Brett Deledio (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Deledio (merged)

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
tigers80 said:
What's with all tissues for Brett.

No tissues. I sort of feel guilty though.
Grand Final, two draft picks, and he spent 2017 injured.
Amazing player and champion of the club and he can come back when he hangs up the boots (like many champions do), but lets be honest as a club we have absolutely cleaned up.
This deal compares well to the Hawthorn ones.

Now all we have to do is honour his memory and choose ten year players with those picks as his final legacy to RFC's success.

Wonderful servant of the club Brett Delidio.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Wouldn't boo him, but once a player willingly leaves the Tigers for another club I couldn't care less about them. I hope they fail along with their new team. It's Richmond or nothing.

If they return post career I will treat them with respect and as a brother.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
tigertim said:
Was glad they played him AND Steve J.

Absolutely. It was going to be all about speed, both physical and in mind, and unfortunately for those two boys they've lost a lot of that in their twilight years.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
tommystigers said:
Wouldn't boo him, but once a player willingly leaves the Tigers for another club I couldn't care less about them. I hope they fail along with their new team. It's Richmond or nothing.

Same here.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Tigers of Old said:
For all his skills, Lids has never in his career gone at the football like Cotch does.
There in lies the difference.

Yep.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
One of the best trades we have made along with Vickery! Bloke is a pretender. Never stood up for us in big games and again showed it yesterday. Was on massive dollars for many years at Richmond and when we looked down and out he decided to leave so he can play in a grand final. Guess what figjam, you chose wrong. Him and Treloar can get stuffed.

Go Tigers!!!!

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
I've nothing against Lids but I did mention a while ago I thought it would be unfair to play Lids in the finals if he'd only played a couple of games during the year, potentially in the place of someone who'd busted their gut all year and got the team into the finals in the first place.

This is what happens when you pick players by reputation than performance. It would be interesting to see what the GWS supporter thinks about this and whether or not he/she thinks GWS had better players than Lids who were left out.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Great player for the club through many lean years but his best is way past him - for once the Tigers have done well from the trade as long as we use those picks wisely - time will tell.

We didn't miss him last night - I didn't boo him but was pleased he didn't play well against us.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I didn't boo him, he gave his all for us for 12 years.
He certainly didn't have his old speed, looked a little bit underdone.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
My understanding is, Deledio didn't want to leave but the club exited him.
To be punted by your family club where you've been since 17, and get booed by your own (previous) supporters is pretty unfair.
On a cold note: I'll add that the trade was ruthless and looked after the best interests of the club first. It had Graeme Richmond all over it, and I reckon wasn't overseen by the person in charge of the Yarran deal.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
DirtyDogTiger said:
To be punted by your family club where you've been since 17, and get booed by your own (previous) supporters is pretty unfair.
On a cold note: I'll add that the trade was ruthless and looked after the best interests of the club first. It had Graeme Richmond all over it, and I reckon wasn't overseen by the person in charge of the Yarran deal.

I'm pretty sure the club got wind that Lids' manager had approached the Cats about a trade and we weren't too fussed. But Lids' camp made the first move.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
year of the tiger said:
Great player for the club through many lean years but his best is way past him - for once the Tigers have done well from the trade as long as we use those picks wisely - time will tell.

We didn't miss him last night - I didn't boo him but was pleased he didn't play well against us.

My thoughts too. He may still be a player if he can regain full fitness. May be doubtful.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
DirtyDogTiger said:

Your understanding of the trade is wrong

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/neil-balme-reveals-why-richmond-traded-brett-deledio-to-gws-giants/news-story/c4af5a7ddbfed75603ddd257c6961254

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I felt a bit for Lids. I dkn't tnink his heart was really in it yesterday. We'll never know the true details of that trade, but he did guve us everything fir 243 games.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Can’t comprehend how far he has dropped off. Looked a shell of the footballer we loved.

Outstanding trade by the club.