Brett Deledio (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Deledio (merged)

Deledio was very unlucky in that his body started to really let him down at a relatively young age. He played his first game of course at just 17 and appeared to have the physique of a 25 year old at the time. For me the thing that really stood out in his early games was his great speed and long kicking. Looked like being a future super star and a 300 plus game player. He had incredible durability in his first 8 seasons and only missed 2 games. Maybe starting his career at such a young age was a real factor in him getting injury prone in just his late twenties. I remember Tim Watson, who started playing at just 15, was really struggling physically by his late twenties. I wouldn't be surprised if Deledio admitted that his AFL career didn't reach the great heights that it potentially could have done given what he showed in his first few years. Hopefully Hawthorn can weave their magic and get Deledio over his calf muscle gremlins so that he can have an injury free season in the VFL.

Reactions: 1 user
It's the old success having a 1000 fathers thing I reckon UK.

There were plenty of whispers that Cotchin and his Mrs were difficult over the years but now he is seen as the oracle of all leadership. I reckon if Deledio played in the 2017 flag he would be lauded as well.

A rising tide lifts all boats is truer in football than anywhere else. Was Mick Malthouse really a supercoach with West Coast and Collingwood and then hopeless with Carlton?

Was Denis Pagan really supreme at bringing young player through from the under 19s into premiership sides at North Melbourne, but incapable of it at Carlton?

Was Greg Miller the most astute footy boss of all time who could find players like Carey and Longmire when no-one else could at North and then a basket case at Richmond?

Is Terry Wallace a coach who was capable of doing great things with the Bulldogs or a coach who was inept at Richmond?

Are O'Neal, Balme, Gale, Hardwick etc that much better than everyone else that ran Richmond previously or any other club currently?

For what it's worth I think the answer is mostly pure luck.

We were lucky that we stayed healthy, players we drafted developed into great players all over the ground, we were in the right place at the right time to snare some great players via free agency, and Dustin produced one of the great seasons of all time which helped instil confidence and belief amongst the entire team.

On the back of that, everybody looks great and everything they touch turns to gold but I reckon deep down not even the people involved could explain the difference between success and failure.
So it's all been just pure arse n flukes ever since people got up on their hind legs n started running around?

There's probably hundreds if not thousands of small and varying components to being successful at anything, whether it be sport, business, or simply life in general. Reckon you might find that those who plan carefully, work hard and pay close attention to all or at least as many of the small aspects of what they are doing are generally more successful than people who cross their fingers, rub the rabbits foot n pray a bit. Unless of course it's a lotto win we're hoping for.
There's always a hint of luck to everything, but when things are well managed, co-ordinated n done carefully with proper thought n future planning then luck almost becomes irrelevant. It's generally called making your own luck.

Reactions: 4 users

There were plenty of whispers that Cotchin and his Mrs were difficult over the years but now he is seen as the oracle of all leadership. I reckon if Deledio played in the 2017 flag he would be lauded as well.

A rising tide lifts all boats is truer in football than anywhere else. Was Mick Malthouse really a supercoach with West Coast and Collingwood and then hopeless with Carlton?

Was Denis Pagan really supreme at bringing young player through from the under 19s into premiership sides at North Melbourne, but incapable of it at Carlton?

Was Greg Miller the most astute footy boss of all time who could find players like Carey and Longmire when no-one else could at North and then a basket case at Richmond?

Is Terry Wallace a coach who was capable of doing great things with the Bulldogs or a coach who was inept at Richmond?

Are O'Neal, Balme, Gale, Hardwick etc that much better than everyone else that ran Richmond previously or any other club currently?

We were lucky that we stayed healthy, players we drafted developed into great players all over the ground, we were in the right place at the right time to snare some great players via free agency, and Dustin produced one of the great seasons of all time which helped instil confidence and belief amongst the entire team.

On the back of that, everybody looks great and everything they touch turns to gold but I reckon deep down not even the people involved could explain the difference between success and failure.

I agree with the notion that success has 1,000 parents, but, while luck is involved, I reckon there is a fair bit of hard work and good work.

I remember many years ago wondering how Essendon used to find lots of young talented players who would come through and be good at AFL level while Richmond had many young hopes who went nowhere. Luck? I think not. The facilities, the coaching staff, the club culture, these things matter and make a big difference. The best example wears 44 at Richmond today. Clearly Stack has plenty of talent, but I don't think he would have made it at any club - only at clubs that can give him an environment he can thrive in.

This is just one example of the many pieces of the puzzle that clubs do have control over which can make a big difference.

Many people said we were lucky with injuries in 2017 and it contributed to winning the flag, and a fair comment that is. But in 2019, what's the comment on this year? I've heard it said that because of our injuries we had the luck to have players fresh at the right time of the year. So many players who were not hammered from a whole season because they had games off earlier in the year due to injury. So, we're lucky when we don't get injuries and lucky when we do? Sorry, I don't buy that, it isn't luck that allows Richmond to win a flag with no injuries and a lot of players having 24 games in a row prior to the Grand Final in 2017, and survive a lot of injuries in 2019 and still win. It is mainly good management, with a little luck thrown in (you always need some!).

Back to Delidio: if we were more successful, if we had better facilities and staff when he was young, could he have been fitter for longer? Who knows, but I reckon it might have helped. I agree he would likely have been different to what some of the rumours say, had he been at Richmond in 2017 when the culture had improved.

So, yeah, there's luck, and that's one of those things we can't control, but there is also good management, that we can control.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

The harder and smarter we work, the luckier we get. I don't put it down to luck but luck is always one factor among many.

Look at what we did. Moneyball recruitment of Nank, Caddy, and one big fish in Prestia. Not luck.

Keeping all our guns on the park in 2017. Good strength/injury management mostly, with luck a factor for sure.

Replacing assistant coaches and keeping dimma on for 2017. Definitely good management - the board and Benny knew that replacing Dimma probably meant a rebuild.

New system based approach not reliant on key players performing. Definitely great management, not luck.

Etc etc etc

Reactions: 6 users
Lids wants to make a comeback with a third club if lists are lengthened for the remainder of 2020.

I am indeed.....KFC for dinner, right?

Oh, I was thinking about getting naked and lying on a piece of plastic and cover my self in oil and roll around on the it while I squirt cream into my openings.

Each to there own I guess.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Oh, I was thinking about getting naked and lying on a piece of plastic and cover my self in oil and roll around on the it while I squirt cream into my openings.

Each to there own I guess.
You had to take it too far didn't you. ;)

Well if you think that's taking it too far then I certainly aiint tellin what I was considerig :))

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I can't imagine another club wanting the medical expenses involved in having Lids on their list. He'd be better served staying home with the misses and conjuring up a son

I can't imagine another club wanting the medical expenses involved in having Lids on their list. He'd be better served staying home with the misses and conjuring up a son

And then selecting GWS as his preferred destination

• Haha
I wonder if GWS regretted their decision to trade for him, or were shitty with Richmond for trading a beaten-up BMW?

I wonder if GWS regretted their decision to trade for him, or were shitty with Richmond for trading a beaten-up BMW?

Reckon they regret Saturday September 28, 2019 more than anything else.

And you can now back it in that we wont be getting any sweetheart deals on trades for a few years to come from them.

Doesnt matter tho as the RFC is getting a great run out of the Suns anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
Reckon they regret Saturday September 28, 2019 more than anything else.

And you can now back it in that we wont be getting any sweetheart deals on trades for a few years to come from them.

Doesnt matter tho as the RFC is getting a great run out of the Suns anyways.
The suns are our feeder club