Brexited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brexited

Don't care one way or another but I take my hat off to them for wanting to be in control of their own destiny and have the courage to vote that way instead of sticking with the status quo.

Not really. depending on what trade agreement remains, many companies who have HQ in the UK would need to move out to enjoy the EU trading benefits. If the EU play hardball, London, as a financial centre, could be screwed. Germany wouldn't mind becoming the financial centre of Europe.

Harry said:
Don't care one way or another

Translation: "I'm starting to realise they've made a terrible mistake"

Harry said:
but I take my hat off to them for wanting to be in control of their own destiny and have the courage to vote that way instead of sticking with the status quo.

Translation: "but I think it's great they just screwed their own economy and the Union with Scotland and Northern Ireland just to make a boneheaded point about taking back control, egged on by one Eton toff who wanted to get one over another Eton toff about running the Tory party."

Baloo said:
My point is that your statement works for both sides, not just the victorious Leavers

By the way, brickbats to the Remainers and their campaign as well - they stuffed it up well and truly. The Labour party is self-immolating as we speak.

My hunch says not much will change. Will probably be as many costs as benefits, and wouldn't surprise me if there are more benefits, economically speaking only. Not going with the Euro worked out for them, and I read today that only 20%-odd of their exports go to EU, and for all the talk, they'll probably stay that way, and the freeing-up of EU regs will benefit the other 80% of exports that go elsewhere.

Who knows, but the panic is already subsiding. The politics is still a schemozzle ATM.

antman said:
Translation: "I'm starting to realise they've made a terrible mistake"

Translation: "but I think it's great they just screwed their own economy and the Union with Scotland and Northern Ireland just to make a boneheaded point about taking back control, egged on by one Eton toff who wanted to get one over another Eton toff about running the Tory party."

Err no.

And I don't care.....really. The British will survive.

Hang on. What's one of your go to lines? Something about chicken little and the sky is falling. Not like you to Scaremonger.

Harry said:
Err no.

Hang on. What's one of your go to lines? Something about chicken little and the sky is falling. Not like you to Scaremonger.

Bravo!

Having London as the financial centre of Europe and at least on a par with Wall St globally will be a bullwark for them. Interestingly London voted REMAIN. But there will be penalities to leaving. EU is about sharing the load AND the wealth. Countries outside that EU that have "special relationships" pay for them. I agree that not much will change but I am both chuckling at and cringing for the Brexiters because when the dust settles their new leaders will tell them that they don't get to keep the money they were promised, it turns out that you can't have your cake and eat it.

Harry said:
Err no.

;D

Heh heh, thought the same. I thought Antman when out for lunch and left PRE open for someone else to post.

jb03 said:
;D

Heh heh, thought the same. I thought Antman when out for lunch and left PRE open for someone else to post.

You boys are right - after all, it's far better to get all angsty over who coaches the RFC than trivial events like Brexit.

Priorities - they really do matter :hihi

antman said:
You boys are right - after all, it's far better to get all angsty over who coaches the RFC than trivial events like Brexit.
For the majority of PRE you are correct. I am sure there is an angsty Brexit forum somewhere.

jb03 said:
For the majority of PRE you are correct. I am sure there is an angsty Brexit forum somewhere.

Many no doubt. I'm spending a lot of time on The Guardian, heaps of good angst there! I like infecting the Brexited thread though, is that OK? I didn't start it.

Here's some more leftie middle-class Brit angst to go on with:

So. You want me to be happy?
JUNE 26, 2016 ~ CLAIREBROADLEY
On Friday morning, I was given notice that my EU citizenship will be taken away.

The house in the sun – the one that I planned to retire to – is no longer for sale. My 2-year-old son will no longer be allowed to move freely through the EU when he grows up, as I was fortunate enough to do in my 20s.

The house that I am sitting in will lose 18% of its value. The food in my kitchen will cost 10% more. My country’s economy was 5th in the world; it is now 6th. And we have yet to see how far it will sink tomorrow.

