the wine front, I've found the Moulin de Gassac Guilhem red to be a great every day wine.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Tried the Williams pale ale tonight. Must say I wasn't that impressed given the marketing campaign they have been running for the past 12 months.

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
mld said:
Dan's are stocking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. For those that like Little Creatures Pale Ale, SNPA is the beer it is based on. Well worth a drink.

Bought a 6 pack of these from Vintage Cellars for $19.99 last Fri. Lovely drop, beers 3 & 4 definitley the pick of the 6.

TIGEREXTRA

Tiger Legend
Jun 20, 2004
Melbourne
I purchased a COOPERS home brewery kit a couple of months ago.

I love it, I have now produced five different brews.

Great fun to make and the beer tastes very nice!

Good way to save on money if you are a regular drinker. ;D

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Swan Brewery to close, and import its West Strayan beer from Adelaide. I'm sure this will go down well with the locals.

Swan made at West End. Is this a match made in hell?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I shared a bottle of 2005 Peter Lehman Cab Merlot (I think) the other night. Smoooooooooooooth.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Suggestions would be appreciated in regard to buying wine as a gift.

I want to give two friends a bottle of wine and a scratchie as a thank you for a favour done. It's just a token so I'd like the wine to be under $20. I found out the lady likes Moscato. I've never tried it but a search shows it's a sweet white wine so that should be easy enough.

The bloke likes red wine. Problem is I'm not a red wine drinker and don't know what kind. Can anyone tell me what would be a safe enough bet so that even if it's not a favourite it wouldn't be too offensive?

Ta :help

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
spook said:
I shared a bottle of 2005 Peter Lehman Cab Merlot (I think) the other night. Smoooooooooooooth.

Cant go wrong with Peter Lehmans Spookster.

Lehmans is the safe choice that you know will impress when buying it for a prezzie or bringing it along to the dinner party.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ta craigybabes. I'm limited to our local supermarket bottle shop so will have a look tomorrow.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
I'm a big fan of the central otago Pinot noir.

Found an absolute ripper, Lowburn Ferry

Bigger than pintos from the yarra valley, morning ton, Bellarine etc.
Dark colour, fantastic length

Currently drinking 2009, brilliant wine

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
I brew all grain beer from scratch now. The same way the micro brewies do it. Have a system identical to this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu74zOFMu-g&list=PL8tv8sGR7tV4h2G-N9FBnGAK9gm0rmJ2M

And have a bar like this from a converted freezer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWy_Vlw3J4

Can make a keg of really nice beer for abut $15

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
rosy23 said:
What does that mean in English?

Length
Often with some wines (high in alcohol or tannins) they have an initial hit of flavour and make a big impression then as the wine passes across your tongue and down your throat this flavour disappears or doesnt develop at all. So a wine with "length" refers to a wine that develops the flavour over the full journey across your tongue and down your throat.

Sometimes you find a wine that tastes great on the first mouthfull and then after a couple of glasses it's not so interesting....often an indication that it lacks length

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
evo said:
I brew all grain beer from scratch now. The same way the micro brewies do it. Have a system identical to this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu74zOFMu-g&list=PL8tv8sGR7tV4h2G-N9FBnGAK9gm0rmJ2M

And have a bar like this from a converted freezer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWy_Vlw3J4

Can make a keg of really nice beer for abut $15

Love the Keezer