Brett Ratten sacked | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Ratten sacked

AFL funded clubs have to get approval for any coaching contracts over $215k. Makes the Ratten sacking worse- his ability to find a good assistant job will be reduced as clubs would already have their coaches lined up. he will be paid until April next year, but then may not be able to find a good job inside football until the end of next year.

The new AFL rule stipulates that every contract exceeding $215,000 struck with coaches and staff at debt-ridden and AFL-assisted clubs must be approved by Auld and include a settlement of no more than six months.

Which pretty much means they have to get approval for their coach given none of them would be on less than 215k.

Would be interesting to test that, like if Lyon refuses that clause will the AFL tell St Kilda they can't sign him?

Thank God they actually woke up once the "Focus on Football" crew came along. Probably got us balmy and he rest is history.
I have just read the Neil Balme book and both Benny Gale and Balmey dispute that Focus on Football got him to the club. Balme was essentially already signed up before FOF was even heard of because of Eddie's underhand arrangements getting Gubby Allen in.
Balme said he advised Bruce Monteith on some football matters because they were old friends but that his return to Punt Road was already agreed between him and Benny Gale.
The interesting thing is that he almost came back to us around 2012-13 and was willing to come but Gary March said no because we had just appointed Dan Richardson.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
We could certainly have used the Subiaco Superman in 2012.

You'd think the Saints would have learned from Carlton's experience of sacking Ratten.

Reactions: 1 users
Can’t believe I haven’t read a Ratsak pun yet.
Folks around here are slipping big time.

I have just read the Neil Balme book and both Benny Gale and Balmey dispute that Focus on Football got him to the club. Balme was essentially already signed up before FOF was even heard of because of Eddie's underhand arrangements getting Gubby Allen in.
Balme said he advised Bruce Monteith on some football matters because they were old friends but that his return to Punt Road was already agreed between him and Benny Gale.
The interesting thing is that he almost came back to us around 2012-13 and was willing to come but Gary March said no because we had just appointed Dan Richardson.
I remember years ago when Balme was at Geelong and they were a powerhouse, he used to go on KB s show on a Friday morning on Sen .

Kb asked him randomly one morning, would you ever return to Richmond, and he said diplomatically, to return to the club where it all began is something I do find appealing, yes I would , when the time is right .

I remember thinking there is hope for us .

Reactions: 3 users
I haven’t read the book yet, but I always thought that the catalyst for Balme leaving Collingwood and coming to the Tigers was Eddie appointing Gubby Allen to Balme’s job and wanting to shunt Neil into some nebulous concept position. Our board saw this and pounced and gazumped FoF.

Reactions: 3 users
I haven’t read the book yet, but I always thought that the catalyst for Balme leaving Collingwood and coming to the Tigers was Eddie appointing Gubby Allen to Balme’s job and wanting to shunt Neil into some nebulous concept position. Our board saw this and pounced and gazumped FoF.
It’s a really interesting book. What stood out to me is that so many people couldn’t quite work out what he did as a football manager but everyone said he was incredibly effective at it !
He had a fraught relationship with Malthouse and a stormy relationship with Eddie but in both cases it was because he believed they needed all the credit for everything and were control freaks. He speaks highly of Buckley btw and he went back to the Pies because of him and the reason he left Geelong was partly because of the travel but because he knew SHocking was ready to do the job.
There is a really interesting story in the book about the pre season meeting with the umpires in 2017. They turned up expecting to just brief the club on the rules and the meeting started with a 20 minute diatribe from Balmey about the terrible state of umpiring. It was noted that we have been last in free kick differential ever since :ROFLMAO:
Well worth the read

Obviously should be on another thread but speaking of Dan Richardson makes me think would the AFL be dumb enough to promote him to footy ops boss?

Most would say nah.. no effn way.... but, having discovered that the bloke who couldn't count at Collingwood, Ned Guy.... is in charge of making sure every club's TPP are kosher... has me thinking anything is possible with them clowns!

I remember years ago when Balme was at Geelong and they were a powerhouse, he used to go on KB s show on a Friday morning on Sen .

Kb asked him randomly one morning, would you ever return to Richmond, and he said diplomatically, to return to the club where it all began is something I do find appealing, yes I would , when the time is right .

I remember thinking there is hope for us .
Balmey was the Catalyst no doubt in my mind.

Browneye saying it's unofficially a done deal.

Poor Ratts. Feel for this bloke.

There is a really interesting story in the book about the pre season meeting with the umpires in 2017. They turned up expecting to just brief the club on the rules and the meeting started with a 20 minute diatribe from Balmey about the terrible state of umpiring. It was noted that we have been last in free kick differential ever since :ROFLMAO:
And that's when our flag run started. Free kicks or not. Go figure.

Browneye saying it's unofficially a done deal.

Poor Ratts. Feel for this bloke.
Nice and respectful of the Saints to run a proper process and leave everyone in no doubt that after an exhaustive search they've narrowed the candidates down to a short-list.
Seriously the suspense is doing my head in.

• Haha
Me too, but he's better off out of that rats nest. What a disgusting way to do things.
It'll be interesting to see if Wossy uses a more pro-active game plan now instead of his old dinosaur defence boredom. This is what some Aints supporters are worried about.