Benny "Nostradamus" Gale | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Benny "Nostradamus" Gale

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
You need great people.
A coach.
Leaders.
Ceo, Board, President

All on the same page.
Great things can be accomplished.
I am pretty sure that Benny introduced the classic planning mechanisms around that time which were being taught in MBAs and the like. Every key element of the organisation had a set of actions and KPIs aligned with the goals of the club and were measured against them which the plan said would lead to 3-0-75 and included everyone from administration, funding, marketing to the football department, recruiting, development etc.
The strength of that process is that everyone knows what their goals are and what they are expected to do.
The missing link was probably the soft stuff, the connection between players and the cultural part which we have now nailed.
He built the foundations of a great club and then empowered the individuals and that relies on having great people. In the end we had the right coach and the right skipper for that last piece to be achieved.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I am pretty sure that Benny introduced the classic planning mechanisms around that time which were being taught in MBAs and the like. Every key element of the organisation had a set of actions and KPIs aligned with the goals of the club and were measured against them which the plan said would lead to 3-0-75 and included everyone from administration, funding, marketing to the football department, recruiting, development etc.
The strength of that process is that everyone knows what their goals are and what they are expected to do.
The missing link was probably the soft stuff, the connection between players and the cultural part which we have now nailed.
He built the foundations of a great club and then empowered the individuals and that relies on having great people. In the end we had the right coach and the right skipper for that last piece to be achieved.
Well written Sin.

tommygun

1st of many
Aug 24, 2011
Caroline Springs
Irony is that if Benny set out today another aspirational plan, with a similar monumental step-change in the clubs position - there would be howls of protest and AFL rule changes to drag down the richmond-juggernaut!

Unfortunately it probably is time for Benny to move onto bigger and better things (eg AFL CEO), as one could say given his achievements his talent is being wasted.
I totally agree.
but can’t we be selfish a bit and keep him at punt rd?

Reactions: 1 user

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Who would have thought, aligned cross functional kpis toward a common objective would work...

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
"It wasn't until we took full responsibility for the situation we found ourselves in that we would be empowered to move forward"

There is some lessons for other clubs right there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
"It wasn't until we took full responsibility for the situation we found ourselves in that we would be empowered to move forward"

There us some lessons for other clubs right there.
Not all the other clubs ‘have true buy in’.

Though some are slowly building.
This reign we have .. has it got another flag in it????

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

There us some lessons for other clubs right there.
Recalls the heroically stoic quote from 2010:

"We're not seeking any special assistance at all. We haven't and won't. If we have a mantra between the senior people here, it is we take responsibility for the situation we are in right now. It's not about looking back, blaming people and making excuses. Once we take full responsibility, then we can take full responsibility for getting ourselves out if it."

- Gale at 0-6

Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Caro said yesterday she believed Benny is the frontrunner for AFL CEO. I've got mixed feelings, nothing lasts forever, he'd leave us in good shape, and he'd reform what a stale nepotistic AFL which would be massively good for the game. But I'd hate to lose him.

Reactions: 9 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Caro said yesterday she believed Benny is the frontrunner for AFL CEO. I've got mixed feelings, nothing lasts forever, he'd leave us in good shape, and he'd reform what a stale nepotistic AFL which would be massively good for the game. But I'd hate to lose him.

i'd rather keep him

I wonder if another flag is driving him - it would certainly put the club in rarified air.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I'd hate to lose him too, but prefer to lose him than the game. Big picture hat on with this one I think. We need a football man in charge and we need to give him a chance to clean out the dead wood and start engaging with fans again. The AFL continues in their pivot away from what the fans want, but keep trying to tell us "what we want". Only change will enble them to re-engage and actually listen to what fans want again. I think Gale is the man. Big loss for Richmond especially if he leaves at the same time as Peggy, huge power vacuum at the club but I think it needs to be done unfortunately or the game will die if it keeps on its current path.

Reactions: 9 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'd hate to lose him too, but prefer to lose him than the game. Big picture hat on with this one I think. We need a football man in charge and we need to give him a chance to clean out the dead wood and start engaging with fans again. The AFL continues in their pivot away from what the fans want, but keep trying to tell us "what we want". Only change will enble them to re-engage and actually listen to what fans want again. I think Gale is the man. Big loss for Richmond especially if he leaves at the same time as Peggy, huge power vacuum at the club but I think it needs to be done unfortunately or the game will die if it keeps on its current path.
Yes, provided we can find a capable replacement who will continue Benny's work, I think this is where I am.

Maybe. Can we clone him?

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yes, provided we can find a capable replacement who will continue Benny's work, I think this is where I am.

Maybe. Can we clone him?

If we can, we also need to clone Shai, Dusty, Gibcus and Balta whilst we are there.

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

Reckon the AFL HQ is more treacherous than any parliament house in the country.

Too many people with overly well paid positions out to protect their patch of territory...... guaranteed he'll be white-anted by the remnants of the Demetriou/McLachlan era.

Hope he doesn't go there for his own sake and ours..... on an absolute hiding to nothing!

Reactions: 3 users