Benny "Nostradamus" Gale | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Benny "Nostradamus" Gale

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'm glad someone else mentioned this lest I be labelled a contrarian but it is on a Steve Waugh level of history rewriting.

The 3-0-75 was part of the 'Winning Together' launch in 2010 and referred to 3 finals appearances, including one top four finish by 2014, 0 debt and 75k members by 2014. Then more broadly the launch mentioned the aim to have 13 flags by 2020.

The last part is the obviously most important and a huge tick but the 3-0-75 was actually more miss than hit.

We didn't make the finals three time or finish in the top four and we only achieved 66,122 members in 2014. It took us until 2015 to make the third finals appearance and 2017 to make the top 4, and until 2017 to hit the 75k membership.

So of the 3-0-75 the only tick was the debt eradication that came in 2013 and that came about because the Tiger Army kicked in 6 million dollars in FTF money and I'm not sure anyone can take credit for that outside the army members.

He's a great CEO but the legend has grown way larger than the reality on this one.
Pretty sure Benny mentioned in an interview somewhere ( when many were taking the *smile* out of his bold plans ) that the whole thing was pretty much an aspirational challenge. Also the only actual five year plan that had ever been set out for the club, he'd searched n never been able to locate any trace of one.

Plan out what you want to do and how you want to go about getting things done then set the bar as high as you can n try your best to reach it. As the old saying goes, anyone can achieve mediocrity.

Benny set the bar high n plenty laughed at him at the time. Reckon Benny would be quietly sittin back choofin a fat cigar n sippin a good cognac over summer just chortling over how well it's gone.

Reactions: 5 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I'm glad someone else mentioned this lest I be labelled a contrarian but it is on a Steve Waugh level of history rewriting.

The 3-0-75 was part of the 'Winning Together' launch in 2010 and referred to 3 finals appearances, including one top four finish by 2014, 0 debt and 75k members by 2014. Then more broadly the launch mentioned the aim to have 13 flags by 2020.

The last part is the obviously most important and a huge tick but the 3-0-75 was actually more miss than hit.

We didn't make the finals three time or finish in the top four and we only achieved 66,122 members in 2014. It took us until 2015 to make the third finals appearance and 2017 to make the top 4, and until 2017 to hit the 75k membership.

So of the 3-0-75 the only tick was the debt eradication that came in 2013 and that came about because the Tiger Army kicked in 6 million dollars in FTF money and I'm not sure anyone can take credit for that outside the army members.

He's a great CEO but the legend has grown way larger than the reality on this one.
Show me on this doll where they touched you.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

C'mon @The Big Richo ... let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story:cool:

Meanwhile over at Collingwood all is going to plan....
3... failed finals series
0..... in the salary cap
75k.... and going backwards in membership.

Happy days!

• Haha

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I don’t think Benny will get another look under the current AFL regime....pretty sure he knocked back the initial chat...
And as some high n mightys might say to the recipient... “I only offer my hand once...”

Reactions: 1 user

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I don’t think Benny will get another look under the current AFL regime....pretty sure he knocked back the initial chat...
And as some high n mightys might say to the recipient... “I only offer my hand once...”
Benny is many things, but dumb is not one of them. He knew, he knew that Gil was the preferred choice. And that he was making up the numbers so the AFL could suggest it was a fair and open recruitment process. He knew I think.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Actually I read that situation differently.... I believe at the time Brendon said he was asked to go through the process by members of the commission, which I think he did, whilst also acknowledging that the position was always going to be McLaughlins.

I'm glad he's still with us through the toughest of times.

Putting aside my distaste for head office... we don't win the flag this year without McLachlan and co getting us to the end, so credit where it's due.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, lots of confusion over the 3-0-75, I always understood it as 3 finals, 0 debt and 75k members. Even that was an aspirational goal back in 2010, what a state we were in back then!

He missed that but had set the club on the path to achieving it. You set aspirational goals, if you miss you look at whether you are getting towards it and look at how you can get there.

The 3 flags by 2020 was always a goal which was way out there - an aspiration they likely never thought was probable, but was possible with a best case scenario. The fact they got this and more members, plus financial strength, not just stability, is a wonderful achievement.

Yes it was the supporters who funded getting rid of the debt, but the club had to convince everyone that this was not another false dawn and it was worth putting in to support the club.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I can remember when he said it , the zero debt and the 75 K members I thought was a realistic goal to strive for ,

But the 3 premierships sounded like pure fantasy stuff , and i almost felt embarrassed he went that far

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Quite interesting this thread from Bigfooty

No one outside the most optimistic Richmond supporter gave the plan a chance

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading indeed!

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Actually I read that situation differently.... I believe at the time Brendon said he was asked to go through the process by members of the commission, which I think he did, whilst also acknowledging that the position was always going to be McLaughlins.

I'm glad he's still with us through the toughest of times.

Putting aside my distaste for head office... we don't win the flag this year without McLachlan and co getting us to the end, so credit where it's due.
Agree. Gill and Co were forced to act like high level business execs for the first time rather than social engineering flights of fancy. Collapsing revenue, clubs in risk of folding etc..they did a cracking job.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I can remember when he said it , the zero debt and the 75 K members I thought was a realistic goal to strive for ,

But the 3 premierships sounded like pure fantasy stuff , and i almost felt embarrassed he went that far
Was privy to some internal research from the club around this time. It confirmed that we had a massive supporter base, equal to or greater than Pies but massive disconnect between club and fans. Summary was the club was wandering with no defined goal, happy in mediocrity but to activate these fans wouldn’t be too difficult. 3-0-75 was the first step. Benny’s job prior COVID was fairly easy in comparison to what he planned and executed back in 2010. Best CEO in the AFL by a long way

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

I enjoy going back to that thread from time to time. We have caused minds to explode.

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
If my memory serves me correctly, when Benny first got recruited by the Tigers, coach KB agreed to let Benny sit out his first year or so to finish University.
That has really paid dividends way down the track.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Can't recall seeing this before, tho I torched whatever brain cells remained post 2017 so who knows.
If nothing else, it goes to show if you put a plan in place and stick to it.... great things can happen!

Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Can't recall seeing this before, tho I torched whatever brain cells remained post 2017 so who knows.
If nothing else, it goes to show if you put a plan in place and stick to it.... great things can happen!

You need great people.
A coach.
Leaders.
Ceo, Board, President

All on the same page.
Great things can be accomplished.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Can’t wait for his next 10 year plan
Irony is that if Benny set out today another aspirational plan, with a similar monumental step-change in the clubs position - there would be howls of protest and AFL rule changes to drag down the richmond-juggernaut!

Unfortunately it probably is time for Benny to move onto bigger and better things (eg AFL CEO), as one could say given his achievements his talent is being wasted.