Brett Ratten sacked | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Ratten sacked

It’ll be interesting how Lyon goes with st Kildas very average list. Traditionally he likes to top up with mature aged bodies. I just can’t see how this ends well.

Reactions: 1 user
Just listened to Ernie Merrick who apparently had a back-row seat to the goings on down at the Saints this year. .... some type of advisory role to Ratten... in the box, match days etc etc.

Not a huge fan of the president. .... Bomber Thompson had Frank Costa..... Damien Hardwick had Peggy O'Neal...... whackity, whack, whack.... Basically called the board a bunch of *smile* knuckleheads!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Always felt they had to have something lined up to move on Ratten like they did.

As much as I feel for Ratten and find the ruthlessness unpalatable, they've done very well in the end.

Lyon is definitely the best coach available and will slip straight into the top echelon of coaches in the league. He is ruthless in demanding elite standards and has a track record of getting them.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Always felt they had to have something lined up to move on Ratten like they did.

As much as I feel for Ratten and find the ruthlessness unpalatable, they've done very well in the end.

Lyon is definitely the best coach available and will slip straight into the top echelon of coaches in the league. He is ruthless in demanding elite standards and has a track record of getting them.
Or it could go tits up real quick :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

I reckon Lyon knew weeks ago and why he didn't entertain the Essendon job at all

I think they'll be ok.

A coach with his profile will get his way and the administrators will either get in step or get run over.
Yep.... next time there's a whiff of trouble at least him and his CEO will know how to 'war game' it!

Better coach than Dimma, TBR?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Surprise surprise.

Picked that Lyon was the one available so Hound Dog made the call and Ratten was as good as gone.
Fancy having ‘to beg’ for his job!

The rest is PR to make it look like it didn’t happen that way so Lyon doesn’t look bad and the same for the Saints.

He gets announced maybe tomorrow and all is forgiven & forgotten.

The person in the middle though is Ratten. One of the nice guys. Maybe too nice for this group.

Lyon taking a chance coming back to the club he ‘torched’ on the way out and a ‘coach’ sacked to get him to Fremantle.

Let’s see I guess how this plays out.

Last edited:
Just listened to Ernie Merrick who apparently had a back-row seat to the goings on down at the Saints this year. .... some type of advisory role to Ratten... in the box, match days etc etc.

Not a huge fan of the president. .... Bomber Thompson had Frank Costa..... Damien Hardwick had Peggy O'Neal...... whackity, whack, whack.... Basically called the board a bunch of *smile* knuckleheads!

Ernies been sacked a few times too.

Wouldn't be expecting to much in the way of improvement from St Kiddenme for at least a couple of years n might even go backwards to start with.
They'll need a season to get up to speed with Lyon's game plan n probably another two seasons on top of that to overhaul their list. Reckon Wossy would want to be looking at a five year contract n almost complete control to have any chance of rebuilding this mob.

Yet across 24 seasons and 434 games as player or coach, he has 0 flags.
However, with Fitzroy, Brisbane, St Kilda and Fremantle, it does appear he is not averse to taking on the odd challenge.

Rod Reservoir lad & they never used to cry. If I was Rod first bloke I would give a serve & toughen up is King.

Yet across 24 seasons and 434 games as player or coach, he has 0 flags.
However, with Fitzroy, Brisbane, St Kilda and Fremantle, it does appear he is not averse to taking on the odd challenge.

Flags are hard to win alright.

It's an interesting discussion though, Lyon took his side to one of the best home and away seasons ever and lost the Grand Final to one of the best teams of the modern era. Also drew another Grand Final, lost the replay easily.

Luke Beveridge finished 7th and his team played a huge month and won the flag, made another Grand Final and got belted. Who is the better coach?

Flags are hard to win alright.

It's an interesting discussion though, Lyon took his side to one of the best home and away seasons ever and lost the Grand Final to one of the best teams of the modern era. Also drew another Grand Final, lost the replay easily.

Luke Beveridge finished 7th and his team played a huge month and won the flag, made another Grand Final and got belted. Who is the better coach?
The one with the flag.

No one cares about H&A records.

Clubs play football to win premierships.

Reactions: 3 users
The one with the flag.

No one cares about H&A records.

Clubs play football to win premierships.
For sure. Aside from anything else, Beveriedge got a club to win the flag from 7th, a team that had been in pretty ordinary form leading up to the finals. Great coaching effort.