The Scottish friends I have will now build a border between us. My friends in Ireland face a return to violence and conflict. (I saw terrorist violence in the UK when I was a child. It terrified me then, as it terrifies me now.)

Bitter? Angry? Resentful? You bet.

And do you know why this has happened?

Because two men plotted to shoehorn the Prime Minister out of office. They expected that they would lose a referendum, and gain power themselves, by stirring up a dissatisfied minority. They thought this was a brilliant plan. A gamble worth taking. Because – surely – the British public could not be so naive to believe what they said.

Unfortunately, they underestimated how successful they would be.

We have watched them lie, ignite xenophobia, spread hollow patriotism and promise money they will not have. They used desperate refugees as a weapon. They promised minuscule immigration figures that cannot be achieved without forfeiting free trade.

And let’s not forget that an MP was murdered by someone who shouted “freedom for Britain“. A sentiment that is so close to being an official slogan that it brings tears of rage to my eyes.

People tried to warn others what would happen if they won. People shared statistics from economists, world leaders and professors in EU law. And you know what the two men said?

“Don’t trust experts”.

These two idiots won the campaign they didn’t really want to win, by the smallest of margins, via a campaign based on a tissue of lies. We lost science funding. Regional funding. Cultural connections to our neighbours.

And now, people want me to be happy about it, and move on with my life.

No.

The night before the result, all of my friends confirmed they had placed a remain vote. Including one of my best friends, an Australian immigrant. We looked at the bookies’ odds. We were cautiously optimistic. We drank beer and crossed our fingers. We, the people who voted remain, are European. Most of us have had EU citizenship from the day we were born.

People who do not care much about the EU thought the vote was about something else, because they were told nothing bad would happen. These people took away the things we cared so much about. Our right to the future we had planned. Based on a lie. Based on hate. Based on nothing.

And now, do you know why the people who ran Vote Leave are so quiet?

They didn’t want to win. They didn’t expect to. They have no plan. No safety net. No strategy. No idea of what happens tomorrow morning.

So: we have no government. The opposition party is eating itself alive, because vile opportunists have been waiting for this moment for months. No politician wants to trigger Article 50, because they will split our country into three pieces within seconds. Scotland is itching to go. Businesses are pulling out of contracts. Grown men are shouting racist comments at 10-year-olds.

Those two men knew this would happen. But they gambled on it anyway.

And now, people want me to be happy about it. And move on with my life. And “make Britain great again”.

Because we “got our country back”. Apparently.

You know what?

You got your country back. You are welcome to it. By the time this sorry story has played out, there will not be anything left of it for the rest of us.

https://clairebroadley.com/2016/06/26/so-you-want-me-to-be-happy/

To be fair angry ant, they sound like first world problems. I'm sure he'll survive if he can afford a house in the sun.

Harry said:
To be fair angry ant, they sound like first world problems. I'm sure he'll survive if he can afford a house in the sun.

She but yes, she will. More first world problems but I found this pretty funny - The Sun told it's readers to vote Leave. Today they told them the consequences and many weren't happy ;D

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/the-sun-has-also-got-around-to-telling-its-readers-what-brexit-will-mean-and-they-are-not-happy--WySvafrAVZ

Murdoch is a cancer on global society. Scare and hate-mongering Fox news and UK and Aus tabloids. Has succeeded in stalling action on climate change that would/ could have easily have happened 10, 20 years ago and be bedded-down and normal by now. Will go down in history as a evil overlord of our times.

(don't feel that strongly about brexit, but if Murdoch wanted out, it was probably in the interests of average people to stay in. I feel very strongly about his stance and impact on climate change action)

England leaves the Euro and we join Eurovision.

Magical times.

KnightersRevenge said:
but I am both chuckling at and cringing for the Brexiters ...

When the bureaucrats, central bankers, politicians, media and big business are all united in telling you to vote one way you should run to vote the opposite.